Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 AM

71 posts, read 153,595 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Iam planning to buy a new home and looking around. I looked at one home site its a brand new home and everthing looks great except for a crack which run throught the foundation slab. Probably the slabe in 4 to 9 inches thick...My thought are probably when they build the slab even before it got cured they ran a heavy truck which migh have caused it.

I just want to know is there any cause of concern ?

will the crack grow bigger once the house settles?

what generally is done to the slab foundation, I mean how it will be repaired?

Last edited by DallasDream; 12-13-2011 at 11:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:46 AM

I wanted to buy this home. But now in double minds, should i go for it or not. Your help is much appreciated. The builder wants to close the deal by month end and i do not have much time. Please help in what are the pros and cons of buying this house.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:06 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,883 times
I would definitely get an opinion from a structural engineer before I bought. A crack in a new house is somewhat alarming, but after looking at houses in the DFW area for the past few months and realizing how common foundation issues are, I wouldn't run from one that already had the repair performed.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:10 PM

690 posts, read 1,729,309 times
Foundation repairs can be very costly. You difinetely want a reputable company to come check it out.
$500 initial structural engineer cost may save you $5K-10K in repair.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
I think it cracked b/c of settling, not someone "drove a truck over it." If you look at houses under construction, they sit up higher by a good bit from the yard. Grading and landscaping are the last things to be done. I bet the builder is anxious to get rid of this disaster!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-13-2011 at 05:32 PM..

Old 12-13-2011, 07:27 PM

Thanks for your input. The size of the crack is vertical and its only runs along the garage floor and to one side of the the slab....Guys what are your thought should i go for it or not to buy home.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:27 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Sure, buy the home if you like it... Just make sure you negotiate 5-10k off the purchase price to fix the foundation.

Foundation problems don't go away. In fact, if you have a problem, they only get worse over time. A large crack will get water in it that could freeze and expand, making it wider. Heat cycles from summer to winter also will make it bigger as it expands and contracts. Sooner or later (sooner!) you'll see cracks in the drywall from other areas around it, especially if you have an upstairs above the crack.

No new foundation should have a crack in it. Period. Over time, they may develop with the weight of cars being in the garage or the house settling, but when it is first poured, there should be no problems.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:26 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,257,217 times
I am very curious to know who the builder is. I agree with McKinneyOwner's post.

How do you know that there are no other cracks in the areas where the carpet is? It's a red flag because it's a brand new home. The builder should redo the floor and you need to have your own independent structural engineer look at it if you really like the home.

Naima

Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 AM

3,072 posts, read 8,415,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasDream View Post
Thanks for your input. The size of the crack is vertical and its only runs along the garage floor and to one side of the the slab....Guys what are your thought should i go for it or not to buy home.
Can you provide a little more description of the crack?
  • Specifically where does it start?
  • Where does it end?
  • How long is it?
  • Is it straight or an angle across a corner?
  • Is it hairline wide or wider (can you stick a paperclip end into it easily without forcing)?
  • If you run your finger across it do you feel a lip to it? If so is it very high?
  • Do you see any corresponding cracks outside on the foundation wall or cracks through the brick or mortar?
  • Are there any sheetrock cracks nearby? Look around the garage door corners, wall to wall joints, wall to ceiling joints, etc.
  • If you follow the direction of the crack, either way, all the way to the far home wall are there any sheetrock or tile cracks? Are there any cracks in the far outside walls, etc.?
After the concrete is poured, and before they tension the Post Tension cables (if PT foundation) the foundation has very little structural protection, even with the minimal rebar they might put in. Cracks can develop either through shrinkage or movement. From your description it is hard to tell how significant, or insignificant, the crack might be.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:38 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
With the hundreds, if not thousands of homes on the market, I would skip this one and move on. That said, we just purchased an older home (1986 custom built) that has already had the foundation repaired. Still, if we had been in the market for a brand new home, there is no way we would have considered one with obvious problems from the get-go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas