Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2012, 05:00 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,277 times

Advertisements

What is your opinion on say - northeast Keller? Right smack next to Southlake?

I have seen and am very attracted to Manors at Waterford and I can see that the lots would be so much more expensive had it been a Southlake address. That said, it's right across the street from Southlake and in a very nice area.

What's the consensus?

Do you think this part of (northeast) Keller would appreciate or retain value better than other parts of Keller?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 05:09 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times
Nice over there, my brother lives on that end of Southlake. A little far off from the Town Center, but smack dab in the middle of both Keller and SL Town Centers.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:34 PM

It's right off 114 too.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:53 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times
We looked at Hidden lakes right on the border of Southlake.We loved it but could not commute for work.In my opinion,it is the best subdivision in Keller.It is a golf course community

Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
developments like Manors of Waterford are designed to play off that same proximity/desire to be in Southlake but without the Southlake taxes--of course you are also doing w/o Carroll ISD...

your question is really will they retain/grow value like they started out--since lux homes like those at 1MM+ or close to it are the most expensive in Keller...
when you buy at the top of the market it is always hard to raise that ceiling--
Southlake has more homes over 1MM than Keller--

you should be checking how many new developments for Keller are scheduled that are going to start close to 1MM--
high end development has really born brunt of damage from RE crunch--at least in the NE Tarrant area--
many custom builders had problems staying afloat--
there is lot of inventory on market over 800K in the near 3==Keller, Southlake, Colleyville

there are some other neighborhoods in north Keller that have homes that started close to 1MM--like along Bourland Rd--on the edge of the Harmonsen Farm development--the acre lot homes that front Bourland built by Drees and Highland's arm (forget the name)...
the last part of the development along Bear Creek Parkway that is across from the golf course has homes that are close to 1MM and smaller lots than an acre

that north Keller area is custom builders--some of the same ones building in Southlake/Colleyville/Westlake, large lots, and uses a dynamic that Keller tried to take advantage of when it went to larger lot/high $$ development
Larry Cole and other developers bought land cheaper in Keller and hoped to get people to move there especially when the news of Fidelity coming to Westlake broke out...

my take based on probably some dated info is that the roads in that area can use some help and Keller was not not really in rush to improve them...mainly because of all the damage that construction traffic does to roads anyway--
many of them are/were two lane--open drainage--stop signs vs lights--and at certain times fo the day there is good deal of traffic out there
Ottinger rd when I last drove it was borderline dangerous in heavy rain--uneven, pot holes (from construction trucks probably), and narrow...
there are also very few streetlights...
of course some of the same is true for the north part of Southlake -- north of 114 where there is still open land for development

the schools in that area were some of the best in Keller several years ago when we were house shopping--have not checked their ratings lately or the high school they are zoned for--
that would be factor since not all Keller HS are considered equal

you should also consider that Keller has different drilling standards for gas wells than Southlake does and there are wells in that area and land under lease from what I know
I would check about pipelines

right now I would say that it is more risky to buy home in north Keller and hope to see it grow in value than the same type of home in Southlake or Colleyville--

if that is significant factor in your decision tree--then you are probably better off buying in Colleyville or Southlake...and there are houses in that price range in Westlake as well...

Old 01-15-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
We looked at Hidden lakes right on the border of Southlake.We loved it but could not commute for work.In my opinion,it is the best subdivision in Keller.It is a golf course community
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. I don't like huge master planned communities and you cannot compare Manors of Waterford with Hidden Lakes.

The homes are on different price levels.

MOW range between 1M to 2M while HL is under 650K.

To call HL the best is a stretch. I'm not even sure if I can say that about MOW. I'm sure there are better.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:25 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times
Hidden lakes seemed great for the under $600,000 range.The topography was nice and the neighborhood had great amenities.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Hidden lakes seemed great for the under $600,000 range.The topography was nice and the neighborhood had great amenities.
Yes I understand - but you have to be a little careful with blanket statements like stating it is the best neighborhood in Keller. There are so many great neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
developments like Manors of Waterford are designed to play off that same proximity/desire to be in Southlake but without the Southlake taxes--of course you are also doing w/o Carroll ISD...

your question is really will they retain/grow value like they started out--since lux homes like those at 1MM+ or close to it are the most expensive in Keller...
when you buy at the top of the market it is always hard to raise that ceiling--
Southlake has more homes over 1MM than Keller--

you should be checking how many new developments for Keller are scheduled that are going to start close to 1MM--
high end development has really born brunt of damage from RE crunch--at least in the NE Tarrant area--
many custom builders had problems staying afloat--
there is lot of inventory on market over 800K in the near 3==Keller, Southlake, Colleyville

there are some other neighborhoods in north Keller that have homes that started close to 1MM--like along Bourland Rd--on the edge of the Harmonsen Farm development--the acre lot homes that front Bourland built by Drees and Highland's arm (forget the name)...
the last part of the development along Bear Creek Parkway that is across from the golf course has homes that are close to 1MM and smaller lots than an acre

that north Keller area is custom builders--some of the same ones building in Southlake/Colleyville/Westlake, large lots, and uses a dynamic that Keller tried to take advantage of when it went to larger lot/high $$ development
Larry Cole and other developers bought land cheaper in Keller and hoped to get people to move there especially when the news of Fidelity coming to Westlake broke out...

my take based on probably some dated info is that the roads in that area can use some help and Keller was not not really in rush to improve them...mainly because of all the damage that construction traffic does to roads anyway--
many of them are/were two lane--open drainage--stop signs vs lights--and at certain times fo the day there is good deal of traffic out there
Ottinger rd when I last drove it was borderline dangerous in heavy rain--uneven, pot holes (from construction trucks probably), and narrow...
there are also very few streetlights...
of course some of the same is true for the north part of Southlake -- north of 114 where there is still open land for development

the schools in that area were some of the best in Keller several years ago when we were house shopping--have not checked their ratings lately or the high school they are zoned for--
that would be factor since not all Keller HS are considered equal

you should also consider that Keller has different drilling standards for gas wells than Southlake does and there are wells in that area and land under lease from what I know
I would check about pipelines

right now I would say that it is more risky to buy home in north Keller and hope to see it grow in value than the same type of home in Southlake or Colleyville--

if that is significant factor in your decision tree--then you are probably better off buying in Colleyville or Southlake...and there are houses in that price range in Westlake as well...
Thanks for the info L2R. I will add, I think Keller has a higher property tax rate than Southlake. 2.6 vs 2.5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas