Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:19 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPS25 View Post
TC80 - thanks for the detailed information. Excellent research.

Do you think Frisco High Schools are on the path to becoming just as good as Coppell or Flower Mound. Most of the HS are fairly new compared to Coppell, right?
No. And the main reason for my thoughts is addressed below-->

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveinSept View Post
TC80,

Has Frisco ISD been there for a while, or is it a new upcoming ISD? And how about the Frisco city as such, is it seeing the development only in recent years?

Over another 5-10 years, given the highest income/educated parents, can Frisco ISD turn the cards, and pull itself up.

Whats your thoughts on this?
That's a good argument since the school district has seen explosive growth in new schools & new families moving in over the past 10-15 years. However, their SAT scores are on a downward trend over the past few years. It's just a few points eroision from year to year, but the concerning thing is that the trend is DOWN. School districts that are improving are moving the other direction.

Prosper ISD is another CoCo school district that I pick on a lot, but at least their SAT scores are starting to show growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 12:26 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
No. And the main reason for my thoughts is addressed below-->

That's a good argument since the school district has seen explosive growth in new schools & new families moving in over the past 10-15 years. However, their SAT scores are on a downward trend over the past few years. It's just a few points eroision from year to year, but the concerning thing is that the trend is DOWN. School districts that are improving are moving the other direction.

Prosper ISD is another CoCo school district that I pick on a lot, but at least their SAT scores are starting to show growth.
I can't believe I would defend Frisco, but....There is no question some of these town manage their growth better than others, Frisco probably not doing the best job in the education department based on SATs scores you mentioned But don't you think comparing Frisco to Coppell just isn't apples to apples? I mean Coppell is an established suburb with a tremendous advantage in be located closer in with a more established system in place. There is no question it's a better place to invest dollars, but Frisco is not solely about having a new home for some people. Not me of course.

Just playing devils advocate here, I personally think Frisco stinks, for various reasons. Some of those reasons are the same for why I don't like Coppell. Just not sure you can compare it to Coppell without making it look like a complete loser, and some of those reasons have more to do with geo than schools. I mean we'd all like to live in the best school district, but there are barriers to getting into the best systems in the best towns. I don't think people just move to Frisco because the houses are shiny and new is part of my point, for some it's just a series of compromises one has to make based on Economics.

My preference would be a older home (relatively speaking) in a better district, especially with my trepidation and inability to find meaningful data on why schools are better or worse where I am from in comparison to Texas schools. But...When you have a flock of kids, need room, are used to certain ammenites etc, I can see the allure of a newer suburb. Mind you, I grew up in one of THE best school districts in MA, schools mean alot. But as a parent now (of 3), I pay $12k a year in private school tuition, plus property taxes in a town with mediocre schools.

From a pure investment perspective, Coppell wins for reasons Frisco could never compete with. Doesn't mean Frisco won't eventually address their growth problems.

Last edited by skids929; 08-02-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I can't believe I would defend Frisco, but....There is no question some of these town manage their growth better than others, Frisco probably not doing the best job in the education department based on SATs scores you mentioned But don't you think comparing Frisco to Coppell just isn't apples to apples? I mean Coppell is an established suburb with a tremendous advantage in be located closer in with a more established system in place. There is no question it's a better place to invest dollars, but Frisco is not solely about having a new home for some people. Not me of course.

Just playing devils advocate here, I personally think Frisco stinks, for various reasons..Just not sure you can compare it to Coppell without making it look like a complete loser, and some of those reasons have more to do with geo than schools.
It's true: Coppell obviously has a much longer track record. But at the end of the day, these folks have school aged kids NOW. Not in 10-20 years, but now. They need to buy based on where they are confident kids are already getting an outstanding education, not in a district the may or may not become great in 20 years when it's the same age as Coppell is today.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:46 PM

26 posts, read 80,822 times
We will be moving to dallas area soon, and I am looking out for the info on schools, I have a 7yr old gifted child. I was looking at the cfbisd leap program. How is the performance of cfbisd? How about Carrolton city in general?

Can someone show me a direction as to which school district to start with and what options I would have in middle/high school?

The overlapping of the cities, so many school districts/choices are making it so difficult for us to come to a decision.

Your inputs are appreciated..

( And does anyone have info on UNIVERSAL ACADEMY, Coppell. Heard it was really competitive and academically accelarated than the ISD's. Need inputs on this too )

Old 08-02-2012, 12:58 PM

7 posts, read 19,635 times
DH's office is on preston road in Dallas. He is staying in an apt in valleyranch area and it is taking almost an hour commute for him and he is paying toll too. WE dont know how far will be frisco from his office - we should try driving from frisco to his office some day and check, but according to google maps it is more of less the same.
Thank you TurtleCreek80 you gave lot of good information.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:26 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times
I think Frisco ISD will remain desired and strong for a long time.Frisco already has a population of about 140,000.The estimated build out is close to 290,000.Zoning will greatly impact the quality of the district.Frisco ISD is huge.One of the largest exemplary ISD's in the state of Texas.I do not think Frisco will match up to the top ISD's in the area like Coppell and Carrol for instance,but believe Frisco ISD will remain desirable.The only contenders that I see eventually matching up with Coppell/ Carroll are Prosper and Love Joy.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movefromkansas View Post
DH's office is on preston road in Dallas. He is staying in an apt in valleyranch area and it is taking almost an hour commute for him and he is paying toll too. WE dont know how far will be frisco from his office - we should try driving from frisco to his office some day and check, but according to google maps it is more of less the same.
Preston Road runs for like 50 miles- from just north of downtown Dallas almost all the way to Oklahoma. It even runs right through Frisco! You need to know the cross streets to figure out your commute times.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:35 PM

37 posts, read 143,044 times
Hi!! I moved from the San Francisco bay area 2 years ago and we live in Far North Dallas, close to Preston and Frankfort. I have been thru Coppell and it is beautiful and have been to Frisco and I must say I am not impressed, although it looks like a nice place to live.

Honestly the traffic on the toll way from Frisco to any location, even just to Bush or 635 looks like a nightmare. These suburbs grow faster than the toll/free ways and it looks like a mess every morning. I would say that a commute to the Preston area of Highland Park would be 20-25 minutes on a weekend and could be at least an 1-1.25 hours during the week. Now if DH has a flexible start and finish, it might not be an issue.

We live in Far North Dallas with 2 boys, 9 and 8 year old. I love the area, it is strategically located where you can pretty much get anywhere in the DFW pretty quickly... Frisco is 15 minutes, Allen is 20 minutes, Downtown is 20-25 minutes, Galeria or Highland Park is 15 minutes, DFW airport is 25 minutes, Las Colinas is 15 minutes, Garland is 15-20 minutes, etc., etc.

What is also nice and weird of this area is that it is a Dallas address, Dallas services, Collin County and Plano Schools. We feed up to Plano West which is one of the best High Schools in the country. 95% of the graduates attend college. The elementary at least is diverse and the teachers are great. The SAT scores are great and you also have access to many private schools if you eventually want to go that route. Yes, the high school is huge, so we might just send the boys to private high school. The afterschool activities are very convenient and well organized, check out PSA Plano.

West Plano is a 350k-1.5M community, so you can easily fit it in your budget.

We live on the west side of Preston and north of Frankfort. The nich is really cute, yes the houses were built in the 90s, and the community in general are empty nesters, but newer families are moving in for the school district and we have not had a shortage of friends.

The best part of this area is the landscaping.... lots of mature trees (it was built before builder would pull out all the tress), fenomenal individual landscaping adn everyone seems to invest $$ in their property. For some reason this area is kind of prairie like, which makes it very pleasant for the eye. I find Plano to be well plano, flat. We lived in a new house in California, been there done that, yes it is nice to not have the repairs, but older homes seem to have more character in my opinion.

If I were to suggest, rent for 6 months and find out where you want to live.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:09 PM

186 posts, read 446,313 times
You should also look into West Plano for short commute, excellent schools and every amenity at your door step. West Plano neighborhoods are not too new to be bland yet not too old to be vintage. Most communities above 400K offer custom homes ,greenery, small lakes, creeks and golf courses.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:15 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Quote:
An hour commute from Valley Ranch?? I go from Coppell to Plano in 30 minutes on the toll road. Where on Preston is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas