Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 10:27 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times

Advertisements

I actually think Southlake's program took it to another level last season. They took a young and not all that talented defense and became profoundly skilled at team tackling over the course of the season. It was a minor breakthrough of sorts for the coach that I think it's a lesson/technique that's going to stay with the program for years. They contained some of the best running offenses in the State (and top talent) patiently, smartly, working as a unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 12:13 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
The ethnic makeup of the city was 94.54% White, 1.39% African American, 0.25% Native American, 1.79% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.81% from other ethnic groups, and 1.20% from two or more ethnic groups. Hispanic or Latino of any ethnic group were 3.67% of the population.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southlake,_Texas
How do you win football games with a local population of 1.39 % AA ?
Put him at QB lol, that's what SLC did Not to mention the fact that they robbed Skyline in the state playoffs last year.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:30 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Put him at QB lol, that's what SLC did Not to mention the fact that they robbed Skyline in the state playoffs last year.
There was no question on the Skyline call. Even the 3 TV sports anchors who reviewed it over and over again in slow mo said it definitely crossed the line. It was a great call by the ref

Old 04-07-2012, 01:49 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
Westlake and Lake Travis in Austin are both like that also. Affluent suburbs of Austin who are both very good at football. It's the hard work, determination and system that the players buy into.

I would also say that Highland Park is usually good at football.

Why do these schools win? I'll say it's not because of the natural athleticism.

Er, Detroit Lions QB Matt Stafford is an alum of HPHS. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's got at least a little "natural athleticism", not that 5,000 yards passing in an NFL season might be an indicator of that or anything.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:17 PM

326 posts, read 685,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post

Er, Detroit Lions QB Matt Stafford is an alum of HPHS. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's got at least a little "natural athleticism", not that 5,000 yards passing in an NFL season might be an indicator of that or anything.
I was just making a point that affluent areas typically are really good at football.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:48 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
I was just making a point that affluent areas typically are really good at football.
OK, very true, and it's likely a combination of a number of items. "Hard work, discipline and determination" are obviously factors. I would also suspect that affluent areas which put some value on football also can afford above-average coaches and facilities that can help players practice and get better.

I would agree that the lower the level of play, the more important coaching/facilities/hard work/discipline are compared to athleticism. The higher up the chain you go, the more those other factors get taken for granted as being well taken care of (at the high school level there are probably places that have "weight rooms" barely worthy of the name, while at the NFL level many of the players probably have equipment IN THEIR HOMES that's as good or better than some of those schools, and work out in a strictly regimented fashion with the assistance of team trainers and their own outside personnel).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas