Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:22 PM

176 posts, read 541,705 times

Advertisements

Looking around Lakewood area and not finding much in my price range and I have started seeing some nice properties at Casa Linda. What areas on the east side of White Rock Lake are similar to Lakewood/Hollywood Heights/Junius Heights? What areas on that side of the lake should I look into/avoid?
Schools, trees, quiet, independent stores?
Please help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:46 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Look at the area around Hexter Elementary. We found some interesting places there before we settled on Junius Heights. The elementary school is great, the secondary schools not so much.
Little forest hills is a nice artsy area, but the schools aren't great there, or rather I should say weren't last time we looked.

If you are willing to do a little work on the property there are some in your price range here in Junius Heights, but most aren't online, you kind of have to drive around and find them.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:59 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewmn View Post
Looking around Lakewood area and not finding much in my price range and I have started seeing some nice properties at Casa Linda. What areas on the east side of White Rock Lake are similar to Lakewood/Hollywood Heights/Junius Heights? What areas on that side of the lake should I look into/avoid?
Schools, trees, quiet, independent stores?
Please help! Thanks!
What's your price range? What size house you want? Other priorities?

Old 07-08-2008, 10:01 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
School wise...Hexter is great, Sanger is okay and Reinhardt is ehh.

Are you here driving around? Or just looking on-line?...I forget.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 PM

I am looking online- won't be in Dallas until the 10th.
I am looking to rent a 2br house/duplex (800-1000) with a small yard- I have a cat and dog. Can't find a thing in Junius Heights or Hollywood Heights online and Lakewood is a bit pricey.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:11 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Part of the problem is that many properties for lease that aren't part of a complex, simply have a sign in the front yard. That's where you are going to find your bargains.

Have you tried looking through the classifieds on dallasobserver.com?
Dallas Classifieds - Dallas Observer

Old 07-08-2008, 10:59 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,433,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewmn View Post
I am looking online- won't be in Dallas until the 10th.
I am looking to rent a 2br house/duplex (800-1000) with a small yard- I have a cat and dog. Can't find a thing in Junius Heights or Hollywood Heights online and Lakewood is a bit pricey.
Frankly you won't find anything online. In those neighborhoods rental properties are usually let simply by putting a sign in the yard.

When my wife and I were driving through we found a large number of places. We didn't care about a yard, and were looking to spend a bit less, so we ended up in a quadplex for $750 a month 2 bedroom. If you drive Junius Heights I am sure you will find something that fits your needs.
It is full of 2-3 bedroom properties, many of which have a small yard. My landlord recently leased a 3 bed small home for $950, I'm sure there are others. In fact if you like I'll drive about a bit tomorrow and see for you.
My wife and I have a five year old and this is such a great place to be with kids.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:55 PM

Wow Macbeth thank you so much for the offer if you notice anything driving around the neighborhood. I only have a couple of days to get something lined up (will be out the 10th-13th) so we will have a place when we move out on the 26th. I have been searching all over on line and am only finding apartments. I was getting very very nervous. I am glad to hear that we can expect to find some places just by driving around. My son is 4, and I really think that will be the area for us.
I took Pepper's advice and looked at the Observer. Lakewooder had suggested tha to me as well. That did turn up a few Lakewood leads- not quite what I was looking for yet, but it was reassuring to find some type of online source for the time being.
Thanks for your help!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:06 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
DH and I used to live in Little Forest Hills (1996-2001) and we LEFT. Both of our cars were broken into in front of the house, and we got sick of hearing gunshots at night. I hope the crime has gotten better since then. We loved the neighborhood's appearance, and being able to walk to everything at Casa Linda. (We lived right behind the old movie theatre.)

Bryan Adams High School is AWFUL. It was not really good when my Dad went there in the 1960s, either. The problem is that it also feeds kids from the Casa View area, which has gotten ROUGH as the little frame homes there have aged and become more low-income housing. You'll need to move before your kids get into HS to avoid it!!

Old 07-09-2008, 09:19 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
While I am no fan of BA (high school rivalries run deep!) I believe there is a new principal trying to turn things around and now the school is much smaller and easier to handle (they are dropping to 4-A, so we -Woodrow - will play them again this fall). Also Little Forest Hills has really jumped in home prices in the last 6-7 years. I'm not sure but I think most of it may be zoned to Sanger Elementary, which will be rated exemplary this fall: Dallas ISD expects better state rankings for schools | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/053008dnmetdisdratings.2fbd34a.html - broken link)

More on LFH: http://www.bigindallas.com/web/direc...t-page-of-dmn/

http://subdivided.net/blog/2007/03/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/therefore/115463763/ (broken link)

http://backtalkeastdallas.typepad.co...-forest-1.html

I wouldn't doubt that someday (Big) Forest Hills may be returned to our secondary district, but it's hard to count on that. There are many nice areas on that side, such as Peninsula, Casa Linda Estates, the homes off Dorrington south of Ferguson, etc..

I also think you can find something on our side of the lake -- Stonewall Jackson, Lakewood, Lipscomb and Robert E. Lee elementary zones would be best - you did try craigslist, right? Also check out http://www.campagnarealtors.com/

Last edited by Lakewooder; 07-09-2008 at 09:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: