Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:31 PM

36 posts, read 89,668 times

Advertisements

I am interested in some bullet point information regarding the living situation and economy in Dallas. I fit the following description
1. Recent college grad in business looking for career opportunities
2. Young adult looking for an urban and city life style.
3. Mexican American
4. Have very liberal idelogies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:42 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellwello View Post
I am interested in some bullet point information regarding the living situation and economy in Dallas. I fit the following description
3. Mexican American
Way too vague to be of any help to you.

Point 1-> "Business" is pretty generic. Start sending resumes and networking with companies of interest. Job market is pretty good here for college grads but depends on your experience, connections, skills set, etc.

Point 2 -> Uptown Dallas and surrounding in-town neighborhoods are great for urban young professionals provided you can afford it (figure $1,000+ /mo for small one bedroom, more for prime locations in Uptown) and it's not too far a commute from your job (ie, downtown FW is a 1 hour drive so might not be a good options if the job is there).

Point 3 & 4 -> um, ok?? You won't be alone on either point.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:53 PM

19,782 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellwello View Post
3. Mexican American
Hi Dellwello,
1. Dallas has a great business climate.
2. Check - we have all that.
3. I'll skip this one.
4. As you are very liberal feel free to give away all of your discretionary income to the poor or others.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 AM

44 posts, read 73,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Hi Dellwello,
4. As you are very liberal feel free to give away all of your discretionary income to the poor or others.
HA!

Please keep your liberal ideologies in California if you decide to move here...

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-07-2012 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: consecutive posts by same OP merged

Old 05-07-2012, 11:20 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centercab View Post
Please keep your liberal ideologies in California if you decide to move here...
I didnt. I still have the same beliefs and I love living here. Im not changing either.

OP, this is a highly diverse area. Being Liberal or Mexican is not going to be an issue here.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:45 PM

219 posts, read 608,879 times
The thread is already dangerously close to being derailed... OP, I think Austin might be a slightly better bet. It's more geared to young people as yourself but the business climate is still strong.

But, as good as Texas is (and horrendous as California is), the job market for college grads is still very bad universally, so you have to think about what you're going to do if you don't get a job for 3, 6, or even 12 months or more. Moving entails a lot of costs, even if you do it yourself, plus you have to think about how you're going to pay rent, utilities, gas, etc. for the time during which you are unemployed. If you have family or friends that you can stay with for that long here in Dallas, then do it.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:20 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
Dellwello, you don't have to go to Austin - check out East Dallas or North Oak Cliff - and along with Uptown, Oak Lawn.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:27 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Dellwello, you don't have to go to Austin - check out East Dallas or North Oak Cliff - and along with Uptown, Oak Lawn.
I would throw Uptown out of that list. I find it white bread and right wing. Knox-Henderson would be an excellent suggestion along with the other three you mention.

Old 05-07-2012, 01:40 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I would throw Uptown out of that list. I find it white bread and right wing. Knox-Henderson would be an excellent suggestion along with the other three you mention.
White bread? Maybe. Right wing? I rarely see/hear political discussions of any stripe among the denizens of Uptown. Considering the drunken state of so many of the residents on late weekend nights and the quality of much of the food along McKinney Ave., it's more like buffalo wing than anything.

As for the OP, where in central California are you coming from? Do you mean central California coast (San Luis Obispo) or the San Joaquin Valley (Bakersfield, Fresno, etc.)? If you're coming from the former, then Dallas might seem more conservative overall. If you're coming from the latter, not so much. Though if you're coming from the latter, you're used to the heat (but there's no Tule fog here!)

In any case, you'll be fine. There are plenty of liberals around. I'd worry more about getting a job lined up than the political leanings of the guy standing next to you in line at Chipotle.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:42 PM

350 posts, read 867,729 times
Congrats everyone, he's scared off. Thank you. Moderator cut: see comment Every Texan City-data demographic came out for this thread.

OP, Dallas County is blue. You'll find much political agreement anywhere in the Dallas city limits. The jobless rate for young college grads is extremely low. And, obviously, you'll be fine as a Mexican person. We're actually much more chill about that than Cali people.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-07-2012 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: Personal attacks are not permitted per ToS. We may attack ideas but we do not attack the speaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas