Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:49 PM

247 posts, read 568,001 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: see comment The map on the townhome developers website made the townhomes appear to be close to what I call Fair Park - which block by block may not be "Fair Park" but its relatively close. What I have always called Fair Park is anything south of I-30, but close to AND especially east of 45 and 175 going away from downtown a couple miles. Either way, like 80%+ or more of the city of Dallas - it's a poverty stricken, crime infested area with bad schools. The other two locations would be a better choice in my opinion, considering she wants to stay in or near downtown. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Moderator cut: Off-Topic

The Cedars and Fair Park are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT NEIGHBORHOODS SEPARATED BY A FRIGGIN' FREEWAY. They're 4.1-ish miles apart from each other, hardly "on the edge of Fair Park".

Goodness!!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-04-2012 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: unnecessarily rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 01:26 PM

350 posts, read 867,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
Moderator cut: see comment The map on the townhome developers website made the townhomes appear to be close to what I call Fair Park - which block by block may not be "Fair Park" but its relatively close. What I have always called Fair Park is anything south of I-30, but close to AND especially east of 45 and 175 going away from downtown a couple miles. Either way, like 80%+ or more of the city of Dallas - it's a poverty stricken, crime infested area with bad schools. The other two locations would be a better choice in my opinion, considering she wants to stay in or near downtown. =)
So the OP should avoid The Cedars because it's too close to Fair Park but consider Deep Ellum... which is closer to Fair Park? You're not making any sense.

I'd also like to point out that someone who believes over 80% of the city is "poverty stricken" 1. is an extremely poor source of information on Dallas neighborhoods and 2. has a very warped sense of reality.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:29 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt3x View Post
so the op should avoid the cedars because it's too close to fair park but consider deep ellum... Which is closer to fair park? You're not making any sense.

I'd also like to point out that someone who believes over 80% of the city is "poverty stricken" 1. Is an extremely poor source of information on dallas neighborhoods and 2. Has a very warped sense of reality.
+1

Old 01-04-2012, 01:48 PM

169 posts, read 433,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas90210 View Post
Either way, like 80%+ or more of the city of Dallas - it's a poverty stricken, crime infested area with bad schools. The other two locations would be a better choice in my opinion, considering she wants to stay in or near downtown. =)
Are you sure you don't live in far north, Lilly white Dallas? This is *not accurate* by any means.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 17,796 times
Default Should I buy in Cedar Crest (Akard townhomes)

Thanks everybody for the responses!

I think I am going to pass on it. While I LOVE the place and even the direction that The Cedars is going.. in terms of buying... it may just be too risky and I defintely don't want to be stuck with this townhome in 5 years; it's been on the market for almost a year. My concern is largely resale because I know my lifestyle will change in the next coming years.

I saw some homes in east Dallas.. by Baylor that I liked... one particuarly was in my price range ($169K) but had a HOA of $350.

My Realtor is going to be pissed but I may just keep renting if I can't a good deal.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:37 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acntx View Post
+1
+2!!

Old 01-04-2012, 03:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Yes Turtle Creek gave you good advice about townhomes and selling in five years. Even in other areas, it probably does not pay to buy and hold for such a short period. East Dallas has been appreciating nicely (16% and 12% in the last two quarterly reports) and I am banking on that continuing, but I won't be selling anytime soon.

Most people I grew up with in East Dallas love the Cedars and especially Lee Harvey's - it's just our kind of place. Boys Named Sue, a band comprised of East Dallas 'kids', often plays there...so I think you will like East Dallas.

But BEWARE some of the kids from the north side of Fair Park go to our secondary schools! I am sure that would have the 90210 guy cowering in the corner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas