Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 06:45 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,476,777 times

Advertisements

For those of you that have had your old manual read Electric Watt-Hour Meter (with spinning horizontal wheels or pointers) changed-out to the new digital 'Smart Meters' - you should register with Texas Smart Meter so you can monitor and manage your home electricity usage online. You'll be able to view your electricity usage online in 15 minute increments or the daily usage.

And...if you like being able to monitor your electricity usage online you may also like monitoring your water consumption online too [if you are a Plano city water user]. You should register with The City Of Plano. (Other DFW suburbs may also provide online water consumption monitoring service too.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 02:28 PM

931 posts, read 2,135,729 times
Reliant Energy does it for me with alerts, my weekly usage and how much spent daily and monthly bill. I am signed up for smart meter monitor but Reliant so much easier.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:06 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
This is very interesting! But since we'll be renting (most likely an apartment) for our first year in the Big D, we probably won't be able to take advantage for some time...

Old 11-24-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
This is very interesting! But since we'll be renting (most likely an apartment) for our first year in the Big D, we probably won't be able to take advantage for some time...
If you will be billed directly for your electricity usage, and the service address has a Smart Meter, then this online information will be available to you.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
How do I find out if I am eligible for a smart meter?

Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 PM

931 posts, read 2,135,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Easy way is to go online and check it out. Need an electric bill for some of the info. Or call your electric company and ask them

Old 11-25-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Look at your watt-hour meter to see if the meter is digital (like the image on the left below), or if it has the old style pointer (like the image on the right below) or old style horizontal wheels that physically move. If the watt-hour meter is digital (like the image on the left below), then you are eligible to signup and monitor your electricity usage. Your Smart Meter needs to have been installed for about 60 days before you are able to signup and obtain the usage information.

You will need two bits of information - both available from a previous electricity bill. You will need your 'Energy Service Identifier', which is known as the ESI ID. You will also need your Meter Number. As said - both are on your electricity bill.

With the two bits of information (ESI ID & Meter Number) you can create a residential account with Texas Smart Meter and start monitoring your electricity usage.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:30 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times
I have owned this home in 75093 zip for just over 2 years. Do I request a smart meter be installed or will they just do it? I couldnt find online what areas were getting or able to get smart meters as was the case in Houston as I recall before moving to Plano.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:41 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
For those of you that have had your old manual read Electric Watt-Hour Meter (with spinning horizontal wheels or pointers) changed-out to the new digital 'Smart Meters' - you should register with Texas Smart Meter so you can monitor and manage your home electricity usage online. You'll be able to view your electricity usage online in 15 minute increments or the daily usage.

And...if you like being able to monitor your electricity usage online you may also like monitoring your water consumption online too [if you are a Plano city water user]. You should register with The City Of Plano. (Other DFW suburbs may also provide online water consumption monitoring service too.)
Why would I want some bureaucrat controlling MY electricity usage? That's really what it's about. PSE&G offered me a new "free" thermostat, along with a $75 gift card if I would allow them to shut me down for "only 15 minutes" every now and then.

What they should do is take control of the thermostats of the recipient class in government housing.

Old 11-25-2012, 04:02 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why would I want some bureaucrat controlling MY electricity usage? That's really what it's about. PSE&G offered me a new "free" thermostat, along with a $75 gift card if I would allow them to shut me down for "only 15 minutes" every now and then.

What they should do is take control of the thermostats of the recipient class in government housing.
That's a GREAT question, alphamale. First, you're right about the free thermostat, and I wouldn't have one as I wouldn't be interested in anybody outside the perimeter of my home monitoring what's going on inside that perimeter.

On the SmartMeter itself, I have one and glad I do. If you recall a couple of winters ago when Texas had rolling power outages during a hard, statewide freeze, the SmartMeter was a saving grace. At about sunrise sometime I heard my PC rebooting, then went back to sleep. Woke up again when it rebooted again so got up to investigate. During an online opportunity I found out about the rolling outage, just in time for the next one. The outages were hourly and off for 15 minutes each. As the next one began I called the Elec company - using cell phone - and during the push button voice process I punched in RESIDENTIAL. Two minutes later my electricity was back on and did NOT go off for the rest of the day. So, I had internet and continuous heat. That would not have been possible with analog metering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: