Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM

23 posts, read 54,294 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My husband and I are looking to build somewhere in the north Dallas area. We are currently in Flower Mound and want to be closer to 75 and the Tollway. We are looking in the Allen vicinity, but are open to all cities in that area... Plano, Frisco, parts of Dallas, etc.
I'm hoping you might be able to recommend specific neighborhoods or subdivisions that meet our criteria.
-new construction or built in the last 5 years
-safe and family friendly
-3500+ square feet
-large lots, or at least not stacked on top of each other
-great public schools and nearby private school (haven't decided which route we will go- we have preschoolers)
Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:53 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
W. Plano, Frisco (but will be EXPENSIVE for lg. lot) will meet all those. Allen is another option, but don't know of any areas that have lg. lots (.35 ac+). There are some in McKinney (.25-1.5 ac ~ Mallard Lakes area), but depending upon where you work, that may rule it out.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
How about Murphy? It's just east of 75 & Bush and at least part of it feeds into Plano ISD. I think all the lots there are a min of 1/4 acre with many 1/5 acre lots. Should be new construction and relatively new construction available to choose from.

Also, Fairview, Lucas, and Parker (all east of 75) all offer large lots (up to acreage), good public schools, and new construction. They aren't exactly close to the DNT but if you're considering Allen, it's the same distance.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 PM

Thanks, TXGolfer. We work out of the house so commute is not an issue. TurtleCreek, I haven't looked at Murphy- I will check that out!

Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM

227 posts, read 529,154 times
If you want to have good public schools but also have an open option of good private schools nearby than Plano is the obvious choice. Allen or Frisco schools aren't at the same level and decent private schools have a very long commute from there.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:49 PM

Could you share specifics on Plano schools? I'm a M.Ed but only know the Austin area school in and outs. Clearly Plano has some great spots, but I believe there are some bad ones as well... Thank you!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:22 PM

227 posts, read 529,154 times
You can get all specifications, details, facts and opinions about Plano schools by running a search on this forum. There are numerous old threads where this topic has been discussed in great detail. However, in the end your budget and commute are going to be the deciding factor about which part of Plano you should pick.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:30 PM

323 posts, read 633,546 times
For good schools and newer homes with decent size lots near tollway, you should look in far west Plano. Their zip code is 75093.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 PM

Thanks, Bypass! Exactly the info I needed.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:38 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williams18 View Post
Could you share specifics on Plano schools? I'm a M.Ed but only know the Austin area school in and outs. Clearly Plano has some great spots, but I believe there are some bad ones as well... Thank you!

Being a transplant from Austin as well, let me try to interpret. W. Plano = Westwood, Lake Travis, Leander ISD's(upper tier). Allen = Leander & LTISD (mid to lower level). Same for McKinney (but on a slightly higher level). Frisco = mix of Bowie, McNeil and Anderson HS's. Lot of potential but just fall short, but still very good. Lower than Allen & McKinney (IMO).

Highland Park = Eanes, but not quite as good.

Plano = closest thing you're going to get to Eanes w/out the heft price tag (perspective, you're still paying high price for W. Plano/Plano area). But you don't absolutely have to be in W. Plano. And both Plano West & Plano Sr. both had 44 NMS's.

Plano ISD leads state in National Merit Scholars | Dallas-Fort Worth Communities - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

So schools in the W. Plano & Plano Sr. area would be #1, (unless obviously you could afford HP). McKinney, then Allen and Frisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas