Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 12:00 PM

13 posts, read 83,266 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm sure this is probably the millionth time you've read somebody from California is considering a move to Texas due to the outrageous housing prices we have here.

Can you give me an idea as to how much a typical homeowners insruance would cost in say Frisco/Plano area, and also what the property taxes might be? I'm thinking about buying something in the 3000SQFT range for around $275K or so.

Also, from what I'm being told, Frisco and Plano are two of the nicest places in the Dallas area. Is that correct? My job would be in Allen so I don't want to be too far from there.

Lastly, if there are any SoCal transplants here, can you tell me how you like the Dallas area? I've never gotten the impression that Dallas would something like AL or MS, you know, the really deep south. Am I correct on this assumption?

Thanks,

Al
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 PM

937 posts, read 2,906,974 times
Plano/Frisco are nice suburban areas. It is not like the deep south here. There are lots of transplants. After your homestead exemption kicks in the property tax shouldn't be more too much more then 6k.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:20 PM

Thank you! What about homeowners insurance, do you know what the rough ballpark number is for a house that size?

Old 09-24-2007, 01:28 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,978 times
A rough average of property tax is 2.4-2.7% of the fair market value of the home. Unlike other areas I have lived in, if you buy the home for 300k, you're getting taxed on close to 300k. The homestead exemption is a flat deduction, not a percentage, so it helps a lot more on a 100k home than on a 300k home. Most areas I think it's 15k and only on the ISD tax.

For a newer home with all the standard locks and deadbolts, security system, etc, I would expect a $275k home to cost around $800 a year to insure assuming a 1% deductible. Get multiple quotes... we saw some companies quoting 2.5x what others had quoted for the same coverage and deductibles.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:00 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinSoCal View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm sure this is probably the millionth time you've read somebody from California is considering a move to Texas due to the outrageous housing prices we have here.

Can you give me an idea as to how much a typical homeowners insruance would cost in say Frisco/Plano area, and also what the property taxes might be? I'm thinking about buying something in the 3000SQFT range for around $275K or so.

Also, from what I'm being told, Frisco and Plano are two of the nicest places in the Dallas area. Is that correct? My job would be in Allen so I don't want to be too far from there.

Lastly, if there are any SoCal transplants here, can you tell me how you like the Dallas area? I've never gotten the impression that Dallas would something like AL or MS, you know, the really deep south. Am I correct on this assumption?

Thanks,

Al
I have a friend in Allen whose property taxes were under $5k for a house that's over 3000 square feet.

I would strongly urge anyone wanting to buy a house with a lot of square footage to consider cooling/heating costs. Houses in Texas are very poorly insulated (even new builds) and depending on how cold you like it, your monthly electric bills in summer could get close to $1k.

Just to be pedantic...Frisco and Plano aren't "north Dallas". My parents live in north Dallas and their property taxes are nearly $9k per year for 2400 sq ft on .45 acres. Ouch!

Lastly...Dallas is nothing like Mississippi or Alabama. Nothing. Like.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:09 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,575 times
Dallas isn't really southern, or western, or midwestern or eastern. It's a mix of all four.

However, anyone who thinks Dallas is "deep south" really doesn't know their history or geography. I know you're not implying that, but occasionally we get trolls on here that try to paint us with the same brush as Jena, La. Dallas is a huge metro area with 6 million people.

I'd also consider moving to DALLAS. And not just the suburbs. There are more things to do and your house will get more appreciation.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:32 PM

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. When you say move to Dallas, what's a good part of the city and what are the prices like? Also, how far of a commute will that be to Allen?

Old 09-24-2007, 02:35 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinSoCal View Post
Thanks everyone, this is very helpful. When you say move to Dallas, what's a good part of the city and what are the prices like? Also, how far of a commute will that be to Allen?
Allen can be quite a commute; from where I am it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour to drive to Allen. It'd be almost that bad to Plano and much worse to Frisco.

Dallas has some really nice areas but it really depends on your budget. The median price for a home is low in the city, but there is only a handful of areas in Dallas where I would buy a home that I could actually afford. If money is no obstacle, then...there's TONS of nice 'hoods in Dallas.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:40 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,575 times
North Dallas and East Dallas have some very nice areas. I think the average house prices are 300k (East Dallas) to 500k (North Dallas) on the low end in both areas.

I didn't think about the commute to Allen. It would be pretty rough from the City of Dallas.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:33 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Allen is very nice. You could live very close to your job if you lived in Allen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas