Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:51 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post

(just checked the Tax Foundation numbers, they put "total tax burden" on Texas at 7.9% and IL at 10.0%, although this was back before IL raised their tax rate from 3% to 5%. The Tax Foundation does have their biases like any other organization, but I expect their methodology is relatively consistent among all states and for this type of data they're likely one of the best resources out there).
I have found ACCRA to be one of the best out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 09:35 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I have found ACCRA to be one of the best out there.
For COL or taxes (or both)? Thanks much for the ACCRA link, although apparently they charge for COL comps and my curiosity isn't that great right now. If CNN uses their data, then that's one of COL calculators I was looking at.

Love that the Bankrate calculator includes the price of Lipitor. Do they adjust for the fact that there are 7 burger places within 1.5 miles of my current residence but only one such place that close in Chicago?

Old 03-19-2013, 11:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,238 times
Southlake, in my opinion, is much, much nicer than Colleyville.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:34 PM

172 posts, read 355,814 times
University Park

Old 03-19-2013, 11:45 PM

162 posts, read 303,711 times
University Park's location is better and schools are a notch above other two.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:48 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LALadyNewYorker View Post
Southlake, in my opinion, is much, much nicer than Colleyville.
Can I ask why you say that? We preferred Colleyville to some extent but wound up in Southlake because we happened to find a "best-fit" house there. We liked Colleyville because it's slightly "older" (not that either is "old") and a little less "busy", also seems a bit more "eclectic". Southlake seems a little heavier on the shopping and with more traffic, although obviously there are quieter parts of both communities.

I admit that the shopping areas along Southlake Blvd appear "shinier" than the more limited choices along 26 in Colleyville, but in terms of residential areas there's not a lot of difference IMHO, and Colleyville appears to have more mature trees in residential neighborhoods than Southlake overall, although again there are exceptions either way in both areas. Carroll ISD has better metrics than GCISD but GCISD serves a slightly less affluent demographic overall than Carroll (some multi-family housing and such in parts of Grapevine) which likely is most of the difference.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but don't see either as being "much" better or worse than the other. Both are generally affluent communities with very nice housing and schools. Southlake has more shopping than Colleyville, which to me is more of a plus to Colleyville (more/worse traffic in Southlake) but to others would be a plus to Southlake (shopping/dining out more often/easier). The differences between two are minor compared to the differences of either vis-a-vis Park Cities.

And re-visiting threads like these, along with some of the others about Park Cities vs. Preston Hollow, suddenly makes me feel poor.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,238 times
I know what you mean. I love the Highland Park area, with those beautiful stores. But sometimes I think there are people in HP who feel poor because their house is "only" worth 2.5 million. Southlake is consistent in its calm suburban feel. Colleyville looks nice enough, but it's actually sort of weird. I just don't like the vibe over there in the stores and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas