Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:06 AM

89 posts, read 208,236 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity for a new position in Irving and am considering a move from Baltimore. Dallas is one Texas city that I have never visited, so I am a little at a loss at what to expect and would welcome any comments or suggestions.

Current situation: mid-30's, married without kids, but would like kids in a few years so schools are a definite consideration. Currently live in one of the prime downtown Baltimore neighborhoods within walking/biking distance to pretty much everything (restaurants, stadiums, music venues and other attractions.) I basically park my car on Friday and it doesn't move until Monday in warm months. Would love a similar setup or something close with easy access to bars, restaurants, etc.

We would almost certainly rent for a year to get our bearings, but would ultimately be looking to buy in the $300k-500k range. Not looking for a long commute either (no more than 30 minutes), not sure if that is possible.

We are very down to earth and laid back and would be looking to meet similar folks in Texas. I have heard that Dallas can be a little pretentious, but I obviously take that generalization with a grain of salt so please do not take offense. For anyone familiar with the east coast, would you say that Dallas is more Baltimore or DC?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 08:59 AM

793 posts, read 1,223,293 times
I used to live in Dallas and about to move back from mid-atlantic. It doesn't remind me much of DC or Baltimore but I'd have to say it's less like DC than Baltimore. I suspect many will disagree with this based on schools but I love walkability and older neighborhoods and based on that and your budget and job location, if it were me I would look at as smaller house in Devonshire or Greenway Crest, ideally walkable to shops and restaurants around Inwood Village (Inwood Road and Lovers Lane). Everyone I know that lives in those areas goes to private shools, which can get expensive...but that's what I'd do. I'm sure others will have other opinions too, especially areas with better public schools. Good luck!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Las Colinas area of Irving will be a quick commute, and will also have a lot of people similar to your family. Unfortunately, DFW has very few walkable neighborhoods, and almost none of them have good schools and are in your price range. Keep in mind that private schools can run $10k and up per year...

Old 11-21-2012, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the comments. If we take public schools out of the equation and are willing to settle on a more suburban location, would that change anyone's opinions? Is our price range too low? A nice but small 3 bedroom rowhouse in my Baltimore neighborhood can easily be anywhere from $350k-500k so I thought for sure we could find something with a lot more space for that kind of money.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:24 AM

793 posts, read 1,223,293 times
If you want suburban, you have LOTS of choices in your price range! Christie P's suggestion of Las Colinas is good one for that!

Old 11-21-2012, 09:54 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeliz View Post
I have an opportunity for a new position in Irving and am considering a move from Baltimore. Dallas is one Texas city that I have never visited, so I am a little at a loss at what to expect and would welcome any comments or suggestions.

Current situation: mid-30's, married without kids, but would like kids in a few years so schools are a definite consideration. Currently live in one of the prime downtown Baltimore neighborhoods within walking/biking distance to pretty much everything (restaurants, stadiums, music venues and other attractions.) I basically park my car on Friday and it doesn't move until Monday in warm months. Would love a similar setup or something close with easy access to bars, restaurants, etc.

We would almost certainly rent for a year to get our bearings, but would ultimately be looking to buy in the $300k-500k range. Not looking for a long commute either (no more than 30 minutes), not sure if that is possible.

We are very down to earth and laid back and would be looking to meet similar folks in Texas. I have heard that Dallas can be a little pretentious, but I obviously take that generalization with a grain of salt so please do not take offense. For anyone familiar with the east coast, would you say that Dallas is more Baltimore or DC?

Thanks in advance!
No, what you have heard is spot-on....Dallas is quite pretentious overall. I know people will chime in with their own personal experiences of salt-of-the-earth folks around here...and there are some...but the overall vibe is pretentious IMHO.

There are precious few areas of DFW that meet your criteria. Uptown is probably your best bet but if that's what you're looking for, I'm not sure Dallas is for you.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:08 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
I'd agree with the reference to Uptown. It's a fairly direct and trouble free drive too and from Irving, destination dependent of course. If you're looking for something more of a Baltimore Harbor atmosphere you might be more interested in Las Colinas.

Uptown is more urban and built upwards. Las Colinas more suburban and spread out.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
No, what you have heard is spot-on....Dallas is quite pretentious overall. I know people will chime in with their own personal experiences of salt-of-the-earth folks around here...and there are some...but the overall vibe is pretentious IMHO.

There are precious few areas of DFW that meet your criteria. Uptown is probably your best bet but if that's what you're looking for, I'm not sure Dallas is for you.

Are there many transplants in Dallas or has the majority of the younger adult population grown up there? I realize it is probably very differerent from east coast cities in terms of the urban setting. I can deal with a quainter suburban locale (ie. independent restaurants, bars, cafes), but I'm not sure strip malls and chain restaurants would be a good fit.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeliz View Post
Are there many transplants in Dallas or has the majority of the younger adult population grown up there? I realize it is probably very differerent from east coast cities in terms of the urban setting. I can deal with a quainter suburban locale (ie. independent restaurants, bars, cafes), but I'm not sure strip malls and chain restaurants would be a good fit.
Dallas seems to be mostly transplants these days. Townies like me (who were born and raised here) are uncommon. In my office of 13 people, only 3 of us are "native".

If you don't like strip malls and chain restaurants, you won't like most of DFW. A lot of our transplants scream with glee whenever a new location of a west coast chain (like In N Out or Trader Joe's) opens in Dallas, like now it's "civilized".

Basically it sounds like you want Uptown or nothing. I think Uptown is really the only area that comes close to what you're looking for.

Best of luck!

Old 11-21-2012, 11:40 AM

This may be an unfair comparison, but is Dallas in any way like Austin? Also, what would the commute from Uptown to Irving be like? Thank you all so much for your input!

Last edited by deeliz; 11-21-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas