Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2012, 09:54 PM

547 posts, read 939,504 times

Advertisements

Yesterday morning my running group and I were running for a weekly half marathon training and we came across what looked like a coyote. We were past the spillway on the trail and Winstead street was somewhere to the left of us while the lake was to the right of us heading towards the bridge by Mockingbird (still miles away from).

It was about 6:40 in the morning and it was still dark. The area where we were running had a lot of trees and as we were approaching our 4th mile, we notice an animal that came right next to us and proceeded to sniff a few of the runners in the group. A few members of the group had lights and pointed them at the animal. The animal didn't look like a dog, but of a coyote. That's what we thought and kept on running (the animal stopped following after a minute or so), and we told runners going the opposite direction of us to watch out for coyotes. We weren't in any danger either.

Once we got backed and proceeded to stretch, another runner nearby said they also saw a coyote in the same area. So what my group probably was a coyote.

My question is after all this rambling is, are coyotes around White Rock Lake this tame around people? Does anyone know if coyotes around the lake have become used to people that they'll actually come up to them?

I didn't even know coyotes were around the lake until yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 10:40 PM

686 posts, read 2,436,634 times
Yes, there are several coyotes around the lake. I've never seen them come up to people though. When I am out walking my dogs in the evenings they usually stay 30 feet or so away along the side of the road just looking at us. Sometimes they will follow us but do keep their distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryhoyarbie View Post
Yesterday morning my running group and I were running for a weekly half marathon training and we came across what looked like a coyote. We were past the spillway on the trail and Winstead street was somewhere to the left of us while the lake was to the right of us heading towards the bridge by Mockingbird (still miles away from).

It was about 6:40 in the morning and it was still dark. The area where we were running had a lot of trees and as we were approaching our 4th mile, we notice an animal that came right next to us and proceeded to sniff a few of the runners in the group. A few members of the group had lights and pointed them at the animal. The animal didn't look like a dog, but of a coyote. That's what we thought and kept on running (the animal stopped following after a minute or so), and we told runners going the opposite direction of us to watch out for coyotes. We weren't in any danger either.

Once we got backed and proceeded to stretch, another runner nearby said they also saw a coyote in the same area. So what my group probably was a coyote.

My question is after all this rambling is, are coyotes around White Rock Lake this tame around people? Does anyone know if coyotes around the lake have become used to people that they'll actually come up to them?

I didn't even know coyotes were around the lake until yesterday.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:01 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,247 times
We've already discussed this if you want to search the thread. Yes, these are coyotes. DH and I saw one last evening while walking the dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas