Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 09:59 AM

653 posts, read 946,424 times

Advertisements

I'm super excited to visit Dallas' Farmers' Market (the largest in the US! - just imagine how much asparagus THEY have!) and there's also a great list of farmers' markets here! I love to cook, and could eat fresh peas and artichokes alllll day long (great, now I'm hungry lol)!

Which is YOUR favorite farmers' market, CSA, or local farm with a stand on their property (that may not have a website) in DFW?

If they have mouth-watering fruits and veggies, tell me about them! Mmmmm, tomatoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 10:24 AM

690 posts, read 1,729,959 times
Refer to a previous posting by bstyet2be entry 2 or 3:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...owntown-2.html

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-21-2012 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: added more info.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:27 AM

690 posts, read 1,729,959 times
Refer to city data forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...your-city.html

Old 01-21-2012, 10:57 AM

Thanks so much! I'd read those, but while they list the same farmers' markets I'd already found on google, there weren't many opinions in those threads on which market people liked best, or even possibly farms that don't have websites at all.

Here in Baltimore, we have a few farms on the outskirts of town, or on the drive to the beach, but you have to know where they are as their only form of advertising is their address and word of mouth.

We also have some farmers that bring their produce into town and sell it out of the back of a truck, but you have to know where they regularly park, what times they're usually there, if they're selling real produce they farmed or something they pruchased from the local market.

I've learned that anyone can sell vegetables, but you have to go by word of mouth to find the ones that are the best at what they do (just like anything else), and being a foodie, having quality vegetables is important to me. If I had the space, I'd grow them myself. Maybe one day.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:33 AM

574 posts, read 1,479,159 times
Are you moving to DFW or just visiting?

Personally I was disappointed with the lack of variety. The majority of the stands are produce resellers that carry the same fruits and veggies. You will find few farms selling their bounty. And the quality of the produce, at least for me, has been very hit or miss. Try to find a vendor who will let you check through what you're buying. I've had my share of good-looking produce on top and damaged/close to rotting produce underneath.

We recently moved here so I have not visited other area markets. I am looking forward to the start of the season for several other markets like White Rock and Grapevine.

I really hope you find something to like at DFM. I am afraid I have been spoiled by the farmers markets in Santa Monica so my bar for comparison purposes may be set too high.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
Are you moving to DFW or just visiting?

Personally I was disappointed with the lack of variety. The majority of the stands are produce resellers that carry the same fruits and veggies. You will find few farms selling their bounty. And the quality of the produce, at least for me, has been very hit or miss. Try to find a vendor who will let you check through what you're buying. I've had my share of good-looking produce on top and damaged/close to rotting produce underneath.

We recently moved here so I have not visited other area markets. I am looking forward to the start of the season for several other markets like White Rock and Grapevine.

I really hope you find something to like at DFM. I am afraid I have been spoiled by the farmers markets in Santa Monica so my bar for comparison purposes may be set too high.
Great tips. Thanks!

In several months, I'll be relocating to a city I can thaw out in. When I left CA, the plan was always to return when everything I needed to take care of was over. Unfortunately, try as I might, I'm not getting the same job responses in CA that I am in TX. I'm glad I had a plan B and started looking there. I believe all things happen for a reason. After the move, I'm sure I'll learn what that reason is.

As for CA produce, I think you're right. It's easy to get spoiled there. Not as good as CA, but we have amazing produce in MD too, IF you know where to go. It took a lot of trial and error, as well as word of mouth, to locate the best (and different farmers are better at different things). Since I'm a foodie, and most of my meals revolve around vegetables, having good quality veggies is important to me (who wants to eat mushy peas or tomatoes that taste like plastic? ).

Thanks again for the tips!

Old 01-22-2012, 06:31 PM

574 posts, read 1,479,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclamb3 View Post
Since I'm a foodie, and most of my meals revolve around vegetables, having good quality veggies is important to me (who wants to eat mushy peas or tomatoes that taste like plastic? ).

Thanks again for the tips!
Another suggestion...when you get here you should visit Central Market. Central Market - Home They have very beautiful, in season produce.

A lot of people find it a bit pricey. I think coming from the northeast you may find the prices comparable to what you might pay in MD. The only thing I find very expensive there are the meats and seafood...you are paying for hormone-free, and often grass-fed, meats and lots of wild-caught fish. Produce pricing however is pretty comparable to what I used to pay at the supermarket in GA, for much better quality.

Best of luck with your move. Dallas is very friendly and welcoming!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:09 PM

18 posts, read 31,791 times
Tom Spicer:
Spiceman's FM 1410 - Gardener - Dallas, TX | Facebook

Urban Acres:
Urban Acres

Eden's Organic Farm:
http://www.safe-gardens.com/

Peaches from Parker County, just west of Dallas. Tomatoes. Onions. Black-eyed peas. Okra. Cantaloupe. Grapefruit. Yellow squash. Peppers. Watermelon. Sweet potatoes. Citrus from the valley. Lots of good stuff here! And, it's a great place to have a vegetable garden. We had a bumper crop of eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, onions, and green beans this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas