Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 02:51 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times

Advertisements

The Lakewood area next to Park Cities is of interest. Does anyone know where I can get the crime rate for that area?
Does anyone know where I can find the median age, cost of living, housing cost and all the other things one needs to know about an area on Lakewood, specifically? Having a little trouble finding out.
Lakewood is not a really churchy area, is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 02:54 PM

937 posts, read 2,905,969 times
It's not a churchy area from what I can tell. The dallas city website has crime maps where you can search for all types of crimes and it goes back several years.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:47 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
TW most of the demographic info is very dated and highly suspect as we have had a lot of changes (gentrification/McMansions) in the past few years. It's like a small town also, so it's not easily quantifiable - there are all age groups, etc. You would really learn a lot more by going out, driving around and meeting with people.

As for the home prices the latest Lakewood Advocate report shows an average of nearly $500K for Lakewood Elementary (excluding Hollywood Heights and the area just to the north of Mockingbird). If you are more interested in the M-Streets (Stonewall Jackson and part of Lee Elementaries) it is about $100K less. The M-Streets are a bit more uniform, although there are many different styles of houses. Lakewood has more variety and there are many multi-million dollar homes mixed in...

If you can find anything in 75214 (Lakewood) or 75206 (M-Streets) in the 200s or less, I would say buy it on the spot. The appreciation rate is really good here.

You can be 'churchy' or not around here. There are many families who have belonged to the same churches for generations, but I would say there is no peer pressure to go. Many of the kids are involved in the youth groups. I know some people who go to several different churches depending on their mood. It's a very friendly area, so you might want to go just to see your friends or their kids in something.

See:

Lakewood, Dallas, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Archives (http://www.advocatemag.com/archives/list_archives.php - broken link)

Lakewood-Now.net - Dallas Texas - online community newspaper (http://lakewood-now.net - broken link)

Also search here for Lakewood, East Dallas, M-Streets threads..

Old 10-03-2007, 04:19 PM

Also see: Lakewood Neighborhood Association

Old 10-03-2007, 06:20 PM

Thank you, Lakewood, I was hoping you would respond as I knew you would be in the know on this subject.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:44 AM

47 posts, read 163,360 times
Default Thanks Lakewooder!

Once again Lakewooder has given us great advice. Can't wait to check out this area and look at the schools............I just knew there were more options then the Park Cities!!!!

We'll be in town in two weeks for a visit. It's been fun to look at the beautiful homes in this area. We feel so much more educated about this area.

Hey Lakewooder maybe you can start neighborhood tours for us newbies!

Old 10-04-2007, 08:19 AM

Hey I've already had a couple of requests -- besides my pickup for my rentals I only have a 1966 Mustang running. And there's the 1957 Buick Special in the garage that someday will be in the Lakewood 4th of July Parade (I hope!).

I would be glad to meet anyone at our local establishments and show them around. If you are doing a self-tour, be sure to get a map. You might start from Downtown, go up Swiss Ave to Lakewood Shopping Center and then Lakewood Blvd to White Rock Lake, go up West Lawther (west shore of lake) to Mockingbird then take Mockingbird back to Mockingbird Station/SMU. Then fan off any of those streets. You should also go up and down Greenville, Skillman and Abrams and fan off when you see something interesting. Hollywood Heights is a bit hidden, it's between Lakewood Country Club and Tenison golf courses..also look for neighborhood associations, home tours etc.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:49 AM

Lakewood, do you have any statistics on the demographics concerning where people are from or how many churches are in that area? I am only afraid of getting stuck with natives that have out-of-Staters, and no matter the 22 years I lived in Houston, I will always be a Yankee to Texans. And don't want to get into a too religious area as I am not. Any info on those subjects?

Old 10-04-2007, 10:33 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
I grew up in Dallas, the Park Cities actually. My Dad is from Indiana. When he drove through the south in the sixties he was not served for being a "Yankee." When he lived in East Texas, there was a little of that. But even there it was just joking -- "Oh you Yankee."

But he has not had one person, not one, refer to him as a "Yankee" in Dallas. I really don't think you'll run into that here. Especially not in Lakewood.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:20 AM

Honestly, I had many people refer to me as a Yankee while in the Houston area for 22 years--especially when I first go there and sounded Midwestern (like many native Houstonians do = no accent, just middle American)--but talked fast like they do in Chicago. Trust me, it was not appreciated by the natives much. I figured out I had to change it after a few years...and taught myself to sloooooow down. THEN I never heard myself called a Yankee again. I learned...but it was a real drag for quite awhile being called a Yankee constantly or, may I quote the common phrase, "You must be a Yankee.." And, you, sir, must be an a******. It got OLD, OLD, OLD!
I am surprised to hear you say--as I understand DFW to more much more true TEXAN than Houston is--that I would not hear myself called a Yankee there. Really? I wonder why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas