Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2007, 09:20 PM

177 posts, read 857,528 times

Advertisements

are buying model homes from builder usually a good deal or a bad deal from resale point of view ? say if i pay $100k extra for buying a model home which supposedly has $150k worth of upgrades - mostly in flooring, lighting, cabinets, wallpaints, bathroom faucets, etc. (on a base price of $400k), then during resale, will I be able to recoup this $100k or will I lose a large part of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 09:36 PM

80 posts, read 248,066 times
As a realtor (in CA) I dont usually reccomend buying a model home. As a house flipper (in CA) I know you can do the upgrades for about 50% less than what you will pay from the Builder but if you dont have the time or inclination and are planning on calling this your home then it shouldnt matter but in 5 years when you go to sell it wont matter that it was once a model home and will be compared to like homes in your subdivision

Old 08-28-2007, 10:41 PM

20 posts, read 43,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmama View Post
As a realtor (in CA) I dont usually reccomend buying a model home. As a house flipper (in CA) I know you can do the upgrades for about 50% less than what you will pay from the Builder but if you dont have the time or inclination and are planning on calling this your home then it shouldnt matter but in 5 years when you go to sell it wont matter that it was once a model home and will be compared to like homes in your subdivision
where can I get preliminary estimates online from ?

eg. How much does a granite countertop cost ? A wall of bookshelves for the study ? surround sound wiring ? austin stone fireplace ? italian marble foyer ?

will most of these projects require a professional or can these be DIY also ?

Old 08-29-2007, 06:28 AM

43 posts, read 228,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikishan View Post
where can I get preliminary estimates online from ?

eg. How much does a granite countertop cost ? A wall of bookshelves for the study ? surround sound wiring ? austin stone fireplace ? italian marble foyer ?

will most of these projects require a professional or can these be DIY also ?
Let the pro's do it, your not going to get rates like they do, so don't waste your time...Been there done that...

If you are buying a model home, especially in this market, you should be able to get a great deal on it...Also, remember if they are selling the model, they are closing out that community (at least that builder is) so they want to move that puppy...I have seen $600k Models go for $470 etc...It just depends on how bad they wanna move it..and of course the community it self plays into this...

As for the upgrades, whatever the base price is, plus 30%-40% is there cost on up grades...roughly..my .02

Old 08-29-2007, 06:54 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandylovesFrisco View Post
Let the pro's do it, your not going to get rates like they do, so don't waste your time...Been there done that...
Depends on the project. Agreed for granite countertops, disagreed for fireplace stone surround, marble tiles and surround sound wiring.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:46 PM

80 posts, read 248,066 times
I agree with Galore depending on your ability alot of project can be acomplished by you...dont attempt granite though you need a special saw and if you cut wrong youve wasted an entire slab. Also I stay away from the big box stores for contractor work you can usually go to a smaller store and use the specials the big box is using to negotiate price (10% off,upgrades of some sort etc...) On resale if its going to be several years from now everyone else in the community will of put these upgrades in so the fact that you were a model will be obsolete
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: