Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:31 PM

16 posts, read 34,747 times

Advertisements

Hi All- my partner and I have lived in Bedford tx for several years and we have 3 small kids. The area has not been very friendly to a family like ours. With all of the recent talk of " traditional marriage" it feels very hostile to gays out here..our neighbor has religious and political signs all over his yard calling the president a radical Communist- * if that gives you an idea of the vibe in our area. *

We would like to move to Dallas but need help finding the right area. Since we have lived in a small city, we are not accustomed to crime. Im nervous to leave a safe place we know but we really feel we need a more tolerant area to raise our kids. Schools are very important so we prefer Richardson isd, need 4 bedroom, $300-$350k budget. *We heard overall north Dallas and lake highlands would be good- but I would love any specific advice from people who know the city. (are there areas to avoid, etc) thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 06:52 PM

60 posts, read 133,510 times
The City of Dallas is gay friendly too....quite liberal. It's just the suburbs are typically filled with all the conservatives. There are plenty of gay neighborhoods in the Oaklawn area. I'm not familiar with the names of them, but I know it exists. In addition, if you're looking to be in the city of Dallas, but have your children in another ISD...consider Far North Dallas (above I-635). Carrollton-Farmers Branch and Richardson ISDs service that area of the city.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:56 PM

20 posts, read 43,875 times
^^ what Yokandman said.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:08 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
I know of at least one male gay couple raising children in my neighborhood. It's not a big deal around here. I'm in Richardson in the Heights Park neighborhood. With your budget, check out Canyon Creek; it's a very nice neighborhood and as far as I know, gay friendly.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,760,762 times
As a rule the burbs of Dallas are going to be more gay friendly than those by Fort Worth. Two of our best friends are a gay couple that lives in Richardson. They've lived there for 8 years and (according to them) have not had one problem. The Lake Highlands area of Dallas has also become popular with gay families.

Dallas as a city is vey LGBT friendly.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 AM

764 posts, read 1,657,744 times
Where will you be working? With 3 small kids I'm not sure either of you will want to spend 2-3 hours on your commute each day. If you haven't got the job thing sorted out, then Richardson/Lake Highlands isn't bad as it would be a 'rather' central location for job hunting.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:05 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
Where will you be working? With 3 small kids I'm not sure either of you will want to spend 2-3 hours on your commute each day. If you haven't got the job thing sorted out, then Richardson/Lake Highlands isn't bad as it would be a 'rather' central location for job hunting.
This is the best point made in this thread.
Live wherever you want that you like, that is convenient, and that fits your budget.
Don't buy the claptrap about suburbs being this that or the other.
Nobody cares.

I've lived in West Plano pretty much for 23 years, have great friends, great neighbors, etc...no one cares.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:48 AM

112 posts, read 352,271 times
I know of a lesbian couple that are fostering several young boys in the RISD area. They seem to have no problems.

The most important question is - where will you be working?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:35 PM

812 posts, read 2,184,845 times
"our neighbor has religious and political signs all over his yard calling the president a radical Communist".

Huh? A bit of an exaggeration maybe? I've never seen any signs about Obama like that. Home made? It would be foolish to have that kind of sign (or bumper sticker) exposed because some liberal would come along and egg your property. Now, religious signs I've seen as this is the Bible Belt.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-06-2012 at 03:29 PM..

Old 08-06-2012, 05:37 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,868,570 times
Why make a move just because of one neighbor? I can't think of any area anywhere with a completely homogenous viewpoint from home to home. Just because there is one in your neighborhood that is much more right of you on his choice for president that likes displaying such in his front yard, do you really think that there is anything in Richardson or Lake Highlands that would keep someone with the same viewpoint out of that neighborhood as well?

Until you feel directly threatened, is it really worth uprooting your home and family because of the views of one individual? If you like another area for other reasons, if your job is taking you to another area, if you want a larger home, or are downsizing, or any other numerous reasons for moving... then move. But I fear you could make all this change and find a next door neighbor with the seem ideals.

Just my 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas