Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:15 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saudi mother View Post
i tried to find someone to babysit my kids but i couldn't. Does anybody know how to find babysitter in Dallas.
This is something that CPS can help you with. Also, there are several programs in Dallas that you can avail yourself to that are specifically geared for your special needs children.

I don't see anything but good to come out of this for both your children and yourself. There are people here to help you in your situation, which obviously you've not heard much about living in the type vacuum you have since you've been here. There really is no reason for you and your husband to have to carry this burden of special needs care alone.

Here are some Down Syndrome organizations in the Dallas area that might assist you:

Down Syndrome Guild of Dallas (http://www.downsyndromedallas.org/helpful.shtml - broken link)

DallasChild - Down Syndrome: Living and Thriving

Children's Medical Center - Down Syndrome: Referral Directory

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-05-2012 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: repaired link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 02:24 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saudi mother View Post
Hello every body
I have a really big problem. I have been in Dallas for 6 months and today my special need kid left home we tried to search in the nieborhood and finally we found him with the police. they said we should've called them immediatly and because of that they have to report him as a neglected kid to the child protective service. they said that they will make a visit to invistigate the reasons . I'm really terrified and I can't think. I'm here as astudent for 4 years. is it possible that they can take him away.
please any one has an advice or has experienced something like that.i'll appreciate your help.
Firstly - the so called child protection people are more concerned about protecting their jobs than children - it's an industry - Just don't tell them that - or they will get aggressive - you have two choices when dealing with them...be sweet and patient...and agree with them - BUT if they attemnpt to take over your life through your child - YOU have to show them that you have teeth - They usually go after the weak and fearful - be brave - keep your dignity - and if they continue to harrass you in any manner - show those teeth - INSIST - that you will launch suit against them..THEY hate this - cos' it costs a lot of money to hire a defence....

If you are to sue - if it comes down to that - they will back off..because if they feel that it will cost them a lot of money - they worry about their jobs and having to let go social workers...as I mentioned their own jobs are more important than kids..

That is the tough approach - here is the reasonable one - Mention that it is a cultural thing - that YOU did not call police immediately because..you are having problems adjusting to western life where police are honest - that you fear the police....anyway - don't let them push you around or force you to take a COURSE - that employs more of these bureacrats...

Or lastly - be polite..bow and thank them...and they might just go away..but you will be put on a list....It's about social control through the things you love most (children) rather than the actual protection of them - stay calm.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:21 PM

50 posts, read 110,602 times
Thank you so much SouthernBelleInUtah. what is Keyed deadbolts and how can i get good keys that only my husband and I can open.
Thank you so much bstYet2Be for the websites. it's really helpful information.
Thank you so much oleg Bach. i really don't Know how can i control myself in this visit. I'm a cried person i don't know if you have this word or not. meaning, i cry for anything. To imagine that I'm crying while I read your replays. i don't know if this could cause me problem and they understand that I'm a weak person. I'm really a very strong person and my crying has nothing to do with that. Raising two kids with down syndrome requires avery strong hearted person.
Thank you for you all I'm really happy that i wrote my problem here to discover that there are really supportive members here.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 PM

509 posts, read 1,262,465 times
I'll tell you of an experience I had with a child who was lost. I was outside on my front yard and saw a lady who was carrying a 1 year old ( I think she was one) and she was looking where this child came from. It was obvious that the child was lost. I started to help her and finally found someone who knew her here in our neighborhood. Then, about 5 weeks or so later, the same little girl was running down the street in front of my house and I ran to pick her up. This time I called the police. I told the police this was the second time this little girl was outside on the street by herself. I think he mentioned that CPS would be called. This family is from Africa somewhere (just have to throw that in since we are talking about differences in culture). Anyway, I don't know what happened afterwards but I can tell you that the little girl plus her brothers are still there in their home. I just saw them all the other day.
So try not to stress too much about this. CPS will take everything into account. In my experience, they don't take children from their homes right away. They have to be sure and go through extensive investigation. The system is too full (unfortunately) so they must be extremely sure that the best thing for the child (sometimes children) is to remove them from their home. I can't stress enough how the cultural differences will play a big role in the investigation. But again, also your honesty and being open will be just as important. Let us know what happens once they visit you.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 PM

Thank you so much Moorhen3. It's good to know about other experiences. Sure I will tell you when all this is over.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Saudi mother, are you renting? If so, you need to get the landlord's permission to add deadbolts. Any hardware store, Home Depot or Lowe's will have them. Just ask for a deadbolt that needs a key to unlock it. Any person with a drill and modest skills can install them. Your landlord might be willing to do it himself so he knows it was done correctly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:18 PM

SouthernBelleInUtah. I'm renting a house. thank you for this information i didn't know that.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:23 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Also, if they begin working w/ you, ask for programs like Respite Care....which is a volunteer, free service to allow you and your other child to leave your special needs child w/ a trained caregiver. This is a service available in my state, North Dakota, and may be available in yours also.
And, if you have a representative on campus, someone that works w/ you regarding cultural needs, and helping you in the community, call and speak to them, maybe ask them to come over when the CPS people are there, so you feel more comfortable. Or, perhaps you have attorney's on campus.

Having a different culture it may be confusing for you to deal w/ U.S. services like cps. I hope everything is fine, and it should be, make sure your house is spotless, clothes clean, hung up, frig has food, kids have homework help. CPS is scarey even if you are from the U.S. originally. Many people have given good advice on here. Stay calm, but ask CPS for an interpreter right away, if you need one, I would. Glad your little boy is home safe.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:21 PM

Thank you so much JanND. Are they gonna call before coming so I can have someone to be with me and is that allowed?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 PM

I just saw a horrible youtubes about CPS in Texas. one of them said "Don't sign any papers" what if they asked for that? Do i have the right to refuse signing papers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas