Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2007, 05:45 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,153,674 times

Advertisements

We just recently moved in and our neighbor from the back has come by twice to welcome us by complaining that our dogs are barking too much. I am wanting to remedy the situation and would like to get some feedback from you guys. Do any of you own any ultrasonic anti barking devices? Collars?

Any ideas would be most welcome

Old 10-07-2007, 06:00 PM

200 posts, read 915,509 times
I had a dog trainer train my dog; at the end of the one month stay...the dog came back to us with a DOGTRA training collar...and was very well-behaved. The dog was not a robot...he still runs around & has 'personality' but he listens. The collar was a great aid. It doesn't hurt the dog...it just kind of reminds the dog that the behavior is unacceptable. I have felt the training collar on my hands; really, it's more of a buzz/ vibration. I didn't really ever even have to use it on him...when he had the collar on, he just knew... I believe Dogtra makes the 'bark' collars too...

Old 10-08-2007, 07:39 AM

3,380 posts, read 9,218,687 times
Wow a neighbor that cares their pets are a nuisance? You're my kind of neighbor!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:45 AM

49 posts, read 219,131 times
Ooh, that's a tough one. There are various bark collars. What I have found is that, with many of them, the dogs can figure out how to get around them, or they just get used to the negative stimulus and keep barking. This isn't always the case, of course.

Another issue with the collars is that some of them are triggered by loud noises in the vicinity and end up punishing the dog for something he has nothing to do with. And the final issue is that it's important to make sure the collar is functioning properly and not triggering constantly. I have heard of some problems with this.

Do you live in an apartment, a duplex, or and regular home? What kind of dog do you have?

When I had a barky dog, the main thing I did to limit her barking was to take care of the separation anxiety that was causing her barking. There are many books on this. You may also want to consider contacting an animal behaviorist with experience in classical conditioning.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:07 AM

15,273 posts, read 35,673,575 times
This really belongs in the pet forum, but I am very reluctant to move it there, as (in my experience, you will be crucified; therefore, I am closing it...let me know if you want me to move it to pets and I will do so. You will probably get lots of good answers and lots of venom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas