Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 PM

217 posts, read 381,896 times

Advertisements

Anybody know more about this sighting from a 1.5 years ago ? Or any others ?

Experts weigh in on cougar sighting | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

For what it is worth, I had read that the sighting was by a good source that was very believable.

I live on the same lake as Copper Canyon.... just a short drive to there, so does pull on my curiosity if there are more around. I live next to a fairly large thick wooded park area.... no telling whats in there. (All around my bushes have been getting dug up by something) Probably deer or something, but not sure.

In any regards, I had no idea Mountain Lions were in this part of the state. I knew they were West and South in the Mountains and Hill country. But not here. I'm not worried about them.... just curious.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 09:45 PM

15,527 posts, read 10,495,101 times
It's just chupacabras, no need to worry.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,756 times
There are bobcats in the area but that's pretty much it as far as big cats go.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 PM

114 posts, read 200,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
You should see Puerto Ricos version of that, it looks like a goblin

Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Thank you for participating in my thread, your input has been truly enlightening.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
There are bobcats in the area but that's pretty much it as far as big cats go.
How do you know ?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Worthian View Post
You should see Puerto Ricos version of that, it looks like a goblin
Thanks for contributing.... not sure what would have happened to this thread without your tasty morsel of information.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:38 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Not too long ago someone ran over an ocelot in Palo Pinto County. A big male can weight almost 50 pounds but they look much bigger than that. Maybe one wandered way out of his normal range which is about Brownwood to the north. Or maybe someone had one for a pet/breeder?

As a kid in San Angelo I saw three different ocelots over the years in the wild. They are really beautiful.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Not too long ago someone ran over an ocelot in Palo Pinto County. A big male can weight almost 50 pounds but they look much bigger than that. Maybe one wandered way out of his normal range which is about Brownwood to the north. Or maybe someone had one for a pet/breeder?

As a kid in San Angelo I saw three different ocelots over the years in the wild. They are really beautiful.
I've been reading a bit more.... the link below shows the counties where mortalities have been confirmed. (I guess that means where they have been killed at one time or another), but the sightings of them covers pretty much all counties including Tarrant & Denton is what I was reading in another place. Looks like the closest mortality is 2 counties to the west of Denton. So maybe, in small poplulations they are here in some dense areas... I don't know.

One fella said, because mountain lions are recluses and avoid humans, for every one you see where you wouldn't think they are, there are probably 10 more in other areas you wouldn't expect to see them.

Mountain Lions in Texas - Texas Wildlife Resources - TexasHuntFish.com (TX)

Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,069,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Lost View Post
I've been reading a bit more.... the link below shows the counties where mortalities have been confirmed. (I guess that means where they have been killed at one time or another), but the sightings of them covers pretty much all counties including Tarrant & Denton is what I was reading in another place. Looks like the closest mortality is 2 counties to the west of Denton. So maybe, in small poplulations they are here in some dense areas... I don't know.

One fella said, because mountain lions are recluses and avoid humans, for every one you see where you wouldn't think they are, there are probably 10 more in other areas you wouldn't expect to see them.

Mountain Lions in Texas - Texas Wildlife Resources - TexasHuntFish.com (TX)
Thanks for the link. I didn't know mountain lions had been found so far north - great info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas