Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 AM

205 posts, read 481,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
ELPO (East Lake Pet Orphanage) has Golden Retrievers from time to time ready for adoption. Maybe you can give them a call? More adoptable pets from East Lake Pet Orphanage

There is also the Dallas Fort Worth Golden Retriever rescue. You may have more luck here. Rescue Goldens

Oh I just read this. I didn't know.

Well, are they that severe regarding their policy? My 2 Goldens grew up surrounded by children before we moved and the doggies just loved it. They still love being hugged by kids.

On their website it says its their policy that they do not generally adopt to families with children under 5. That was through Golden retriever resuce of north dallas.

Several years ago when we just had 1 child who was 2 we tried to adopt a golden from a resuce place in South Florida and they said they could not do it because we had a young child. Its not uncommon for rescue places not to adopt to families with young children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:10 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StEt0417 View Post
No thanks, we have been down that road several times. We adopted a lab mix from the shelter last year and had to turn him back in because he was extremely aggressive. They told us a different story at the humane society. He would run after people barking and trying to bite them. We have 3 kids and he tried snapping at one of them, always growled if you took his food away, and when people would come over he would starting chasing them in the house barking and growling at them.
Although it may work for some people adopting dogs that they know no history about it did not work for us, with young kids and after doing a lot of researching and talking to people who own goldens we feel a golden would be the best bet for our family
Exactly..It's not always as easy as shelters and people themselves want to make it seem. And the person who placed that dog with you with a family of three kids should be questioned.

Thing with adopting, is alot of people just want to feel like they're helping what is an unfortunate situation. Noble I guess..Although I could make the argument that alot of people just want to feel good about themselves, not truly knowing or caring what it takes to rehab or even care for a dog properly. But how does it help the dog when the average family typically doesn't have the knowledge base and experience to handle a dog that needs usually needs a little extra-it's NOT for the faint of heart. Or those with kids! Most breeders who breed the dog I own (Cairn) won't send a dog home with kids under 5 o 6. THATS responsible breeding.

I think the shelter thing is overrated and people who take the dogs should be vetted a little better. And anyone who TRULY wants to help the situation will support a local breeder who places dogs carefully and not a backyard idiot. Someone who has been breeding for decades, and quite honestly ( although I have a disdain for them) peope that show the breed. Either that, or fight to support better legislation on the matter.

Shelters are only a bandaid to the problem. Good breeders are the solution.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:38 AM

350 posts, read 867,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Shelters are only a bandaid to the problem. Good breeders are the solution.
Dog breeding is one of the most hateful and ignorant things a person can do. When there is a CHRONIC oversupply of dogs, with thousands upon thousands being killed on a regular basis, I really don't see how someone who purposefully aggravates that situation can sleep at night. I know to breed you must have to have to look at them like livestock (a commodity), but it still makes me sick.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:45 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT3x View Post
Dog breeding is one of the most hateful and ignorant things a person can do. When there is a CHRONIC oversupply of dogs, with thousands upon thousands being killed on a regular basis, I really don't see how someone who purposefully aggravates that situation can sleep at night. I know to breed you must have to have to look at them like livestock (a commodity), but it still makes me sick.
What you just described is not only stupid, but a perfect characterization of a backyard breeder.

Breeding mans best friend is wonderful thing to do when done responsibly and correctly.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:43 AM

931 posts, read 2,135,300 times
I have four goldens. All of them bark when someone comes to house and they will go to door and greet but they do not jump and after they see the people they go back to someplace and watch the visitor.

I have had goldens for 36 combined years and never had an incident where they bit someone. They are also patient with kids in fact one would stay with grand daughter whenever she visited. Called her a nanny dog.

One of my goldens is a rescue and was abused for over a year, It took another year before she felt safe. She is a wonderful and sweet dog and will bring a remote or telephone she finds out of place. We had a golden that we could open front door in morning and she would fetch the paper come rain of shine.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:38 AM

812 posts, read 2,184,401 times
My wife watches Animal Planet or some such channel. They have shows where they highlight dog rescues from the most horrible conditions. The dogs wind up getting healed and adopted to new families. She says "it's amazing how dogs forgive humans".

I think some of Micheal Vick's Pit Bulls wound up being adopted and they are the sweetest dogs ever.

Not sure who said it but it's a great saying...."the more humans I meet the more I like dogs".

Old 03-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Mvc

175 posts, read 183,652 times
Yes if anyone is familiar with local DJ Big Dick Hunter he adopted one of Michael Vick's dogs.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:29 PM

931 posts, read 2,135,300 times
In an earlier post I said I have four goldens. Actually two are alive and two have passed. Because dogs are social I try to have two dogs instead of one.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 PM

429 posts, read 954,421 times
I have two Goldens now. One is your typical happy-go- lucky Golden who will carry 3 tennis balls in his mouth at once and always has a smile on his face. Kids can climb all over him. He adores chasing cats but would never hurt one. The other golden, while as sweet as can be with people, doesn't fetch, doesn't like to carry anything in his mouth, and once got into a nest of baby rabbits and the end result was tragic. I thought all Goldens were similarly wired, but according to my vet, some Goldens have the highest prey drive of any breed. I have known many people who assumed all Goldens were great with kids. They aren't. If a child runs, a Golden will chase after them and if you don't train them right, will knock a child down and run right over them. They are big, they are silly, and my old boys, now 13 and 15, will act like puppies until the day they die of old age. Goldens never really grow up. They often have very expensive skin allergies, thyroid issues, and hip problems. They need regular brushing and grooming. Be prepared to have a puppy forever, even when they're 100 pounds of hairy slobbering mess. There is nothing I hate more than seeing someone give up a Golden because they thought they had to have one and then they were expensive to keep or acted like a Golden. Having said all that, I think they're worth every bit of it!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:07 PM

812 posts, read 2,184,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
What you just described is not only stupid, but a perfect characterization of a backyard breeder.

Breeding mans best friend is wonderful thing to do when done responsibly and correctly.
Skids, can you help everyone by telling us how to figure out a responsible and correct breeder? What do you look for? What questions do you ask? Are there web sites that can help? I mean, are breeders on Angie's List or something?

Not being a smart ash or nothing but when someone says "done responsibly and correctly", how are us mere mortals supposed to know how to find them?

I think if you've had good experience you may be able to help the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas