Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 06:53 PM

103 posts, read 270,308 times

Advertisements

I searched for a while and tried to get some knowledge.

Looks like there are more than 700 tornadoes each year in big D. But 1 of 50 are big ones >EF4. That means there are at least 14 very big Tornadoes in Dallas area?

Is that true? What's your real experiences?

Mod Note: See Correction posted in #9:
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't read carefully on the links I searched. just clarify:
"Most likely about 700 tornado affect tornado alley each year."

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 04-18-2012 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: Mod Note to correct alarming stat posted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 07:40 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeric View Post

Looks like there are more than 700 tornadoes each year in big D. But 1 of 50 are big ones >EF4. That means there are at least 14 very big Tornadoes in Dallas area?

What's the source for your stats?

Since records have been kept from 1952 to 2011, there have been a total of 86 tornadoes officially reported in Dallas County.

Tornado History Project: Maps and Statistics

Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM

11,857 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
What's the source for your stats?

Since records have been kept from 1952 to 2011, there have been a total of 86 tornadoes officially reported in Dallas County.

Tornado History Project: Maps and Statistics
We really only get tornadoes very rarely, and the big ones are SO rare! Central Texas (such as Bell County) sees a lot more big tornadoes than DFW area.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:05 PM

343 posts, read 805,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
We really only get tornadoes very rarely, and the big ones are SO rare! Central Texas (such as Bell County) sees a lot more big tornadoes than DFW area.
Every year there will be storms that produce tornado warnings. It is not uncommon to get wind, rain, and hail in thunderstorms here. A couple times a year the tornado sirens go off because there is a potential for tornado development but they are RARE. Although there is at least 1 or 2 in most DFW counties each year, they are usually WEAK and hit very localized spots. The chances you will come face to face with a tornado in your lifetime are still exponentially slim.

Hail and damaging winds are a whole different story, however.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,042 times
Quote:
I'm surprised there have been only 14 tornado related deaths in Dallas County since 1952. 10 of those occurred in the outbreak of 1957. Only 4 deaths from 1957-2012.

Considering DFW is located within the southern boundary of Tornado Alley, Dallas County has been relatively fortunate.

Let's hope we can remain out of harm's way.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 PM

686 posts, read 2,437,084 times
Quote:

700 tornadoes a year?! Where are you getting that information??? The average for the whole state is only 155.

Tornado Climatology

Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,164 times
Quote:

700 Tornadoes in Dallas??? Not likely. That is probably the yearly average for the entire U.S. In the two years I have lived here, the event last Tuesday was the first instance of any Tornadoes in DFW area (unless there are a few that I don't know about).

In 2011, all of those horrible outbreaks missed us well to the east in the Deep South and to the north in Oklahoma and MO. There were a few supercell storms near Terrell, Corsicana, Hillsboro and Canton, but the touchdowns were brief with very little damage.

I have heard from many locals here that tornadoes just don't occur that often and based on what I have seen so far, I' am inclined to believe them.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:30 PM

770 posts, read 1,798,164 times
Quote:
The only big Tornado in Bell County or in Central Texas that I know of is the monster one that hit Jarell, and one that hit the suburb of Cedar Park near Austin. I do know that Central and South Texas have a much lesser chance of seeing a tornado than Dallas does.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Sorry, I didn't read carefully on the links I searched. just clarify:
"Most likely about 700 tornado affect tornado alley each year."

Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterymachinebl View Post
700 tornadoes a year?! Where are you getting that information??? The average for the whole state is only 155.

Tornado Climatology
Thanks. That link is helpful.

But then how many big Tornadoes every year in Big D?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas