Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:45 AM

22 posts, read 71,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
So you are looking for a new home in close proximity to work in Lewisville for under $400k with excellent schools? Flower Mound will be about as good as it gets for those criteria.

The problem is that there is very little available development land in this part of the world, so many cities (such as Grapevine) are essentially "built out" and you can only buy existing homes. That's not to say that those homes are dumpy, or the neighborhoods are crime-ridden, it just means there aren't brand-new homes. Now, those few pieces of development property are out there, and when developers get one, they want to get their money's worth for it. So, they build big, million-dollar luxury homes on it. In order to get a brand-new home, you either have to pay $$$ or be willing to drive a long way out to the fringes f the area. Make sense?
Thanks again. I'm going to see what is available in FloMo this weekend. Will drive around and see what the major areas are there.

I'm also keeping Coppell as an option, but it just seems like the older homes would require more maintenance and would also have higher electricity costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 09:46 AM

22 posts, read 71,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
The base price is firm indeed. But you should get some allowance for upgrades too. The Villas in Carillon are not really zero lot lines. The lot is just not large enough for a pool or play soccer, but plenty to plant, a swing set, patio and even a hottub etc.

When I am ready to downsize, this is one of the neighborhoods on my list.

Naima
Thanks Naima.

Have you had any clients interested in this area and builder? Any other toughts on this? Thanks.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:22 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPS25 View Post
I'm also keeping Coppell as an option, but it just seems like the older homes would require more maintenance and would also have higher electricity costs.
Not Necessarily. We aren't talking ancient, historic homes. We're talking homes that are maybe 20 years old. you should be fine as long as you get a good inspection so you know what you're dealing with. As long as the house is well-maintained, it's not a big deal. The house I own is 22 years old, and the previous owners did lots of updates, including extra insulation in the attic. We replaced appliances and the hvac. No big deal. It's nice to have a neighborhood with mature trees, too!

Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 PM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You won't get into Southlake cheaply, and KH is a luxury home builder.
KHovanian is most definitely a volume builder, not really true luxury. Even the saleslady at the KH model (adjacent the Carillon information center) admits they are a volume builder. Adding upgrades throughout the house is how KH makes a large part of their profit.

Anyways, hope you have decided on where to move. Southlake is one of the best places to live in the state and offers superb amenities. We have live here for nearly twenty years and couldn't be happier with our sense of community. Aren't there many rude, stuck-up people in Southlake? Yes and no. However, everyone will quickly fall into a social group and meet close friends, at least that was our case. Aren't taxes high? Yes, that is why the city is maintained and planned so well. (I'm not sure how other city's taxes compare.)

I hope my tidbits helped. Feel free to send me questions/concerns if you have any.

Last edited by BCB; 09-17-2012 at 03:49 PM..

Old 09-17-2012, 11:30 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Flash over substance I would say
I think you would be better off looking for home that might be under 10 yrs old
there were lot of homes built in Southlake then and I could recommend some quality builders
Those homes might look great in the models...but you would really want to see a model under construction

Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,819,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCB View Post
KHovanian is most definitely a volume builder, not really true luxury. .
totally agree..the earlier statement about them being a Luxe builder had my eyebrow raised..I looked at their product in various locations in the 300-400K range. They were just ok, nothing really blew my hair back.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:13 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Remember the context of the thread... The OP was looking for the cheapest way possible to get into Southlake. She was hoping the builder would reduce their base price on the homes, etc. I told her they were a luxury builder because her basis for comparison was much cheaper builders, and to her, K Hov's price was too high.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:31 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPS25 View Post
Thanks for your responses Christie.

We can live with a small yard. We prefer a lower maintenance yard. There would be an amenity center which i like and i was thinking younger families with kids would be residents here due to the play ares and pool area.

The answer to the rest of the points would def be a no (peer pressure, car, fancy vacations, etc).

In your opinion, what would be the best place with school as a top priority and newer home second priority. Thanks.
Ugh. Ignore these "Southlake has more peer pressure" comments. They are always from people not living here. We lived for years in a run of the mill, average neighborhood, in hum-drum Euless and have found people here more welcoming and friendly. The few kids here who's parents go overboard with the clothes, and cars are rightly sneered at just as the would in any other suburb.

I don't see a high demand for these homes in Southlake with the economy, so if they are not bargaining, it's likely due to the fact, they don't have any pricing power already, and are giving you fire sale pricing.

Additionally, no area offers the return on investment as Southlake does. It's arare, in that it's a one high school district, combined with negligible low income housing or apartments.. Only a few exclusive communities can offer this. This combined with the proximity to the airport is going to keep home values here outpacing other suburbs for Decades.

Last edited by padcrasher; 09-18-2012 at 03:48 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 06:29 PM

186 posts, read 446,313 times
Lewsville is adjacent to West Plano so may be you can try that option as well.

Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,889,306 times
Quote:
KHovanian is most definitely a volume builder, not really true luxury. .
I agree, in PA KHOV homes were cheaply made etc... Drees and Toll bros had nicer homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas