Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 03:56 PM

173 posts, read 402,151 times

Advertisements

The area that is going to be developed over by the spillway, can only be done this once. Everyone is happy about it, but is a bit worrisome thinking of how they might design the area. Is there going to be major congestion (on top of what already happens) around the 3 corners, therefore blocking and delaying residents from entering their streets/homes? Something really cool and amazing could be done here if they do it properly. Are they going to do something ill-fitting and not aesthetically pleasing? So here is my wishlist:

1. Please keep it to the tone of the area. This area is scenic and does not need strip malls and crummy chains. maybe a "Lake Village" walkable type of thing like the West Village, but keep the aesthetics in tune with the lake, outdoorsy. Do I need to mention walkable again, no strip malls.

2. Please keep it "Green". This area is more casual and "Green" with lots of organic restaurants, stores, the natural market, Green Stop, etc. Don't ruin the natural vibe.

3. Make everything completely walkable and bike friendly with places to park bicycles, etc. Remember this is a big walking/cyclist outdoor activity area. Have hiking/biking trail entrances.

4. Please do outdoor cafes and restaurants, coffee shops, and seating with scenic views of the lake. Keep it eclectic and pretty, not overdone.

5. If you must do some parking lots, hide them from visibility so that you don't have to look at lots while outdoors, it will ruin the vibe.

6. Please don't turn the large YMCA and nightclub buildings into mega-store chains like in strip malls or Plano. PLEASE PLEASE make it wore walkable like a village type of thing.

7. Please keep the area PEACEFUL and serene, not congested, not stripmally, not like the suburbs.

8. If the area is turned stripmally and not the way it could be, I will not shop or dine there, ever.

9. Also please buy and redesign the Lakeland/Ferguson intersection. This is another great area for potential.

If it is done right, people will love it. BUT PLEASE DON'T RUIN OUR BEAUTIFUL AREA.

That is all for now from me.

Any other wants and needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 AM

931 posts, read 2,135,300 times
I have lived next to Lincoln Properties Apartments since they were built next to Old Town. I was pleasantly surprised that they kept the properties up and rented on high end. My fear was they would let the property go and it would get seedy.

They have been good neighbors

Old 04-30-2012, 10:34 AM

Thi sis going to be a high end retail area, not apartments. I just hope that local input is valued because this could make or break the area, improve it or alter it into something else forever.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:28 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I just hope they will take some cues from the local architecture (Tudor, Spanish Eclectic, Art Deco, Craftsman) - there are several ways they could go with that - possibly they could combine some to make it appear that it grew organically rather than so 'planned'. Yes of course it should be tied into the "lake" of Lakewood theme - also the history of the area - one of the first Pig Stands, Doug's-Drive-Inn, Bob White's BBQ etc... please don't plop down something from Plano!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM

350 posts, read 867,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I just hope they will take some cues from the local architecture (Tudor, Spanish Eclectic, Art Deco, Craftsman) - there are several ways they could go with that - possibly they could combine some to make it appear that it grew organically rather than so 'planned'. Yes of course it should be tied into the "lake" of Lakewood theme - also the history of the area - one of the first Pig Stands, Doug's-Drive-Inn, Bob White's BBQ etc... please don't plop down something from Plano!
I'm a fan of The Goat's 1950's concrete bunker motif, myself.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM

743 posts, read 1,321,044 times
I thought part of the development was going to be mixed use. No?

Also, I don't think you're going to get any lake views, that would need to be on the other side of the Santa Fe Trail.

My wish is that they put in actual streets and grid the place, ideally along the same lines as existing streets like Tucker. Sadly, I'm quite sure it will be a faux-urban experience like Firewheel. Pretty buildings in a parking lot.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:32 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
You might get a lake view if they go a little higher on the south side of Gaston...

I would hate a plop-down "lifestyle center" that woud be put anywhere... I have heard a couple of the higher-ups planning this actually live in Lakewood so we can hope...

Old 05-02-2012, 01:35 PM

20 posts, read 61,478 times
I'm hoping for Eatzi's or sometihng like it!

Old 05-05-2012, 12:52 PM

I am thinking I like that idea of having many little streets with a natural lake modern woodsy look with ultimate walkability.

I wonder how they will re-do and fit that strip mall monstrosity with the Subway in it.

If this area is beautiful and natural with pedestrian and cycling ease, I bet the shops and restaurants will be a big money maker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: