Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 36,280 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone,

Our family is relocating from Nashville to Dallas at the end of December. Our 9 yr-old daughter is in 4th grade at a very good parochial school and is an excellent student. She's enrolled in the Kumon Math enrichment program (in level G), plays the violin (since Kindergarten) and is in a competitive swim team (year-round).

We're considering St. Monica and St. Rita (both of which have openings in 4th grade for January). We're confident she will be accepted by both schools.

I would like to hear your comments/feedback regarding the pros and cons of each school (academics, social environment, teachers, leadership, parent involvement, etc.)

Our priority is academics, and the ability of each school to accommodate and challenge more advanced students.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 AM

332 posts, read 1,386,369 times
I would say both are academically good, not great schools. St. Rita being slightly smaller of the two, with smaller class sizes I believe. Neither are as good as St. Marks, Hockaday, Ursuline or Jesuit. Greenhill is probably better academically as well. In fact I would say some of the public schools are better, Highland Park ISD, Plano ISD, Coppell ISD maybe. They are however cheaper than the others and possible the only ones with room for admission in December. There are a ton of posts on the N. Dallas privates if you search city-data.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 AM

59 posts, read 170,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekv View Post
Neither are as good as St. Marks, Hockaday, Ursuline or Jesuit. Greenhill is probably better academically as well.
The original poster stated she has a daughter in elementary school.
Please keep in mind, St Marks is boys only. Jesuit is boys only and for 9-12. Ursuline is girls only, 9-12, I hear both Monica and Rita are feeder schools to Ursuline.
I am not in Dallas, still hoping to make that move, myself. I have looked into both Rita and Monica. Do you have time to attend church services at both, before you make your decision? I know that is what I hope to do. From my research one is not academically better than the other. If you would like to make the Parish school home, visiting during service might help you make up your mind.
For either school, have back-up plans for post-8th grade, as I read that competition is tough to get into Ursuline. Not that she can't! Just always good to have a back-up!
Either way, please keep us updated on your thoughts/research/decision. I would love to know, since I am debating between those two and HPISD, myself!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:15 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Good grief folks we have a new to Texas family here lets not issue useless/incorrect info to them.

Disclaimer: My son went to POP Catholic in Plano and then Jesuit. My daughter went to POP as well and is now at Ursuline. We live maybe one mile from St. Rita and maybe 1.5 miles from St. Monica we know dozens of kids and parents from both schools.

It's clear to me that both schools offer excellent academics and support to students. Both place signicant numbers of grads into Jesuit , Cistercian and Ursuline.

Ramblings
St. Monica - older buildings, at the dividing line between a great and not great neighborhoods, good sports

St. Rita - mostly rehabbed buildings, adjacent to Jesuit, good sports and closer to the aquatic center that is just north and west.

Without variance parents and kids from each school love the experience.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:37 AM

Thanks so much for your feedback!

We do have Ursuline in mind once our daughter finishes 8th grade, so we would like to stay with one school until she goes to high school.

I did read a few comments on greatschools.com regarding bullying at St. Monica. It appears to be a problem which the administration of the school has failed to address. I just don't know whether this is accurate, and if so, what the extent of the problem is.

We'll be joining the parish where the school is, so if anyone has any insight on these two church communities, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks again!

Old 10-04-2012, 11:51 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekv View Post
I would say both are academically good, not great schools. St. Rita being slightly smaller of the two, with smaller class sizes I believe. Neither are as good as St. Marks, Hockaday, Ursuline or Jesuit. Greenhill is probably better academically as well. In fact I would say some of the public schools are better, Highland Park ISD, Plano ISD, Coppell ISD maybe. They are however cheaper than the others and possible the only ones with room for admission in December. There are a ton of posts on the N. Dallas privates if you search city-data.
They are both VERY good schools and consistent feeders into Ursuline (girls HS) and Jesuit (boys HS), which along with another boys Catholic upper school (Cistercian) are the best Catholic schools in the metroplex.

Someone who is looking at Catholic education is probably not going to be a good fit for uber liberal Greenhill. Hockaday is a fine Girl's school - definitely the most prestigious academically- but it is tougher than nails to get into mid-year (anytime really) and may not be on the radar for a family who values Catholic (or any religious based) education.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patlav View Post
Thanks so much for your feedback!

We do have Ursuline in mind once our daughter finishes 8th grade, so we would like to stay with one school until she goes to high school.

I did read a few comments on greatschools.com regarding bullying at St. Monica. It appears to be a problem which the administration of the school has failed to address. I just don't know whether this is accurate, and if so, what the extent of the problem is.

We'll be joining the parish where the school is, so if anyone has any insight on these two church communities, that would be helpful as well.

Thanks again!
With your permission I'll ask someone at St. Monica about any bullying issues.

And with respect, I'd give almost no weight to "Great Schools" comments. My daughter's best friend is a SMS grad and has two siblings there now. I'll ask her parets and her as well and the teacher I referrenced above.

Last edited by EDS_; 10-04-2012 at 01:03 PM..

Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 PM

EDS, thanks so much for checking on St. Monica. I appreciate your taking the time to do that.

TurtleCreek, thanks also for your feedback. I did call Hockaday, since I had read that it's an excellent school, but was told they do not accept any students mid-year. I would rather not put our daughter into one school just to finish 4th grade, and then transfer her again next year, if she is accepted at Hockaday (which is not guaranteed)...

We do have a few decisions to make and lots to think about before doing so, so thanks for your input. It's hard enough moving to a new place where one doesn't have personal connections, so let me tell your help is much appreciated!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:14 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,297,678 times
All of the schools you are considering are very good schools. If you did decide to aim for Hockaday, 5th grade is not a bad time. The school opens numerous more spots in 5th grade. Generally speaking, Hockaday is easiest to get into Pre-K, and then 5th grade. Moreover, since numerous new girls will be joining in 5th, it would make the transition a tad easier. It seems like you have some good options already, but I wanted to make sure you had the inside information on Hockaday.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM

791 posts, read 1,220,331 times
We are also about to move to Dallas and we are considering public vs. Christ the King. I don't see this school mentioned nearly as much on this board as St. Monica's or St. Rita's but FWIW we met with the principal and teachers and were very impressed. According to the principal, every graduating student who applied was admitted to Jesuit (boys) and Ursuline (girls) last year. Good luck with your move and school choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: