Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 08:30 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Volunteer.

When I was in my 20s and 30s and single, I volunteered a lot. Almost every non-profit needs volunteers. You meet people with similar interests. You help society by giving of your time.

I made several close friends doing volunteer work; learned a lot; and felt good giving. I met my now husband while I was volunteering and he decided to volunteer for the same group so that he could get to know me better.

The Volunteer Center of North Texas has many opportunities to choose from. Some are one offs. Some are monthly or weekly commitments. Some would be whenever you have the time.
Volunteer Center of North Texas
this is excellent advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 07:06 AM

229 posts, read 305,096 times
Moving to Dallas and settling in Plano would be similar to moving to NYC and settling in Staten Island. Plano is all about families, which is not a bad thing, if you have one. Work is only a small part of our lives, you should never choose a place to live just because it is close to work. You should choose to live where you actually want to LIVE, and where you are surrounded by others of similar lifestyle. Plano can be a great place, if you are part of a family unit and are looking for family oriented activities, but for the two thirds of your life when you are not working you should probably choose a place that better suits your lifestyle.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,776 times
Perhaps I'd be in your same situation. Either moving to Dallas or another american large city. But in this case I'm more focused in a texan city like Dallas, due to many factors for business (if it's really true what you read and hear until you don't talk directly with an accountant from the place).
I was considering Dallas city, since I basically lived in NY all my life and this would be a big change for me, shall it be Dallas or not. If I were you, I'd move half way from where you work and where everything 'happens' (City center I mean). Living in a very quite environment is indeed peaceful, but at our age we need a vibrant life.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,713 times
I moved to Dallas when I was 30 and now Im 36. I knew no one here when I moved. In about 1 week I was already meeting people who I still have as friends today. You just have to get out and do things. Once you meet one person usually you can meet lots of their friends and you are bound to hit it off with someone in the group.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Besides general volunteering (I do for schools and Habitat) you can work on a political campaign, go to gallery openings/walks, join the young DMA group, Preservation Dallas, etc.. there are several non-profit events each week and the big ones are usually on Saturday nights...

Take continuing ed classes at SMU...particpate in your college alumni group...

I meet so many people going out, but I do drink. You can still go to a place like Times Ten Winery in Lakewood, sit at the bar and not drink...other good places around here to meet people are Balcony Club at Lakewood Theater, **** and Bull Pub/Restaurant, The Old Monk, Blue Goose on Sunday afternoons, Lakewood Landing...

There are book clubs, film discussion groups, even a philosphy forum...

Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times
Start walking/jogging/running and join the DRC.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:48 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Check out Uptown this weekend...it's crazy around here due to he UT/OU game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas