Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:19 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times

Advertisements

What is the plan to change Jasper feeder in PISD? I read somethings on line and on CD but need clarification for when and what the changes are all about. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 12:15 PM

350 posts, read 749,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
What is the plan to change Jasper feeder in PISD? I read somethings on line and on CD but need clarification for when and what the changes are all about. Thanks in advance
Okay, so there are in effect two plans- one for the class of 2015, and one for all classes after 2015.

For students in the class of 2015:
All of Rice and Robinson will feed Jasper --->Plano West

Students at Schimelphenig had the choice of either going
Jasper---> Plano West Or Clark ----> Plano Senior

For students in the class of 2016 and after:
All of Rice and Robinson feeds Jasper ----> Plano West
All of Schimelphenig feeds Clark ----> Plano Senior. However, Schimelphenig students are guaranteed a transfer to Jasper (but not Plano West) if they want it.

Most of the super students at Plano Senior came from Rice Middle School (the school is over 50% Asian), so it will be interesting to see what happens to Plano West when that group switches over.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:25 PM

Thanks, I do not have kids although schools were a consideration in buying in West plano two years ago. So you are saying West Plano should be even more "competitive" with the Rice students feeding to WP? Is that a source for a disproportionate number of the NMS students in Plano ISD? What will be the impact of Schimelphenig feeding Plano Senior long term?

Old 11-25-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I do not have kids although schools were a consideration in buying in West plano two years ago. So you are saying West Plano should be even more "competitive" with the Rice students feeding to WP?
Yup. Right now, without Rice Middle School, Plano West edges out Plano Senior slightly as far as SAT/ACT scores are concerned. When you move Rice to Plano West, you'll see a bigger disparity. I would expect Plano West to start consistently beating Highland Park in ACT/SAT scores once you add in the Rice kids for class of 2015. If the demographics interest you, Plano West will go from about 19% Asian to 27%. Competition aside, it will be a truly diverse school.

Remember the "Save Plano West" crew from the re-alignment dispute? This is why they were unhappy. They knew Rice Middle School was the most competitive in PISD, and wanted to save Plano West from the overachievers there.

Quote:
Is that a source for a disproportionate number of the NMS students in Plano ISD?
It's one of the many sources, but yes, it certainly is a source for NMSF, as well as All-State musicians, Siemens Semifinalist/Finalists, AMC high scorers, and so on and so forth. Assuming a new class size of 1500, and about 4.5% of students making NMSF (what we had this year without Rice), you'll be seeing close to 70 Merit semifinalists in a graduating class.

Quote:
What will be the impact of Schimelphenig feeding Plano Senior long term?
Not much. Schimelphenig already feeds to Plano Senior. It's a good school, but not as good as Rice or Robinson. However, I do think Schimelphenig will make Clark High School pretty strong.

What I would be thinking about:
Traditionally, many of the top students from Rice go to TAMS, and dominate the top of the TAMS class. Plano ISD devised mathrocks (class of 2016 and beyond) as a way of educating these top students whom otherwise wouldn't be well served by the district. The goal of the school board was to lessen the brain drain TAMS has on PISD. If successful, this will change the face of Plano West.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:44 PM

Thanks so much for the education, pardon my ignorance but what is TAMS? I gather it is some private school or special program but am not clear at all as a newbie to Plano.. 2 years is all I have been here and without kids am out of the loop on school things other than what I learn on here...

I want to thank you for being a member of CD and for the great insights from your perspective on many issues parent types ask about....

I had no thought about all state music being strong in PISD. I am from a musical background with a brother running a university wind program who recruits Tx heavily. Can you expand on the PISD music achievements? I might attend a concert at a local school if the talent level is what I suspect....

Old 11-25-2012, 02:18 PM

You're welcome; thanks for the compliment!

TAMS is the Texas Academy of Math and Science. It's a school for grades 11-12, funded by the state of Texas, and takes in applicants from the entire state. It's housed at UNT, and students live in a dorm at UNT, take real college classes, and do research in the UNT labs.

As far as music- last year PISD had 76 students who were selected for all state band/orch/choir. Last year, the concertmaster for the top all state orchestra was a Plano West junior. This year, all state auditions haven't happened yet for band/choir, but 30 PISD kids made all state orch. Traditionally the orchestras have been the strongest, but bands/choirs are still good. This year, the Plano West chamber orchestra was second place in the state Honor Orchestra competition, and I don't think Plano Senior and Plano East were too far behind. The non-chamber group isn't anything special, but if you do ever go out to see a concert, Plano West Chamber Orch is quite impressive.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the run down.....I see a concert at Plano West for the Chamber Orch in my future.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 PM

27 posts, read 47,761 times
This is going to have a positive effect on West Plano's house values.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:12 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,925,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balooshahi View Post
This is going to have a positive effect on West Plano's house values.
That's not what people were saying this time last year.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 AM

38 posts, read 67,230 times
LOL! They were wrong and things are better then before. In a big district there is always someone complaining but overall it's working out nicely. I see smaller districts with a lot more issues then us but being a big and top performing district even our little flaws are always magnified and a matter of public scrutiny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas