Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 AM

86 posts, read 402,071 times

Advertisements

Im looking for some information from "transplants" to the Dallas area over the
past few years. What are your feelings with the public schools in this area
compared to say the East, Midwest or West. Do you find the schools in TX to be easier, harder or about the same. I know district to district is different but just looking for your overall general opinion.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 12:33 PM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,878 times
As I just said on another post, as a former Dallasite, and a former teacher, who has now lived all over the U.S. and outside of it, the Dallas area does have really good schools. The last place we were in Texas was in West Plano which has many other Texas schools ranked above it but I would still consider it EXCELLENT. I continue to say that if my kids could receive EVEN HALF the education they could be getting in Plano, I would be thrilled. There are many good options for public education in the Dallas area so I think people there are quite fortunate.You will be surprised though that the competitiveness of the students, class rank, GPA, etc.is to get into state colleges and not Ivy-league schools.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:59 AM

63 posts, read 206,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeh View Post
You will be surprised though that the competitiveness of the students, class rank, GPA, etc.is to get into state colleges and not Ivy-league schools.
This is how I understand it also which I find bewildering.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:47 PM

13 posts, read 16,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settledindfw View Post
This is how I understand it also which I find bewildering.
State universities often have the most amazing funding for their research programs, especially in the sciences. This funding attracts top professors, some of whom were educated at Ivy League schools. I know someone who picked the University of North Carolina over Duke University (she was accepted to both programs) because UNC's undergraduate engineering program was, for her, far superior. She got an amazing job out of college because of her experience with research and her work reputation, not because of some Ivy League cachet bs. And it did not cost her parents anything near what they would have paid to send her to Duke.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:28 AM

13 posts, read 46,934 times
I moved from California to Texas in 1999 (I lived two years in Carrollton CFBISD and six years in Flower Mound LISD) and have recently relocated to Nashville so I have a couple of thoughts to share:

Compared to California where I grew up (Southern California, Wiseburn School District): my nephew came to live in Flower Mound half-way through first grade from Calif. and was already significantly behind. My nieces who are the same age as my girls (in San Bernardino) are significantly behind my girls (same ages) AND have not had any of the extracurricular in-school opportunities (music, art, drama, Spanish) that my girls had in Texas. My nieces in Laguna Niguel (younger than my girls) go to better schools academically, but still without the extracurriculars that are standard in Texas.

Compared to Tennessee: (Franklin, Williamson County School District), Academically comparable to our schools in Texas, but extracurriculars are not as strong and not provided as often (band and art are alternated, not concurrent).

For more information, check the Texas Education Agency's website but also talk to the principals. My daughters attended three different elementary schools in Flower Mound (all excellent) but the school with the highest scores is not always the place you want to be within the top range (which is exemplary in Texas) ... the top-scoring schools are more competitive TAKS testers, not necessarily the best schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas