Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,474 times

Advertisements

I am new to this and not sure how it works, so any advice will be helpful!

I am looking for a preschool for my 2 month old baby girl. I am a doctor and have to go back to work soon so I was looking for the cleanest and best child care facility in Plano.
I live in Plano and work in downtown so I would like a preschool that is on the way to work every morning.

Does anyone have an experience with preschools? She is my first child, so I am very nervous about leaving her with strangers but I think it's very important to have children her age around her rather than be one on one with a nanny all day.

THANK YOU GUYS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 11:09 AM

19 posts, read 51,522 times
For a 2 month old and with location as a primary consideration, you're not looking for a preschool. You are looking for a daycare center. If you have privileges at any hospital, they all have great childcare for their physicians. IMO, she will be better off with a nanny or a stay at home parent based on the ratio of children to caregivers and the amount of attention your child will receive. But if you are going to put your kid somewhere, Creme de la Creme or KidsRKids will probably be what you're looking for. Good luck.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:46 AM

38 posts, read 67,255 times
Being a physician you already know that babies this young need love & care of parents not play buddies. Anyhow, life is not perfect so considering money isn't a issue best alternatives would be a healthy grand parent or a full time kind hearted nanny, ideally supervised by a grand parent or close relative. I ran childcare facilities for a decade and my experience doesn't see any benefits in sticking an infant with overworked & underpaid daycare attendants. These places are germ central even when they have high standards because its not possible to maintain ideal hygienic conditions with that many babies around and so many times overstressed parents drop their babies in center before they finish infectious period. Once your child is three years old then he'll need play mates and would benefit from a some what structured environment but 2 months is 2 early. This is not a judgment just an honest advice from a dad who's been there.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:03 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
DFPS - Search Texas Child Care

Here is the official daycare search for TX. In my opinion, you should look for places that are accredited by NAEYC Standards for Early Childhood Professional Preparation. The Primrose group of daycare centers in Plano are one example of NAEYC accrediated daycares. There are also church facilities that are accredited.

All daycares are germ central (prepare to be sick a lot), but I disagree that babies don't need playmates. My 18 month old daughter loves her school friends, and they work as good stand-ins for brothers and sisters (even in imaginary form). Kids begin to play beside each other at around 10-15 months old if they have been socialized from a young age.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 11-14-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 03:24 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Relative -> Nanny -> At Work -> In Home -> (Daycare - Primrose or other Chain) -> Local Chain

Keep in mind that when your kid is sick that mean no daycare and/or you have to go get them. If you have a lot of hard work responsibilities, it will be difficult in the extreme. This is your primary constraint that dominates your other criteria.

Your kid may or may not get sick a lot. My son got sick a lot. Daughter has been sick twice in 2 years - she goes to an in home daycare and grandma will come over if she is sick.

If it is a relative OR a nanny then you can still go to work when your child is sick. The other places - no way. Most places require at least one day fever free. That means 2 days out most of the time.

This was one of the reasons my wife and I went with a Nanny for our son. My wife HAD to work since she was CEO at the time. Given your situation, a relative or nanny seems best.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
Relative -> Nanny -> At Work -> In Home -> (Daycare - Primrose or other Chain) -> Local Chain
We interviewed about 20 in-homes in Plano, and never found a single decent one so I would order your list differently. They all had just as many children as the daycares, high turnover, and all had worse facilities (ie, their home) with more violations. They were generally a bit cheaper too of course than professional facilities.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 PM

38 posts, read 67,255 times
Cousins, neighborhood kids, play groups, mommy/nanny/ granny & me, library story time, local parks etc can provide all the peer socializing a toddler needs till three. One thing they need most is love.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:50 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamney View Post
Cousins, neighborhood kids, play groups, mommy/nanny/ granny & me, library story time, local parks etc can provide all the peer socializing a toddler needs till three. One thing they need most is love.
Agreed. Even the better daycares just have the little babies all laying on mats together. It's not like they are getting a significant amount of 1:1 or even 2:1 attention and nurturing.

OP, assuming you have the income I would STRONGLY encourage you to reconsider the nanny option. Once baby is a bit older, nanny can do all of the above with baby and then when you have a 18-24 month old, you can start with a real nursery school/ pre-school environment 1-2 days a week for extra learning/stimulation/socialization.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:28 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
To echo the always reasonable TC80, go the nanny route.

It's tough leaving the little ones for work.

However, if finances permit, the nanny option offers the most control and accountbility for the first 2 years- it can be at your home and it can be monitored. Relatives are best, older aunts or grand parents if possible. The 2 years will come and go in a flash and you'll be wondering who this little creature suddenly talking back to you is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas