Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 08:42 PM

458 posts, read 2,774,734 times

Advertisements

I'm seriously considering DFW as a place to relocate to from Louisville, KY. We went on a trip there in April and found it to be nice. It looks a lot more modern and up to date than Louisville does. It has most if not everything we want in the place we will move to. The weather in April was obviously great, but in my quest trying to find the right place I have encountered a lot of people, usually either people that aren't even from Dallas or angry transplants that continuously tell me not to move there... "It's nothing but pain and suffering with all of the heat and humidity and all of this..."

I feel like these people just don't like Dallas and just focus on the negatives. I personally can deal with the heat a lot more than I can a cold winter. It has been in the upper 90s and even into the low 100s here and while it's not comfortable or anything, I can deal with it. I played 18 holes of golf from 1-4pm, the hottest time of day, in a record setting 102 day and I was ok, I just needed plenty of water. The difference is, it's upper 90s here for about a month where it's like that in Dallas for about 3 months. Is it really THAT bad... I mean I know it's not pleasant but if you were coming from a place that never ever gets hot you would think you would be on the verge of melting if you stepped foot in this place.

So basically what I'm getting at, I want to hear it from the locals. The natives. The people who really know what they are talking about, not some bozo from Southern California that moved and regrets it. Do you like living in Dallas considering how hot it gets in the summer? It's obviously not exactly pleasant but can you deal with it and still get on with your life without being miserable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 08:44 PM

670 posts, read 2,998,208 times
Ironically I lived in SoCal, and other states as well. I don't find the summers unbearable in Dallas, but they are nicer weather wise in California. To me it's worth the trade off because I would NEVER be able to afford the lifestyle I can boating, fishing, a large NICE house in a safe area, vacations about 2-6 times a year if you count weekend trips, etc. I won't say I "adore" the heat, but the humidity to me is less than Southern Louisiana or Houston.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:58 PM

709 posts, read 3,472,546 times
I am born and raised in Dallas, Texas (suburb-Carrollton/Farmers Branch), by two parents from Jeffersonville, Indiana. I've lived here my entire life... soon to be 45 years and they have lived here 55 years. I absolutely love it and can say I am proud to be here. Interestly enough, I recently have been re-exploring the Dallas Metroplex area as I have a small son and of course I'm always looking for something to do. You can find tons of things to do. Outdoor or indoor. Sports, musuems, gardens, water venues, science venues, historical venues, plays, musicals, church, etc. You name it, it is here in Big D.

Everyone for the most part is friendly. I like the fact that people in Texas are from all over the place. The schools in most of the metroplex are top notch with the exception of a few areas. I also feel comfortable knowing that many of the top rated doctors in the United States are located right here at many of the major hospitals in Dallas.

Dallas, can be miserably hot but honestly for the most part the weather is pretty decent around here. This past month it has been hot and humid. Yet generally from late Sept. until June the weather is very bearable. We had a little more rain than usual this past spring but honestly we needed it. Jan/Feb can have it's moments with ice, but in general if it is too bad Dallas just shuts down and you don't have to worry about it. LOL!

Old 08-26-2007, 09:23 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I'm a native. This summer was not bad at all. We only had a couple of weeks of the super hot summer we usually get for a couple of months or more.

You can deal with it okay by staying inside. It's really a bummer if you want to do something outside or have to do something outside, like attend a funeral or sporting event or something. It seems like it's summer and you should be outside doing something, but really in the super bad heat the only thing you can do outside is go swimming. It's normal to have a sunny summer day and you can drive around and see totally empty parks and playgrounds and tennis courts and golf courses. You would think folks would be out playing, but they're not. Maybe it's the same with northern parts of the country and wintertime. You get stuck inside.

But again, this summer was a breeze. Mosquitos were very bad, but temperature wise it was great. Course, next summer we could end up with 39 straight days of over 100 degrees so who knows.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:38 PM

382 posts, read 954,097 times
We like the hot weather, its the reason we moved here 14 years ago from the Pacific NW. Well, and also the affordable housing prices. If you can stand up to July and August the payoff will be the Fall of the year. Usually its mild and very pleasant. We plan to stay 14 more years. Good Luck.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:56 AM

415 posts, read 1,717,977 times
I just moved back after two years in the great white north. Yes, it's hot. Yes, it does limit what you can (or maybe I should say want) to do.

But, in my opinion, it's easier to deal with the heat than the cold and snow. I can run outside here without spending 5 minutes getting dressed each time. At most, I have to put on shoes, but slip ons work almost year round. I don't have to spend 15-30 minutes clearing my car of snow to run an errand. I don't have to worry about losing body parts if I stay outside too long. And my nose doesn't run constantly.

In my personal experience, the people who don't like Dallas either are just generally unhappy and blame it on outside circumstances, or aren't comfortable with the Southern culture.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:08 AM

454 posts, read 1,338,778 times
I have lived here off and on all of my life. I've also lived in Colorado, New York, New Mexico, California, Montana and France. So, I have a lot to compare it to. Anyway, I think Dallas is a nice city. It is cosmopolitan and diverse and there are a lot of things to do. Dallas also has all kinds of unique neighborhoods.

All of that said, I would probably move if I could. My husband is from Montana and HATES it here. And really? the reasons I would want to move are only relevant to our lives so they wouldn't really apply to others.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:52 AM

81 posts, read 261,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL63087 View Post
I'm seriously considering DFW as a place to relocate to from Louisville, KY. We went on a trip there in April and found it to be nice. It looks a lot more modern and up to date than Louisville does. It has most if not everything we want in the place we will move to. The weather in April was obviously great, but in my quest trying to find the right place I have encountered a lot of people, usually either people that aren't even from Dallas or angry transplants that continuously tell me not to move there... "It's nothing but pain and suffering with all of the heat and humidity and all of this..."

I feel like these people just don't like Dallas and just focus on the negatives. I personally can deal with the heat a lot more than I can a cold winter. It has been in the upper 90s and even into the low 100s here and while it's not comfortable or anything, I can deal with it. I played 18 holes of golf from 1-4pm, the hottest time of day, in a record setting 102 day and I was ok, I just needed plenty of water. The difference is, it's upper 90s here for about a month where it's like that in Dallas for about 3 months. Is it really THAT bad... I mean I know it's not pleasant but if you were coming from a place that never ever gets hot you would think you would be on the verge of melting if you stepped foot in this place.

So basically what I'm getting at, I want to hear it from the locals. The natives. The people who really know what they are talking about, not some bozo from Southern California that moved and regrets it. Do you like living in Dallas considering how hot it gets in the summer? It's obviously not exactly pleasant but can you deal with it and still get on with your life without being miserable?

You been posting a lot in the Denver forum. I think you are best suited for Dallas, it has the weather you prefer vs the cold winters. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Come visit in between fall and summer though!

Colorado has enough transplants as it is, everyone wants to live there and lets try to keep it from being over crowded.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:48 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
I moved from Michigan in 1999. Haven't missed the winters one bit!

The heat here can be tough, but I figure it this way: I go from my air conditioned home to the air conditioned car to the air conditioned office. The heat doesn't cause your car to slide into a ditch.

Homes are affordable here. We have a large International airport. We're centrally located in the country, so flying places is easy and with all the money we save on housing, we can vacation more (that is, if you aren't working on your house... hehe - the downside of home ownership... maintenance). Adding to the affordability - no state income tax.

I have enjoyed the last 8 years in Dallas and have no plans to move anywhere else any time soon. My wife and I - even though we're in our 30's - have discussed staying in Dallas indefinitely. We love Dallas proper for all it's unique eating establishments. We love our proximity to the symphony hall. We love how close to the center of the city we can live, yet still be in a quiet neighborhood. We love the direction Dallas is moving - increasing density, increasing shopping, increasing public transit, increasing public parks/spaces. The recent trend of adding mixed use developments will be a wonderful addition to the city. The list goes on.

What don't we like?

Well, the heat is tough, but IMO, it's managable. This is a VERY personal thing and varies from person to person.

Electrical prices - at 12 cents/KwH, we are tied with California for the highest electrical prices in the US.

Some people complain about property taxes being high, but IMO, they are in-line with other areas of the country when comparing equal housing. Just be aware that you will pay ~2.25% of the price of your home each year in property taxes. Don't succumb to the temptation to buy a massive home just because they're so cheap here - remember, you'll have to pay to heat/cool it and pay those taxes (and furnish it!).

When all is said and done, would I make the move back to Dallas if I had it to do all over again? ABSOLUTELY! Only, I would have moved here 5 years earlier.

Brian

Old 08-27-2007, 09:40 AM

81 posts, read 261,805 times
The heat is tough but I agree it is managable. I come from Colorado and my frist year here was a little difficult, but I got used to it. I will say summer nights are nice of you have a pool. You can swim and not get cold after getting out. But you need a pool in Dallas and live in it. Otherwise you go from AC car to AC to resturant, theatre etc.... gets old after awhile.

I do miss the winters though. I think it's what you are used to. I am used to cool fall weather and new wool sweaters, snow suring the holidays etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas