Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 06:18 PM

7 posts, read 22,439 times

Advertisements

My husband is thinking about transferring to that warehouse. What areas would you suggest us to look into moving. We are looking for a safe and family friendly area. Good schools are important also since our children will be 10 and 6 when we get there. Also I think we are looking for homes in the 200k-220k price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
don't know that much about Denton--
it has been growing over past few years--lots of new road construction but Denton itself lacks lot of the amenities that are found in neighboring areas--
Denton ISD has some good schools but not really considered as good as Plano or Lewisville ISD

lots of college students and student housing in Denton for singles that share a house and for married students
also lots of older housing in Denton

is your husband willing to make a commute or do you want to live close to job?

Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 AM

14 posts, read 51,427 times
You might look at Aubrey, a small town, just NE of Denton about 10-15 mins. It would be about 25-30 min. drive to the new Target DC. There are a few places around Aubrey that I would suggest that you NOT buy a house, but you would have to email me directly to give that info. The Aubrey school district is a good school, and your kids won't be lost in the large Denton school district. Rule out Little Elm!!! The growth there killed the town, the school, and the traffic is BAD! Sanger is just north of Denton, but to me, there's just not much soul to the town (my opinion). Same with Krum. Ponder isn't far, a very small town, but I don't know much about it. Just south of Denton is Corinth/Lake Dallas area. About halfway between Denton/Lewisville, but awfully congested and traffic around there during rush hours are a nightmare. (rush hour is roughly 7-9 A.M. and 4-6:30 P.M.) but can be longer with weather/accidents.

Old 01-01-2012, 01:43 PM

812 posts, read 2,184,401 times
I liked Corinth when I visited a co-worker that lived there. It seemed to have sandy soil unlike the cursed clay in the rest of north TX. And a lot more trees and some elevation changes. Home prices are reasonable. Probably an easy commute.

Old 01-01-2012, 04:56 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Sanger is a more rural area. If your kids wanted to have horses, show livestock, etc. then Sanger is very popular. Aubrey and Pilot Point are also rural areas that are nice.

The weat side of Flower Mound will be more residential and less rural. Denton itself also has lots of nice areas, too.

I agree to rule out Little Elm, and Lewisville. Don't make a commute that takes you across the I-35E bridge over Lake Lewisville due to the horrible traffic.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:18 PM

anything on I-35east is the pits to me--old road, crowded, bad drivers
I would say look WEST--fewer trees than the east side but Sanger, Roanoke, Haslet --Roanoke especially--are growing towns
NWISD is decent ISD--distribution center is on SW side of Denton--would make commute easier
plus you would be closer to 114/Southlake/Grapevine where shopping and other anemities are closer
377 is busy 2 lane road but traffic moves pretty well considering--because there are few lights--
getting on and off it can be problem if you want to turn against traffic
area is rural--have to be careful where you buy
probably gas well drilling pretty active--watch for compressor farms and larger distribution pipelines in area

search for "dish, tx" on Google and read about problems that town has had due to gas drilling--some of it is hype but the city sold itself out to get revenue and now regrets it

Old 01-02-2012, 02:02 PM

205 posts, read 481,102 times
My sister lives in Denton with her family and they love it. Look into Hickory Creek you'll find homes in the price range you looking at the schools are good. We just moved there from out of state and the schools are good. Lake dallas is kind of old I wouldnt live there but just on the other side of the I35 you have hickory creek, corrinth and parts of denton. Its not very devloped so shopping you have to go up to denton or highland village which ist only about a 15 minute drive.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 PM

the drive on I-35 from Lewisville up to Denton is horrible--make it twice during morning and afternoon rush hour and you will have enough of it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas