Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:03 PM

8 posts, read 24,780 times

Advertisements

Hi:

I am planning to furnish my house with new living room set for family and game room, bedroom sets (one king set and 2 queen sets), lots of paintings, wall decor, storage bench for entryway, patio set and rugs for 4 bathrooms, family and dining.

I like traditional furniture and don't want to spend too much. Just to give an idea of what I would like to spend: bedroom sets for $1000 for King, $1500 for couch set.

Please advice where I can buy these in that price range.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,142,751 times
Well... Those prices are going to limit the quality of the sets you can purchase. I would look on Craigslist if I were you, I've seen a lot of ads for what you are looking for in that price range on there. I'm talking new, not used, from smaller independent furniture dealers. The quality however, doesn't compare to what you can buy at a legitimate furniture store.

The only big box stores I can name that may have what you are looking for at that price would be Rooms 2 Go, or Ashley Furniture. Buyer beware though, you get what you pay for. A couch set for $1500 is doable, but it probably won't last long, most sets like that are made in China out of cheap materials.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 PM

8 posts, read 24,780 times
Default I might be able to spend little bit more in that case.

Thanks for the quick reply.

How much would I have to spend on the bedroom sets and living room sets to get some quality furniture and where can I buy those?

I got those ball park from looking at websites. The thing is I am not even sure how much to spend on each furniture to get some nice quality. Haven't visited any stores yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:03 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,496,865 times
Try the Weir's Clearance Center off Buena Vista and Armstrong - behind Cafe Madrid, Katana and Sur la Table (which are on Travis just south of Knox).

Old 01-27-2012, 05:08 AM

574 posts, read 1,481,156 times
In the past we have had success shopping for furniture online. We visit a few local stores, find what we like, then search on google for the manufacturer/model number. Usually you can find the same thing cheaper, including shipping.

Just to give you an example...several years ago we found our dream dining room set at Haverty's. They had it listed just under $7k. My husband scoured the internet and found stores in LA and NC that had the set. We paid $2.9k including shipping and installation. Since then we always check online before buying if we think something is overpriced (which in my husband's opinion everything is overpriced!)

Currently we are waiting for an executive desk for our study from Mazel Tov Discount Furniture: Coaster Furniture and More Name Brands. This is our first purchase bypassing the looking in stores part.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:23 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,142,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate View Post
Thanks for the quick reply.

How much would I have to spend on the bedroom sets and living room sets to get some quality furniture and where can I buy those?

I got those ball park from looking at websites. The thing is I am not even sure how much to spend on each furniture to get some nice quality. Haven't visited any stores yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks again.
You're welcome. To put it in perspective, my wife (then girlfriend) went to Ashley Furniture to buy a couch and loveseat for her condo a few years ago. Spent about $1100 as I recall. The couch, after just 3-4 months, sagged when you sat on it. I've got a bad back that acts up from time to time, I couldn't stand sitting on her couch for more than 30 min at a time, it was that bad. The cushions were crap, the frame was cheap, flimsy wood, etc. When we moved we got rid of it.

We ended up getting most of our stuff for our new house at Bassett furniture, with some stuff from Ethan Allen, and Wisteria.

If you want quality though, you'll have to pay for it. I'd say you can get a good sofa for about $2k. For comparison, we paid $4k for our leather "L" shaped couch with recliners from Bassett, it was on sale from the regular price of $6k. Was way more than I wanted to spend, but it's been a year and a half and it's held up perfectly, and it's a very big sofa.

Hope this helps, don't mean to scare you away from sticking with your budget, but in my experience, the furniture you can purchase at those prices just doesn't hold up.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:48 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,496,865 times
There is also a Wisteria outlet near Love Field: Wisteria Outlet | Home Decor, Furniture & Accessories | Dallas, Texas

Old 01-27-2012, 10:51 AM

695 posts, read 1,449,997 times
We bought furniture at Anderson's, The Dump, antique stores and Craigs List.

By far our best buys have been from antique stores, followed by CL, with Anderson's and The Dump tied. Anderson's and The Dump are very hit or miss and you have to really look at how the stuff is put together. CL is the same, but if you know how to look for good furniture and are willing to be patient, you can score some good deals. Antiques are also hit or miss, because you can't just go into an antique store and find exactly what you want, and some things can't be found there. For example, it's not possible to find a nice sectional at an antique store.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:58 AM

175 posts, read 483,811 times
I would recommend shopping at some Estate Sales. Also one of the nicest (IMHO) consignment shops in Dallas is called Consignment Heaven. They more often than not get very nice pieces for consignment. They are on Henderson Street off of Central Expressway (I75). Their prices are very reasonable for what you get.
HTH

Old 01-27-2012, 11:21 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,249,960 times
it's worth the money to spend extra on furniture unless you plan to redecorate a lot. I have a bedroom set, plus a couch and chair from Bassett. The Bedroom set is in great shape after 12 years, nice solid wood, no particle board. Had the couch and chair about 8-9 years and the only issue I have is the throw pillows for the couch have lost their shape. otherwise, no sagging or wear on it. I had a friend who bought some really cheap furniture was Wards when they were around. after a year or two the cough looked like crap, and many of the button that held the upholstery on the back had popped off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas