Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 12:45 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
Lakewood would be too bland for them - unless they like volunteering hundreds of hours in the schools and participating in the neighborhood crime watch. Besides, judging from prior posts about the attidude of "Lakewooders" towards those that are wealthy, they might feel shunned.
That's a joke right? Yeah, Lakewood comes right behind Balch Springs and Red Oak when it comes to shunning the wealthy. Hope those rich Clintons don't have to come through Lakewood. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 12:50 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
That's a joke right? Yeah, Lakewood comes right behind Balch Springs and Red Oak when it comes to shunning the wealthy. Hope those rich Clintons don't have to come through Lakewood. LOL
It appears that way from this comment:
>>First of all driving up in a Mercedes and wearing an Armani would be considered showboating in my part of town. I mean if you are going to the Crystal Charity Ball, I can see it - but showing off in front of poor people is just not considerate.
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...obbish-20.html
<<

He best drive his pick-up truck and wears his boots.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
If Bush wanted to win favor around here he should follow the ways of our late residents Stanley Marcus (on Nonesuch) and HL Hunt (W. Lawther) and just be low key - wear nothing flashy, take your lunch to work, let the kids do term papers on you, drive an older American sedan and wave to everyone. And be sure to open your door for trick-or-treaters -- Mr. Hunt always had popcorn balls -- yum.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
If Bush wanted to win favor around here he should follow the ways of our late residents Stanley Marcus (on Nonesuch) and HL Hunt (W. Lawther) and just be low key - wear nothing flashy, take your lunch to work, let the kids do term papers on you, drive an older American sedan and wave to everyone. And be sure to open your door for trick-or-treaters -- Mr. Hunt always had popcorn balls -- yum.
We had great pool parties at the Hunt's.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
It appears that way from this comment:
>>First of all driving up in a Mercedes and wearing an Armani would be considered showboating in my part of town. I mean if you are going to the Crystal Charity Ball, I can see it - but showing off in front of poor people is just not considerate.
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...obbish-20.html
<<

He best drive his pick-up truck and wears his boots.
Which was in response to:
Quote:
I can't speak for East Dallas per se, but I've lived in plenty of low income/working class neighborhoods. Try driving in to one of them in a Mercedes while wearing an Armani suit and then see how much of a sh*t people really do care about what you might have.
East Dallas covers a large area of Dallas, that includes very depressed areas, ie., along 80 and Carroll Avenue and the area surrounding Baylor Hospital , and then there is the part of Lakewood just west of WRL, the jewel of east Dallas. I would love to live in Lakewood, but, ended up in Richardson. Swiss Avenue is a bit of an enigma, situated smack dab in the middle of a very depressed section of East Dallas. But it's true, appearances where not what would be expected in the ludicrous rich areas of Dallas, Preston Hollow, Deloache (Cuban's House) Straight lane over by Ross Perot, or the Bent Tree area. OMG Our cycling club rides through all these areas, a lot of fun to see the different areas. One time one of us had a flat in front of Ross Perot's house. He came out and asked if we needed any help. Last week I came up on Wade Phillips and his wife taking a walk. We thought about inviting him to ride with us during the post season since he is usually not busy. but we didn't.

Lake Highlands sure isn't what it used to be. Way too many apartments really drove down property values.

Last edited by PanTerra; 05-02-2008 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-02-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
We had great pool parties at the Hunt's.
That was usually the First Baptist bunch..

Old 05-02-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
That was usually the First Baptist bunch..
Oh yes, that was us. June Hunt was our Jr. High Sunday school director.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 PM

PanTerra did you hear about the time Ruth Ray Hunt left her Bible on top of her car when she was visiting a friend on Lakewood Blvd and drove off? Supposedly she was offering a $10,000 reward. Never heard if she recovered it..

Also she was once horrified to find that Lakewood Methodist got ol' HL to join their church - she got him out of it but the church got a new sanctuary.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:16 PM

172 posts, read 509,997 times
So the parasite that is Bush, plans to infest Dallas with his stench of failure. How interesting.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
PanTerra did you hear about the time Ruth Ray Hunt left her Bible on top of her car when she was visiting a friend on Lakewood Blvd and drove off? Supposedly she was offering a $10,000 reward. Never heard if she recovered it..

Also she was once horrified to find that Lakewood Methodist got ol' HL to join their church - she got him out of it but the church got a new sanctuary.
No, I did not hear about that. Too funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas