Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM

65 posts, read 233,927 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am looking to move to a suburb north of Dallas. Plano, or Allen seem to be to our liking.

What we are looking for is a safe community to raise children. Texas is overall appealing because of low taxes and we believe we found a good area as well in a north Dallas suburb for this. Our property taxes on a 3 bed 2 bath 2000 sq. ft. home with under a .25 acre, in Michigan is $2300. Let me know if I am off on thinking Texas will be lower in taxes.

Also, are jobs plentiful for Teachers. My wife is a certified teacher here in Michigan, but has had no luck landing a job for three years of trying now. They simply are very scarce in our poor economy, and with more people leaving Michigan than coming in, the future does not look good for her.

I am a Network Engineer. I have no idea where to start looking for a job, but my wife wants to work really bad, as teaching is her sincere calling, so we are willing to relocate if we can both work.

We are Christians that attend the Assemblies of God church, so we understand that this is the "Bible Belt" of Texas as far as a pentecostal lifestyle goes. This is not a huge factor in our move, but let me know if I am off on that thinking as well.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 03:10 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,149,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joedekock View Post
Hello all,

I am looking to move to a suburb north of Dallas. Plano, or Allen seem to be to our liking.

What we are looking for is a safe community to raise children. Texas is overall appealing because of low taxes and we believe we found a good area as well in a north Dallas suburb for this. Our property taxes on a 3 bed 2 bath 2000 sq. ft. home with under a .25 acre, in Michigan is $2300. Let me know if I am off on thinking Texas will be lower in taxes.

Also, are jobs plentiful for Teachers. My wife is a certified teacher here in Michigan, but has had no luck landing a job for three years of trying now. They simply are very scarce in our poor economy, and with more people leaving Michigan than coming in, the future does not look good for her.

I am a Network Engineer. I have no idea where to start looking for a job, but my wife wants to work really bad, as teaching is her sincere calling, so we are willing to relocate if we can both work.

We are Christians that attend the Assemblies of God church, so we understand that this is the "Bible Belt" of Texas as far as a pentecostal lifestyle goes. This is not a huge factor in our move, but let me know if I am off on that thinking as well.

Thanks for the help!
Your property taxes will almost certainly be more here, but there is no state income tax.

There are lots of Assembly of God churches around here; I see them all the time but since I'm not religious I couldn't tell you anything more about that.

I don't think your wife will have much if any trouble landing a job as a teacher in Texas, though she needs to do her homework about certification requirements.

Good luck!

Old 10-08-2007, 03:19 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Yes and it might help if she learns Spanish.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:33 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,898 times
honestly, if your choices are between plano and allen, just pick based on the home you guys want to get. The two towns are very alike and are so close together that it doesn't really matter.

As for your job hunt, you've come to the right place. D/FW has a huge telecom corridor. Companies off the top of my head: Nortel, Alcatel, TI, EDS, and Ericson. There's a ton of telecom companies, those are just the big ones.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:05 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Actually, I think it's pretty tough to get a teaching gig here from out of state. The teaching shortages are for bi-lingual and secondary science and math. You'll have no trouble if you can read and speak Spanish.

Info on how to become a Texas teacher:
</title> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset="> <meta name="robots" content="index,follow"> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0"> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache"> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no-cac (http://www.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/certinfo/becometeacher.asp?width=1024&height=768 - broken link)

Old 10-08-2007, 07:34 PM

583 posts, read 2,634,330 times
Hello J-Two things...
Michigan taxes and TX are really different. Since we pay no state income tax we pay high property tax. It is something you must consider when you are purchasing your home. It can add several hundred dollars to your house pymt. if you escrow them in. Taxes equal about 2.4% (lowest) to about 2.8% on around 90% of your home value. (If I am wrong here--someone can help me out.)
ON teaching........my daughters teacher just moved here over the summer (july) and is already teaching (obviously, right) in a elementary school. She siad it was pretty easy to acquire a job. I am not sure about having to know Spanish. I can certainly see where it helps but it does not appear to be a make or break situation here in Mckinney.
Good luck with the search.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Yes and it might help if she learns Spanish.
That's no problem for her. She has been working as an English as a Second Language Aid for the last three years. Her job is to help Spanish speaking children who struggle with English.

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2007, 08:53 AM

Can anyone provide a good site for Condo or home leasing or rentals in these area's?

Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
Teacher Job Network Home

This is the website for the local education service center's page of current job openings.

Not a lot of job openings right now but there will be at mid-term (January).

Please know that not all districts pay the same.....Texas has a base pay salary schedule (not much $$) then the wealthier districts supplement that salary based on the district's wealth. Hard-to-find teachers often get a bonus above that local pay scale.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:39 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,271,498 times
Sounds like you would be happy in Plano or Allen! Plano and Allen have lots of good churches and amenities. Plano is an older, larger suburb than Allen, but they do have many similarities. They are both very safe communities. My husband and I have lived in Plano for about 12-13 years and we really like it here. But as someone else said, sounds like your property taxes would be a little higher here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: