Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:15 PM

13 posts, read 17,022 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a 6 month internship at Texas Instruments from Jan-June and will need an apartment, but I know absolutely nothing about Dallas. I've been trying to do my own research, but it's hard when I don't know the area. I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards nicer, more affordable areas that aren't too terribly far from where I'll be working (TI's office is right by the intersection of 635 and 75, just south of Richardson). To be honest I'm not a party animal by any means and will probably spend most of my time when I'm off work drumming exercising, or continuing to do work stuff. So being close to the bars/nightlife isn't a priority (I'm not against it either).

If someone could give me any sort of indication where to look and where to avoid and maybe a kind of brief overview of these areas I'd greatly appreciate it.

The areas I'm really look at are Richardson, Plano, Garland, and Highland/University Park.

I already tried doing some searches but couldn't come up with too much. I must not have used the right search terms.

I greatly appreciate any help!

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 11:48 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
The Village Apartments in Dallas are the most recommended for your age for newcomers to the area. Great safe area close to most everything... and only 7.3 miles south of TI on I75, according to Google.

Pull up their website and look around... there are several apartment complexes in the Village with different pricing, so hopefully you'll find one that meets your budget. Also, do a search on this Dallas Forum for the Village Apartments.... you'll find several threads here w/loads more info.

Best of luck to you!

Old 11-24-2011, 10:30 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompssc View Post
I'm taking a 6 month internship at Texas Instruments from Jan-June and will need an apartment, but I know absolutely nothing about Dallas. I've been trying to do my own research, but it's hard when I don't know the area. I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards nicer, more affordable areas that aren't too terribly far from where I'll be working (TI's office is right by the intersection of 635 and 75, just south of Richardson). To be honest I'm not a party animal by any means and will probably spend most of my time when I'm off work drumming exercising, or continuing to do work stuff. So being close to the bars/nightlife isn't a priority (I'm not against it either).

If someone could give me any sort of indication where to look and where to avoid and maybe a kind of brief overview of these areas I'd greatly appreciate it.

The areas I'm really look at are Richardson, Plano, Garland, and Highland/University Park.

I already tried doing some searches but couldn't come up with too much. I must not have used the right search terms.

I greatly appreciate any help!

Scott
If close to bars and nightlife is not a priority have a look @ the Courtyard at Campbell. I don't know if they "officially do 6 month leases or not, but I know of two grad students who asked and were allowed to do a short term lease there when they wanted to be away from the shoddily built, and party atmosphere filled apartments near UTD. They are the only apartments in a lovely neighborhood full of 3-4 thousand square foot single family homes. Very safe, nicely situated for where you would work, and right on the border of Dallas and Richardson. The neighborhood is set off with 2 "lakes"- large ponds really - with ducks, nice mature trees, and some surprisingly decent fishing, as they are regularly stocked. Down Campbell road by 75 is Prairie Creek park. Good place for running/exercising in pleasant surroundings - beautiful when the spring wildflowers bloom. Not a party area, but if you are younger you will find people your own age in the area - try Cafe Brazil, Half Price Books, or the Bowling Alley, all at Campbell and 75. This is because of UTD being right in the area, a school with a good number of young grad students, and if you are working an internship at TI, UT being a science and engineering centered school, you would probably have no difficulty meeting people of similar interests.

It sounds like that area might suit you.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:22 AM

173 posts, read 398,909 times
The Village offers leases of varying length--you will just pay a premium for the shorter term. Great location and exercise facility on site, close to lots of amenities.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:02 PM

827 posts, read 1,672,057 times
PM sent.

Old 11-24-2011, 11:23 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Quote:
The areas I'm really look at are Richardson, Plano, Garland, and Highland/University Park
Which TI campus will you be at? Their headquarters and "North Campus" are at 635/75, but they also have substantial offices in Sherman and Plano. Additionally, RFAB is in Richardson.

Highland/University Park is out of your budget no matter what. If you are based in Plano, I'd consider Plano. Richardson really works for any location.

Sending you a PM.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
The Village Apartments in Dallas are the most recommended for your age for newcomers to the area. Great safe area close to most everything... and only 7.3 miles south of TI on I75, according to Google.

Pull up their website and look around... there are several apartment complexes in the Village with different pricing, so hopefully you'll find one that meets your budget. Also, do a search on this Dallas Forum for the Village Apartments.... you'll find several threads here w/loads more info.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks! I checked out the Village and read the thread about it and it seems like almost everyone in Dallas has lived there at one point or another, so it seems like it must be a really nice place. I'll definitely be adding that to my list of possible apartments. I'm receiving a stipend to cover moving costs and I think I'm going to use part of it to fly down there for a day and rent a car and look at a handful of apartments that are recommended by you all and other sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macbeth2003 View Post
If close to bars and nightlife is not a priority have a look @ the Courtyard at Campbell. I don't know if they "officially do 6 month leases or not, but I know of two grad students who asked and were allowed to do a short term lease there when they wanted to be away from the shoddily built, and party atmosphere filled apartments near UTD. They are the only apartments in a lovely neighborhood full of 3-4 thousand square foot single family homes. Very safe, nicely situated for where you would work, and right on the border of Dallas and Richardson. The neighborhood is set off with 2 "lakes"- large ponds really - with ducks, nice mature trees, and some surprisingly decent fishing, as they are regularly stocked. Down Campbell road by 75 is Prairie Creek park. Good place for running/exercising in pleasant surroundings - beautiful when the spring wildflowers bloom. Not a party area, but if you are younger you will find people your own age in the area - try Cafe Brazil, Half Price Books, or the Bowling Alley, all at Campbell and 75. This is because of UTD being right in the area, a school with a good number of young grad students, and if you are working an internship at TI, UT being a science and engineering centered school, you would probably have no difficulty meeting people of similar interests.

It sounds like that area might suit you.
I also just checked out the website for this one and it certainly seems nice for the price, which looks like it will be a little lower than the Village. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Which TI campus will you be at? Their headquarters and "North Campus" are at 635/75, but they also have substantial offices in Sherman and Plano. Additionally, RFAB is in Richardson.

Highland/University Park is out of your budget no matter what. If you are based in Plano, I'd consider Plano. Richardson really works for any location.

Sending you a PM.
I responded to your PM, but just for everyone else's clarification, I'll be working at the North Campus at 635/75. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2011, 12:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
HP/UP can be quite affordable for a student. Many families rent out their over-the-garage apartments ("backhouses") for $500-800/mo.

But that's neither here nor there since OP would be better served living somewhere near UTD in Richardson or the Village apartments in Dallas.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:37 PM

Default Need help finding affordable short term (6-month) apartment

Hello,

I posted the previous about being a college kid interning at TI needing housing advice and you guys really came through, so I'm hoping you can be as helpful with this. Basically, I'm having a really hard time finding someone to sublease my place in Bloomington, which is costing me $500 a month and which I'll have to keep paying through my internship. This means I'm going to be pretty strapped for cash and will have to look for more affordable housing.

I previously was pretty much sold on The Village because it was so highly recommended and a decent price. However, the 6-month penalty jacks the rates up so freaking much, that the closest apartment to my budget is $740/mo. I could do this if I wasn't paying for my room back home as well, but unfortunately I think that's going to be the case. This means I'd like to find a place that's mid-600's if at all possible. Does anyone have any recommendations on a decent place that has 6-month rates in the mid 600's?

My internship is in the North Dallas/Richardson area at the intersection of 75 and 635.

Thanks!

Scott

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-06-2011 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: Threads merged - no need to start a new one

Old 12-06-2011, 01:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Maybe one of this extended-stay motels? They usually have a cheaper monthly price than weekly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas