Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:39 AM

7 posts, read 24,560 times

Advertisements

Hi Y'all,

I've been browsing these forums for a good 6 months now and just registered.
I pretty much have a job offer to go to Texas (Dallas) - to work for a small computer consulting company - I currently work for a well established, world known company up here in Canada and I am hesitent to leave comfort of that.

But here's the thing...I've always been intrigued by Texas - I'm a college football nut which is why I think I would fit in really good down there, I love Dr. Pepper, prefer hot weather over cold, and I LOVE the house prices + I am single so the prospects of meeting a beautiful girl with southern hospitality is very much a draw for me

Where I live now, the house prices are starting to rise (its already more $$$ here for the same house in Texas - realtor.com), not a lot going on here as far as activities, people are OK - not too many college football fans around here...the other thing that is keeping me here is that my aging parents live a couple of hours away and are soon going to need me to start taking care of them...

..but I am wondering if I am selling myself short by staying here and not moving to Texas - because the window of opportunity is getting smaller where this job offer may no longer be on the table...give me your thoughts...

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 05:48 AM

I forgot to mention that I am a 27 year old male...

Old 10-08-2007, 06:28 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
people in TX are usually pretty friendly--different culture but yes people here freak over college football--from what you describe as your likes, it seems that TX meets most of them...can't guarantee that a beautiful girl will offer southern hospitality but you might meet one or two...
question is--do you think this job is stable enough to sacrifice your current employment--right now in TX and US our economy is having some glitches--Dallas supposedly has had new jobs but some companies like mortgage companies/home builders/others have also had layoffs--there are foreclosures in Dallas housing market so you might find a good buy on a home since the market has cooled off

but remember that the Canadian dollar is for once more highly valued than the US...you would have to deal with immigration issues as well if you move (don't know anything about that...)

Old 10-08-2007, 08:01 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
people in TX are usually pretty friendly--different culture but yes people here freak over college football--from what you describe as your likes, it seems that TX meets most of them...can't guarantee that a beautiful girl will offer southern hospitality but you might meet one or two...
question is--do you think this job is stable enough to sacrifice your current employment--right now in TX and US our economy is having some glitches--Dallas supposedly has had new jobs but some companies like mortgage companies/home builders/others have also had layoffs--there are foreclosures in Dallas housing market so you might find a good buy on a home since the market has cooled off

but remember that the Canadian dollar is for once more highly valued than the US...you would have to deal with immigration issues as well if you move (don't know anything about that...)
It would be up to his employer to secure the appropriate visa for him to work in the United States; all the H1Bs have been given away for this year but there are other options they can try. That's kind of not relevant to his questions though.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:16 AM

I am thinking of a TN1 visa

Google TN1....

Old 10-08-2007, 08:26 AM

457 posts, read 431,478 times
I have worked in the Computer/IT industry in Dallas for 4 years. There are a TON of "small computer consulting" firms in dallas. They are a dime a dozen. If you have a really good job with a stable company, I'd give it a little more serious thought.

I am not saying you shouldn't consider it, but, these small PC consulting firms come and go, almost overnight, here.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 AM

Why are they a dime a dozen? from what I have heard, its soooo busy down in Texas for these PC consulting companies - they get to pick and choose what clients they want to serve...

thanks for the reply.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 AM

457 posts, read 431,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeboer View Post
Why are they a dime a dozen? from what I have heard, its soooo busy down in Texas for these PC consulting companies - they get to pick and choose what clients they want to serve...

thanks for the reply.
Although the market is indeed large, most of the larger companies prefer larger consulting companies. I am not sure who you are looking it, (and don't expect you to announce it, lol), but, that's just my experience. As a matter of fact, one of the little companies I worked for, bought another little compnay in 2005.
Twist Solutions acquires Nobel Technology - Dallas Business Journal: (broken link)

Old 10-08-2007, 10:35 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
I am thinking of a TN1 visa

Google TN1....
Oh yes, the Canadian visa. Good choice.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:26 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,005 times
Quote:
Hi Y'all,

But here's the thing...I've always been intrigued by Texas - I'm a college football nut which is why I think I would fit in really good down there, I love Dr. Pepper, prefer hot weather over cold, and I LOVE the house prices + I am single so the prospects of meeting a beautiful girl with southern hospitality is very much a draw for me

Thanks.
adeboer, the above part of your post is all I would need to hear. If you're having the sense of adventure, are intrigued by Texas and love college football then all you really need is permission to let yourself take a chance.

Should your 'dime a dozen' computer consulting company fail you'll be in a market where other consulting jobs can be found, and that's just in Dallas. May even be an opportunity to expand your horizons considering there are three major metro areas in Texas, Houston, DFW and San Antonio - Austin. It's a part of the adventure.

As your parents get older they may appreciate the warmer weather and choose to move to Texas as well. You should be able to find suitable seniors accomodations in or not far from one of those metros.

And as far as southern women... keep yer hands off Really, Texas has the most naturally lovely women in all of the lower 48, though if you're looking for real southern charm, you'll want to join the NRA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas