Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:25 PM

33 posts, read 138,475 times

Advertisements

Guys
A post-doc moving to southwestern medical Center(75390) and looking for a SAFE n affordable apartment... Peachtree Square in garland TX (75041) looked good despite being about 20 miles away based on online reviews. Can anybody provide any insights on how the commute will be and on Garland TX in general. Will greatly appreciate your opinions...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 01:58 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Okay but not great. To the east is Eastern Hills Country Club which is a nice older area. To the west and south eh but not HORRIBLE. The Albertsons that was across the street is closed and now a low end grocery store. I don't know the rent on Peachtree but access to get to I30 or LBJ is easy. However, check the new apartments up at the mall, Firewheel Town Center (I think the name is something like Parkview???). EASY access to 190 and 75. Brand new and in a much better area. Also see about Seven Oaks and the Stoneleigh apartments in Garland.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:40 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,907 times
They have a good rating on apartment ratings.com, but that site isn't that reliable IMO. That area of Garland is on the verge of redevelopment, but improvements have already been made. There are some shady areas nearby such as the Kingsley and 635 area, and a stretch along Ferguson road.

I would reccommend the north Garland/Richardson area. That would give you access to 75 and 190 and momof2 stated. It's also a nicer area.

The complex I am at now is well run, and well maintained, but the area is economically depressed and I doubts its going to improve. However, its like 5 minutes from 190, and about 10 from both 635 and 75. My 632 square foot one bedroom runs $635/mo. It's like half a block form North Garland H.S. so traffic gets bad when school lets out. In all honesty just south of here there are some less then desirable areas which is why I am leaving.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:39 PM

I heard that you could get a 1bed apt at the new Parkside at Firewheel apartments for around $550????

::PARKSIDE AT FIREWHEEL::

If I were looking for an apartment this would be it. I mean right out your front door is the mall w/ the restaurants and movie theater right there. Nice stroll around in the evenings to just enjoy the sights and window shop. Even on weekend nights after the stores are closed there are people all over walking. The park area is right across the interior street from the apartments. They have garage parking too.

The other place I'd consider are the Stoneleigh on N. Garland Ave right across from LifeTime Fitness on Naaman School Rd just a block from 190.

Both of these options have DART at the front street if you wanted to ride the bus sometime.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:58 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,496 times
Those Firewheel apartments are very nice.

But your job is on Harry Hines and Inwood, in south-west Oak Lawn. This means a crazy commute (I lived up in the Firewheel area and would never choose to live there if I had to drive all the way to south-west Oak Lawn).

The area has a lot of super expensive luxury apartments and condos but also affordable options. Like the Post Meridian, which starts at $642. Search for oak lawn apartments dallas.

The commute from Firewheel is 28 miles (!!!!!!). Totally unnecessary in DFW (I mean, we are not the Bay Area). 56 miles a day. Even with a fuel efficient car, in rush hour, you'll burn some 3 gal/day = $9/day. That makes living up there 20x$9 = $180/month more expensive than if you pay a little more rent next to your job. And all that wasted time. Not to mention that the entertainment options so close to downtown are infinitely better than up in bedroom Garland (no offense - but this is just reality).

Old 09-22-2007, 08:33 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,881,949 times
I can't imagine driving from Firewheel to UTSW!! LONG commute with LOTS of traffic!!

One caution about moving into Oak Lawn... this is a predominantly gay area of Dallas. So, if this bothers you, then I'd look elsewhere. That being said, it is a gorgeous area with lots of shopping, restaurants, etc.

You might also look in Las Colinas/Irving area. There are lots of nice apartments there, and it also has a lot of shopping/retail and is quite safe. Your commute would be really short drive down 114 to Mockingbird, then over to Harry Hines.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:07 AM

Yes, it could be a bad commute depending on the time of day. The Peachtree location would be much easier but not by a whole lot knowing that the two different places are not that far apart to start with (Firewheel & Peachtree). It would depend on which route and the time of day one took. In morning rush hour from the Firewheel area I can be right by the Peachtree location in about 10-12 minutes and I'm on the other side of 78 from the mall. A good friend commutes from Rowlett to Southwest Dallas everyday and makes it well under an hour so it just depends on the route you want to take.

Commuting to SWMC could take just as long from Las Colinas/Valley Ranch because of all of the traffic coming in from those areas and not many alternatives.

All of the areas are different and it just depends on the lifestyle you want to live away from work.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:16 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
One caution about moving into Oak Lawn... this is a predominantly gay area of Dallas. So, if this bothers you, then I'd look elsewhere.
I am pretty sure you meant to be helpful but I find it awkward that this "gay neighborhood" thing always comes up when people talk about Oak Lawn.

Gosh, there is also little Mexico right there. So if Hispanics bother you, watch out. I even spotted black people there. WARNING.

At the Alan Ross Freedom parade last week, there were even a bunch of lunatic rude Christians shouting by megaphone how sinful all those thousands of homos were who had the audacity to celebrate for a few hours.

So be warned: Oak Lawn is diverse. Some people can't handle that.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Thanks...here's something else.

This is the first time I have such a phenomenal response to one of my posts. I genuinely thank you guys.

Senorita

Old 09-22-2007, 02:31 PM

Hey,
Thanks for that deep analysis. That makes a lot of sense. I am looking for apartments close to the Irving area...looking at Huntington ridge and summer gate as they look close to my budget. Not sure of how these apartments really are but the area sounded better. Lets c how it goes...:-). Thanks again maan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas