Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 09:03 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,036 times

Advertisements

Brand-new suburbia(Allen,Prosper,Mc Kinney,Frisco)is a perfect fit for many people.I had zero interest in Richardson,Plano or Coppell when we moved here.Being closer to Dallas is only valuable if you need to travel there.Many people here do and many people do not.I work off the Tollway and wanted new construction.I did not want to do any updating or drive far for shopping and entertainment.The shopping and entertainment that fits my familys needs is located North of 121 in areas like Allen & Frisco.

In my opinion,new suburbia and older suburbs here in DFW are equal in many ways, not better or worse. It depends on where you commute to and what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 09:18 AM

64 posts, read 167,080 times
I would absolutely choose Richardson, which is really in between Plano and Downtown. Beside that, in Richardson there are some good neighborhoods. Another advantage is that you will be near the I75 highway, which is the best route for both of your working places. Too bad you will suffer for the heavy traffic during the rush hours, especially from the 635 and the 75 intersection to Downtown.

If you are going more often to the Downtown office, though, i suggest you to consider the White Rock lake area. Far enough from the "bad" neighborhoods and well connected with both of your destinations.

With your salary, you will enjoy a very good standard of living. My wife and I bring at home about 75,000$ yearly and we can't complain at all.

I don't know much about schools, however.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:22 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Brand-new suburbia(Allen,Prosper,Mc Kinney,Frisco)is a perfect fit for many people.I had zero interest in Richardson,Plano or Coppell when we moved here.Being closer to Dallas is only valuable if you need to travel there.Many people here do and many people do not.I work off the Tollway and wanted new construction.I did not want to do any updating or drive far for shopping and entertainment.The shopping and entertainment that fits my familys needs is located North of 121 in areas like Allen & Frisco.

In my opinion,new suburbia and older suburbs here in DFW are equal in many ways, not better or worse. It depends on where you commute to and what you are looking for.
OP specifically mentioned wanting outstanding schools. I, and others, gave him a list of places that meet that criteria plus his commuting desires. I gave him info based on how the schools are TODAY, not how residents wish or hope or project the schools in other areas will become in the future. Present performance is the best indicator of future results.

If op decides to sacrifice school quality for bigger/ newer / farther out as others have decided, he can extend the search to Frisco, Prosper, etc.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:51 PM

6 posts, read 6,870 times
Hey all, thanks for all the input.

The office in Plano will be near Dallas North Tollway and the one downtown isn't far from it. I'm comfortable with keeping the budget under $400K and I also don't mind older homes that need a bit of remodeling work. Although my wife will be returning to work later and her income is quite substantial, we're not counting it into the equation. I agree that Highland Park is probably out of my range and I'm not one to live beyond my means.

So based on all the input I'll probably begin my hunt and concentrate in the West Plano and the Richardson areas, and scratch Addison off my list. I'll try to keep an open mind when I get into the physical house-hunting phase and see if the other areas (Frisco, Allen, etc) make sense. I appreciate everyone for taking the time to give me input.

Careerbound:
Yes, it was tough choosing between Dallas and NYC as I have family up there. My company would adjust the salary accordingly based on cost-of-living, but I think for my family and kid(s) $120K is better off in Dallas than $200K in NYC. Which part of Kansas City were you from?

Old 09-15-2012, 01:48 PM

764 posts, read 1,657,345 times
Just a side thought...if you moved to NY and made $200k and lived there for 2-3 years before your child entered elementary school, could you then ask for a transfer to Dallas? Would your company really decrease your salary from $200k (or more after a few years work) to $120-$140k? We've never taken a pay decrease when moving - we either stay even or we get a cost of living increase. Just something to think about...

Old 09-15-2012, 02:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
Just a side thought...if you moved to NY and made $200k and lived there for 2-3 years before your child entered elementary school, could you then ask for a transfer to Dallas? Would your company really decrease your salary from $200k (or more after a few years work) to $120-$140k? We've never taken a pay decrease when moving - we either stay even or we get a cost of living increase. Just something to think about...
Good point. At $200k, OP could rent up to a $5k apartment (NYC 40x rule) which would get a nice 2 BR in almost any neighborhood in Manhattan. $4k would prob be enough for a 2br unless OP is hell-bent on living in Tribeca. Family of 3 can definitely have a good life on $200k in the city, and leave the option open for Dallas at a higher salary in the future.

My company has offices in Dallas, SF, and NYC and doesn't ever take salaries down when the NY or SF'ers move to Dallas. Usually they get a "bump" to take the job in - less sexy/desirable- Dallas, plus full relo.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:02 PM

10 posts, read 13,686 times
You might also look at The Stonebridge area in west McKinney. A bit of a commute to Downtown Dallas but anywhere north of there is easy. Stonebridge is a recent development, less than 15 years old and has homes & neighborhoods from the $159k to the $1M range in price. And very good school. (though personally I wouldn't send my kids to any school in Texas, public or private, except possible Hockaday. Hockaday is out of your price range).

Old 09-15-2012, 03:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verugus View Post
Hey all, thanks for all the input.

The office in Plano will be near Dallas North Tollway and the one downtown isn't far from it. I'm comfortable with keeping the budget under $400K and I also don't mind older homes that need a bit of remodeling work. Although my wife will be returning to work later and her income is quite substantial, we're not counting it into the equation. I agree that Highland Park is probably out of my range and I'm not one to live beyond my means.

So based on all the input I'll probably begin my hunt and concentrate in the West Plano and the Richardson areas, and scratch Addison off my list. I'll try to keep an open mind when I get into the physical house-hunting phase and see if the other areas (Frisco, Allen, etc) make sense. I appreciate everyone for taking the time to give me input.

Careerbound:
Yes, it was tough choosing between Dallas and NYC as I have family up there. My company would adjust the salary accordingly based on cost-of-living, but I think for my family and kid(s) $120K is better off in Dallas than $200K in NYC. Which part of Kansas City were you from?
Richardson is a great suburb; I'm biased because I live here, obviously. The schools that feed into JJ Pearce and Richardson High School are excellent. There are some parts of north Dallas zoned to Richardson schools but I don't remember which zip codes. On the Richardson side, look in 75080.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:01 PM

6 posts, read 6,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
Yes, that's a good point. This was something that my wife and I talked about, but she wasn't too excited about having to live in NYC and there's already a job lined up for her in Dallas, but it's certainly something for us to consider more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditos41 View Post
You might also look at The Stonebridge area in west McKinney. A bit of a commute to Downtown Dallas but anywhere north of there is easy. Stonebridge is a recent development, less than 15 years old and has homes & neighborhoods from the $159k to the $1M range in price. And very good school. (though personally I wouldn't send my kids to any school in Texas, public or private, except possible Hockaday. Hockaday is out of your price range).
I understand that with all the funding cuts and pressure to jack up the ratings and scores, many Texas schools aren't "ideal" or competitive in people's eyes on this forum. But I met many exceptionally bright people in college and at work, who are from all over the states and many of them grew up in various Texas cities. Looks like you are saying that Hockaday is the only school that I should send my kid to if I live in Texas, and that's out of my price range anyway? What's in my price range? Please explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Richardson is a great suburb; I'm biased because I live here, obviously. The schools that feed into JJ Pearce and Richardson High School are excellent. There are some parts of north Dallas zoned to Richardson schools but I don't remember which zip codes. On the Richardson side, look in 75080.
OK, I'll definitely check out that zip code. Thanks BigD

Old 09-16-2012, 05:00 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
I am pretty sure which firm you work for. I'd take the DFW transfer, but only because you will be able to easily find another job if they eventually lay you off.

The big question no one has asked is if you own in KC and if you are upside down? Or will they buy your home for you?

I'd ignore Bandito. Both Plano ISD and Lewisvill ISD generate more National Merit kids than most any other district in the US. And TX cutoff scores are just 2-4 points below the East Coast Boarding Schools, the highest in the nation. Plano, Flower Mound, Coppell, and Highland Park are the top cities for schools in the DFW area.

I'd look in the 75093 zip code for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas