Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:04 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times

Advertisements

I live a bit farther south than the areas mention, but traffic is lighter (even driving to downtown), which made my commute to Dallas shorter in time, but not in mileage.

It really depends on what you're looking for. We wanted good schools, a sense of community but lots of SPACE between us and our neighbors. We were looking for a small town and found it here in Ovilla, though we started our search in Ennis.

Local papers are a good place to look, to get a feel of the community. Red Oak has the Red Oak Record, I know Ennis has one, I'm sure the others do too - take a look at the ads and the police blotter. When a paper doesn't print a blotter, it's generally because it would take up too much space, btw.

When we first moved to TX, we rented in McKinney - lots of praise for the area. We loved the downtown festivals, but hated the tiny yards and the wanna-bes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 AM

186 posts, read 446,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
mkay,

Good thread, interesting perspectives.

YOU seem way too sensible to be here.

What is up with that? Do the folks in your little slice of heaven tend to be this sensible?

Mind telling us where that is?

We may like to copy your homework.
LOL!!! My sensibility originates from the fact that I have no horse in this race. I am a life long renter who sampled a good number of towns in his life so far.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:13 PM

105 posts, read 330,452 times
For awhile I felt like Plano was faitytale land. I would joke with people about it being paradise. Everything is out here!! Now...........Plano has became to get a little stale to me. Im not as much as in love as I was when I first got here lol. I feel like I've already seen everything it is to see how here and now Im ready to start exploring the other cities for shopping.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:51 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayne_ View Post
For awhile I felt like Plano was faitytale land. I would joke with people about it being paradise. Everything is out here!! Now...........Plano has became to get a little stale to me. Im not as much as in love as I was when I first got here lol. I feel like I've already seen everything it is to see how here and now Im ready to start exploring the other cities for shopping.
But... That's pretty good praise for Plano nonetheless if your main gripe now is that you've seen everything retail-wise.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:59 PM

Any town can be a Fairytale town for some, some of the times. No place in DFW can be a Fairytale town for all, all of the time. Plano's Willobend Country and Kings Court come really close to Fairytale but for most people it's just a rational and pleasent choice.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:17 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Yep Willow Bend Polo and Hunt Club was kind of a fairy-tale place to go out in the country in the 70s and 80s. I had a couple of friends get married there and once had dinner with a famous person who asked if I was named for him (I lied and said 'yes')...then sprawl came along and wiped out Mr. Brinker's little outpost:

About Us | Become A Texas Polo Player | Texans for Polo

"After Mr. Brinker’s unfortunate and dangerous polo accident in 1993, he was forced to retire from active polo play. Soon afterwards he invited the Payne family that he trusted to take over ownership and management of the Willow Bend Polo and Hunt Club. As Dallas and Plano grew rapidly, former country road FM 544 developed into what we know today as Park Road. And a former railroad easement turned four lane black top road is where the busy, congested North Dallas Tollway now stands. As a result, the demand and need to develop residential and retail real estate in the area began to escalate quickly. Soon the Willow Bend Polo and Hunt Club elected to sell its large expanse of acreage and by 1996 closed its doors as a private country club. A popular and upscale neighborhood now stands where the club’s polo grounds used to be (north of Park Road between the North Dallas Tollway and Preston Road). The original Willow tree that greeted the members at the former entrance to the Willow Bend Polo and Hunt Club in its glory days is still located right where it originally stood, facing Park Road"

BTW Norman Brinker and his family lived in Lakewood in a fairy-tale 1941 Colonial on Frontier https://maps.google.com/maps?q=3727+...ed=0CCEQ8gEwAA off the country-lane-like Williamson Road (still is). They had small lake in the back with stables. You could ride horses at White Rock Lake. I went to school with his two daughters, Cindy and Brenda.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:41 PM

This is interesting information but I mentioned Willowbend Country not Willowbend Polo. I like Willowbend country and El Ranchero country Estates better than oh so popular Willowbend Polo and Preston Lakes.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:02 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafelosophy View Post
LOL!!! My sensibility originates from the fact that I have no horse in this race. I am a life long renter who sampled a good number of towns in his life so far.
Understand.

We have no horse as far as various house / McMansion / Barbie Castle, or Mobile Shack goes, either -- we are renting, as well. And watching the year-on-year make-believe values fall faster than our rent totals.

However, we do have three little ponies (kids at the elementary level) in the race -- so schools come into play, and the Real Estate folks and chronic goofballs and slackers of the Texas Education (geeezz, is THAT a oxymoron or what?) Industry make that a mess.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:49 PM

3,997 posts, read 5,012,780 times
So I've lived in or around Dallas for the last 31 years. Coming from Seattle as a teenager, I always thought Texas was temporary. Dangit if I didn't fall in love with a Texas boy and here we are all these years later.

When I'm talking with someone I know well, I'll gripe about how hot it is, how much traffic there is, how rude they are...complaining my butt off!!

I swear, someone else from somewhere else says the same thing? I'm a mama bear about my Texas! I start singing all the praises I can think of for our great big city and you'd think I worked for the Tourism office. I suppose living here makes it easy to find the faults, but when a newcomer asks or someone else makes a negative comment, we jump to and say "Nope, our place IS utopia". It's crazy.

But as others have said, good and bad with all choices...it all depends on YOU!

Old 06-08-2012, 03:57 PM

119 posts, read 352,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I'm a mama bear about my Texas! I start singing all the praises I can think of for our great big city and you'd think I worked for the Tourism office. I suppose living here makes it easy to find the faults, but when a newcomer asks or someone else makes a negative comment, we jump to and say "Nope, our place IS utopia". It's crazy.
Quote from Animal House: "Hey, they can't humiliate our pledges. Only we can humiliate our pledges!"

Texas definitely has a love it or leave it attitude, which suits its independent spirit. My friends from afar (Dubai, Paraguay, France, etc.) tell me there is something unique & special about Texans. Even the goofy ones. *shrug* as long as it gets me a free beer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas