Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:32 AM

17 posts, read 55,224 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Dallas from the mid-West region. We'd like to move in July at the earliest. We have two young children, a newborn and a 2 year old, and 2 large dogs. Here's what we're looking for:

-Within 35 minute drive to downtown Dallas (where we will both be working)
-At least .5 acre
-Good schools
-$200-250k price range

Any suggestions for areas to consider? We have been looking at Forney, Murphy/Wylie, and Rockwall. Someone also suggested Midlothian but that seems a bit far.

Also, I know this board does not permit realtor recommendations, but if anyone has some I would love to get that through a PM! We do not know anyone in these areas who can make suggestions.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 11:14 AM

173 posts, read 402,237 times
None of the towns you are looking at are within 30 minutes of Dallas. I would say try to stay no more than 10-15 miles from your work. That much distance could give you a 30 min to hour commmute. Murphy, Wylie? Those are not even in the Metro area. I lived 7 miles from downtown and either way I cut it, I needed 25-30 minutes unless there was traffic jam (which are frequent), then up to an hour.

A lot of people are in East Dallas to Lake Highlands who work downtown. Schools are good and you are not stuck in the burbs with a 1.5 hour commute. You will be able to find something in your budget, nothing too large or brand new, but something nice, maybe a bit older ranch style home for about 250. If quality of life, more time is important, dont' even consider small towns quite a way from the city. If you want a larger home for a better proce and dont' mind massive commutes, you can go further out.

Or you could just rent first since your kids are not in school, then get to knowthe areas and decide on a purchase.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:26 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,895,583 times
The problem with your wish list is the .5 acre lot. In your price range, it will mean a long commute. Listen to the previous poster who says to be within 10-15 miles from work to keep the commute within 35 minutes. Unfortunately, that will most likely mean giving up the large lot.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM

219 posts, read 609,131 times
A lot of people here are overly pessimistic regarding commute times but Christie is right in that a half acre lot at less than $250K is going to be a bit hard to find within 30 minutes of downtown. I would say a non-zero lot line home is a more reasonable expectation. I'd think Sunnyvale or Richardson might best suit your needs, but do not buy until you've had a chance to explore the area, talk to a realtor, and figure out which areas you actually do like. Many people on this forum plug Lakewood/Lake Highlands to virtually everyone who asks about relocation, but our recommendations (including mine) are nothing compared to actually seeing an area for yourself. Once you've seen what you like, your requirements might change quite a bit!!

Old 04-30-2012, 12:40 PM

Thank you for the feedback! We are making a trip down to Dallas in May, so hopefully that will help us decide what best suits our needs. We have very large dogs and currently have a large lot, as well as a 45 minute commute for my husband right now. So a longer drive is nothing new for us. We haven't checked out Lakewood or Lake Highlands but will definitely take a look. Thanks again.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:59 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,751,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHuffenHausen View Post
None of the towns you are looking at are within 30 minutes of Dallas. I would say try to stay no more than 10-15 miles from your work. That much distance could give you a 30 min to hour commmute. Murphy, Wylie? Those are not even in the Metro area. I lived 7 miles from downtown and either way I cut it, I needed 25-30 minutes unless there was traffic jam (which are frequent), then up to an hour.

The rest of your post is informative, but you are incorrect that Murphy and Wylie are not in the metroplex. Murphy shares boundaries with both Richardson and Plano - within minutes of 190. Surely you do not disagree that description is well within the metroplex?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:17 PM

764 posts, read 1,657,744 times
Forney is going to be 45 minutes - no traffic, and your price point and 1/2 acre requirement is probably doable. Rockwall is going to be a longer drive 45-60 minutes (depending on how far off I30 you are), but traffic across the lake can be a mess if there's an accident. For Sunnyvale, you'd need to be over $250k (closer to $300k I think) to get the 1/2 acre and you'd be right at 30-45mins. (Traffic on US80 isn't as bad as on I30 after it splits east of downtown - most people are heading northeast.) It's going to be tough to find 1/2 acre closer to Dallas. But at your price, it will be tough to find a house in Lakewood/Lake Highlands regardless of the lot size (in a good school that is). We looked and looked for 1/2 to 3/4 acre and have a commute to downtown - Commerce. We ended up in Sunnyvale since we wouldn't compromise on the lot size. It would be nice if you could rent as you're kids aren't in school yet so you can get a sense of the area, but with the 2 large dogs, it could be difficult to find a rental.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
If you are both downtown you really owe it to yourselves to search in East Dallas/Lakewood - basically a small town ten minutes or less from the Central Business District - but overlooked many times by newcomers because of irrational 'inner city' fears. Your housing budget is a bit low but you can save a fortune by being close to work. The .5 acre is probably not going to be found but the lots, which vary greatly, are larger than many in the new home developments. In that range, your home will also be on the smaller side compared to the new homes on the periphery of Dallas. You will be close to White Rock Lake with its great dog park and many trails. Some parts of the area almost look rural - Williamson and Fisher roads for instance. It's very easy to get to know people through Lakewood Early Childhood PTA http://www.lecpta.org/ Search in your range in 75214, 75206 and 75223.

See: Lakewood | Candy's Dirt | Dallas Real Estate News and Blog by Former Dallas Dirt Editor Candy Evans

Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,561,991 times
Quote:
But at your price, it will be tough to find a house in Lakewood/Lake Highlands regardless of the lot size (in a good school that is).
Yes, this. I'm sorry, I love Lakewood, but there are a very small handful of houses in Lakewood you could afford in the Lakewood Elementary zone and they are on the very small side (1300-1500 sq. feet). I'd look elsewhere.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:37 PM

I think we will need to be more realistic that we may have at least a 45 minute drive if we are looking to get the .5 acre. My husband has a 45 minute drive now, so the driving distance isn't an adjustment for us.

Seems like the Lakewood area homes are older, is that accurate? What are the good elementary schools in this area? We are moving from a 1300 sq ft house built in the 1920s (but on a large lot). We like its charm but it would be nice to have something bigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas