Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 06:55 PM

267 posts, read 618,871 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I've posted here a few times before, having been on many a weekend visit from near Kansas City. I am tempted to move down here, but I have a few questions.

As far as my career, I am a System Engineer (IT) with 18 months experience. Are certifications such as A+ RHCE, etc essential to get callbacks? Also, is having a 214/972/469 number essential as well? I obviously don't live here now. Any other tips?

Also, unlike back home where Kansas City the city itself resembles more of a third world slum than an actual city, I would actually want to live in Oak Lawn/Uptown areas. I live currently in the rich Johnson County KS suburbs, which is very nice and safe, however there are NO singles here whatsoever. 1200 a month for rent in Oak Lawn seems a bit steep, however it may not be an issue if salaries are better here than in KC (I think they might be slightly). I also read something about the "village" by 75 where the rent is more reasonable, are those apartments nice at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Would you seriously call Westport or the Plaza/Ward Pkwy areas of K.C. "third world"?? How about Crown Center/Union Station or even downtown with the Power & Light district? Then there's the City Market....

Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 PM

267 posts, read 618,871 times
Those areas are fun to visit, but I don't want to live there. They're still very high in crime because the thugs east of troost go over there to break into houses and everything else. The reason they do this is because the justice system does not prosecute them for much of anything.

Is this the case in Oak Lawn/Uptown?? Is there a lot of crime in the trendy neighborhoods??

Most apartments in the KC areas are run down, and the few nice ones start at 1400-1500 a month, more than the equivalent in Dallas neighborhoods. Some of the nightlife is fun, but there are tons of basic things in life that are completely nonexistent in the urban core. I'm talking only one overpriced, dangerous grocery store. Only one small gas station (that actually works). Everything not nighlife related, you have to go to Johnson County for. And yet in JoCo there are like zero single people.

Sorry to rant, I'm not trying to turn this into depression. I was just curious about the IT job market in Dallas. I just find it pretty awesome though that this is a city where I actually want to live in the city itself rather than the suburbs, when I have lived my whole life in nice suburbs hating the city.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:05 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Those areas are fun to visit, but I don't want to live there. They're still very high in crime because the thugs east of troost go over there to break into houses and everything else. The reason they do this is because the justice system does not prosecute them for much of anything.

Is this the case in Oak Lawn/Uptown?? Is there a lot of crime in the trendy neighborhoods??

Most apartments in the KC areas are run down, and the few nice ones start at 1400-1500 a month, more than the equivalent in Dallas neighborhoods. Some of the nightlife is fun, but there are tons of basic things in life that are completely nonexistent in the urban core. I'm talking only one overpriced, dangerous grocery store. Only one small gas station (that actually works). Everything not nighlife related, you have to go to Johnson County for. And yet in JoCo there are like zero single people.

Sorry to rant, I'm not trying to turn this into depression. I was just curious about the IT job market in Dallas. I just find it pretty awesome though that this is a city where I actually want to live in the city itself rather than the suburbs, when I have lived my whole life in nice suburbs hating the city.
Sorry - didn't mean to rain on your parade, but I've visited KC many times, both city and suburb, and always came away positively impressed. Guess visiting is one thing, but living there is quite another apparently!

We haven't lived in Dallas long, so can't really answer your questions about the specific areas you asked about. But I'm sure others here will soon!

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 01-27-2013 at 05:48 PM..

Old 01-27-2013, 05:45 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Oak Lawn and UPtown are relatively safe. Any area of any city can have crime which should behoove any/all persons to practice usual crime prevention safety. Keep doors and windows locked. Don't leave valuables exposed in autos. Don't sleep in street gutters, etc.

I would suggest you find something less costly and take a six month lease. This would give you time to find an area and apartment that will suit your lifestyle. Depending on your work location you may want to live somewhere else. Use Craigslist/Dallas/Housing/Apts.. In the search box put 'Oak Lawn' and/or 'Uptown' and set to 'Entire Post'.

I'll find a post I sent to another poster with some like results and put them in a PM to you.

You might also considering taking a weekly motel/hotel. It might cost a bit more but give yourself a few weeks to get the lay of the land.

Last edited by Willsson; 01-27-2013 at 05:54 PM..

Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM

92 posts, read 162,543 times
I remember seeing many of your previous posts when you were visiting the Dfw area. I assume you liked what you saw while visiting. I regards to the Oaklawn area, sure there are many place that rent for 1200+ but there are also places that are older and smaller complexes that are offer lower rents. Of course the residents will be of a lower income level and will be a bit more diverse which isn't necessarily something someone should be overly concerned about. I live in such a complex with no issues at all. The Village is always a safe bet and it is also reasonable distance from the action of uptown. Unfortunately, I have no first hand knowledge of the current state of the IT industry.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Oak Lawn and UPtown are relatively safe. Any area of any city can have crime which should behoove any/all persons to practice usual crime prevention safety. Keep doors and windows locked. Don't leave valuables exposed in autos. Don't sleep in street gutters, etc.

I would suggest you find something less costly and take a six month lease. This would give you time to find an area and apartment that will suit your lifestyle. Depending on your work location you may want to live somewhere else. Use Craigslist/Dallas/Housing/Apts.. In the search box put 'Oak Lawn' and/or 'Uptown' and set to 'Entire Post'.
Great advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
You might also considering taking a weekly motel/hotel. It might cost a bit more but give yourself a few weeks to get the lay of the land.
Those extended stay places are field with some of the sketchiest characters around. One of my friends lasted a few days, and then begged to stay on my couch for a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Hey guys, I've posted here a few times before, having been on many a weekend visit from near Kansas City. I am tempted to move down here, but I have a few questions.

As far as my career, I am a System Engineer (IT) with 18 months experience. Are certifications such as A+ RHCE, etc essential to get callbacks? Also, is having a 214/972/469 number essential as well? I obviously don't live here now. Any other tips?

Also, unlike back home where Kansas City the city itself resembles more of a third world slum than an actual city, I would actually want to live in Oak Lawn/Uptown areas. I live currently in the rich Johnson County KS suburbs, which is very nice and safe, however there are NO singles here whatsoever. 1200 a month for rent in Oak Lawn seems a bit steep, however it may not be an issue if salaries are better here than in KC (I think they might be slightly). I also read something about the "village" by 75 where the rent is more reasonable, are those apartments nice at all?
Oak Lawn/Uptown areas are generally safe, but Oak Lawn has a few trouble spots, most of them are being demolished or will be soon. A good apartment in Oak Lawn(75219) will go for A $1.50 a square foot, and up. You can find a nice studio for under $1200, but a full 1 bedroom is going to be $1000 +. Uptown(75219) &(75204) will be a little higher than Oak Lawn, but there are nice older places that have better residents than the older Oak Lawn apartments. Just do your research!

Northern Oak Lawn(75235) has a lot of newer places that are running great specials right now. Also, check out the places around UT/Southwestern and Parkland.

The Design District(75207) off Oak Lawn Ave. also has great places and has very good highway access.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Ditto on North Oak Lawn. It's quiet, relatively safe but near Uptown, the bar strip in Oak Lawn, the bars/restaurants along Knox-Henderson, Central Expressway, and the Tollway. If you find an older, but well-maintained, building -- and you don't need all the bells and whistles of a fancy apartment complex -- you can find something more in line with your budget.

Failing that, The Village is a good choice, at least while you get your bearings in the DFW area. It's full of younger people and those who've just moved to town like yourself. Also be aware that the units in The Village, which is made up of many different buildings and sprawls over a huge area, can vary from building to building. They're not all uniform.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: