Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 01:49 PM

110 posts, read 689,340 times

Advertisements

I had tagged onto another post but realized I should have create a separate one.

Originally from California we're now in Florida but may be relocating to the Dallas area. How does the heat/humidity/insect population compare to Florida? I notice there doesn't seem to be screening like there is here - is it because it's not as bad?

Thanks,

R&K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2006, 03:26 AM

34 posts, read 157,374 times
I might be able to help you a bit richkat, depending on where in CA and FL you live(d). I am currently stuck in California (near San Jose) and have lived in Florida (panhandle) as well as North Dallas (we'll be returning there in a couple of months) so might be able to give you some insight.

According to statistics the relative humidity between Dallas and Miami are similar as are the relative humidities between Dallas and Pensacola. Of course, it rarely gets as hot in Miami as it does in Dallas and I found it was a "different heat". I know, overused term but I went from California to Dallas and did not feel overly uncomfortable when the temperatures crested 100 degrees. Yes, it was hot but not the kind of hot where your clothes are sopping wet and the air is so heavy you find it hard to breathe. At least it seemed that way to me.

As was mentioned by hl1967 on the other thread where you originally posted this inquiry, it does stay hot late into the evening.

As for the bugs,... nothing compared to the bugs I encountered when I lived in Florida... in volume, anyway. They were everywhere! I recall keeping cake mixes and any boxed food I purchased in the refrigerator to keep the bugs from finding it.
The bugs in Texas (at least where I lived in North Dallas) were few and far between. Nope, not many bugs there when I was there but the ones I did encounter had aircraft numbers painted on their sides. Biggest doggone bugs I ever saw were in Texas. Not much of an exaggeration either but, thank heavens, they were not all that numerous. I recall seeing a few (3 or 4) water bugs in my bath tub (scared the dickens out of me the first time I saw one) and a huge roach (2+ inches long) outside once. I'm sure it would also depend on the area you were in as well.

Hope this helps.

Lany

Last edited by lany; 02-06-2006 at 03:37 AM..

Old 02-12-2006, 08:09 AM

Thank you, Lany, for your reply. I just got back to this thread.

So, how would you compare the culture (attitude, friendliness, sense of community, etc) between San Jose, Dallas and Florida? I lived in the San Jose area for 20 years and we're in the Tampa area of Florida now. We really want to leave - the snowbirds are a pain when the weather is nice and when they leave, the summer's are a pain. We'd like to have more of a sense of community. It's so transient here. There looks like an opportunity to transfer to Dallas so we're checking it out.

Thanks,
Kathy

Old 02-14-2006, 03:38 AM

Hi Kathy,

If I were to rate the three locations on friendliness, the bay area would be dead last and then some. We got lucky where we are (condo complex) and neighbors actually speak to you but once you get out in the stores, forget it. There is very little friendliness left here and even less consideration.
I can't really give you much insight into the area I lived in Florida because it was military-saturated and they often tend to stick to their own, of which I was one. As for the Dallas area.. at least when I was there, polite, friendly, courteous, considerate, I'd have given them either an A or B, C and the very lowest. I was in an apartment complex while I lived there and that's about the last place you'd look for a sense of community. But, if my perception of the people I encountered in north Dallas were to be used as a guide, I'd say there's a pretty strong sense of community. I was down there for a year and a half on an assignment and have been trying to get back since I left. I consider it home,.. the area just left me with that kind of 'home' feeling.
Culture wise,.. of the three locations, there is no more diversity in culture than in the bay area but you probably already know that. It's not all about cowboy hats and boots in the Dallas area though. I think that would be more toward the Fort Worth side. Dallas struck me as a bit more modern than that.
Attitude: I'm sure the attitude has changed since I lived in the Dallas area (that was several years and almost a whole generation ago) but as one of my Texas friends told me when I was down there... being a Texan comes from the heart.

I never got the impression of it being transient in Dallas. Everyone seemed to be quite rooted in place and happy they were. Of course, I'm sure that's changed a bit since there seems to be quite a few people considering moving to the metroplex. (I wonder if they still call it the 'metromess'.)

I'm not sure what you mean by the summers being a pain in Tampa. I'd think they'd be quite lovely and relatively moderate in temperature with not much fluctuation. But then, I may be wrong.. I've never been that far down into Florida. If you aren't used to hot weather you may find them a pain in Dallas too. Multiple days of 100+ were common when I was down there. So were thunderstorms (which I rather look forward to... beats the boring weather around here.)

My best,

Lany

Old 02-15-2006, 02:33 PM

Thanks, Lany. You pretty much verified our experiences in all 3 places. Will be interesting to see where we end up.

- Kathy

Old 02-19-2006, 05:04 AM

Glad I could help, hon. I know how it is when you are starting to plan a move from point A to point B and have never been to B. It's difficult to gather specific information and there is just not enough people out there anymore who care to help or, even worse, answer your questions. The internet gives lots of info but there is always stuff lacking.

God speed on your move, whichever way it leads you.

Lany

Old 02-19-2006, 09:13 AM

Exactly. Or in our case, sometimes you've been to a place on vacation but find that living there is a different story and it's helpful if you can get some inside info on what it's like to live there ahead of time. This is a great site - especially since people who particpate here are also interested in relocating. Some people you talk to think you're crazy for even thinking about moving someplace new.

Thanks again.

-- K

Old 02-19-2006, 02:20 PM

6 posts, read 27,407 times
I was born and raised in California, Southern California. I was originally going to move to Jacksonville Florida, But I have fallen in love with the areas surrounding Fort Worth. I have been all over Florida, Texas and California and in my opinion Texas is better. The home prices are fantastic. The people are friendly, outgoing and laid back. And for someone who has lived the last 15 years where being white and born in the USA made you a minority it is nice to move to an area where the majority share the same ethnicity and culture. I know that is not politically correct but freedom of speech is supposed to be one of our rights.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:37 PM

Very interesting, gunslinger.

As a West Coaster feeling like a fish out of water on the East Coast (even if it is Florida), we've been considering Texas thinking it might give us some of that western (Tex/Mex) outdoor, laid-back feel without going all the way back West. With better job opportunities/home prices in Texas than here.

Sounds good. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by richkat; 02-21-2006 at 12:40 PM..

Old 02-22-2006, 04:29 AM

Default Call me crazy....

There's nothing crazy about moving Kat. If you are not happy where you are, then get to where you are,... happy.
I'm sure we've all heard the saying "Home is where the heart is". You just can't put your heart into a place you aren't happy with. Trust me, I've tried for 15 years which is about how long I've been away from Texas.

People move for as many reasons as there are people who move. I know that many are moving to Texas due to job relocation and are sort of being forced into it as compared to others who are going for the change in attitude or maybe latitude (cheers to Jimmy Buffett). I can't help but chuckle at what Gunslinger said... having lived in the San Francisco bay area for 20 years, I can relate.
I've been doing 'net research for almost 3 months now... trying to determine if Dallas is anything like it was when I was living there. I remember a great deal about the area; stores, places I used to frequent, roads, streets, etc. but I also know that so much will have changed. There is a lot I want to know but there's no way of finding out without making the trek and seeing for myself. Sooo, for now, I research and begin formulating my plans. D-Day is coming!

Lany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas