Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2013, 05:56 PM

4 posts, read 7,257 times

Advertisements

I am a single blk female, that will be relocating to dallas in jan. I am looking for a descent apartment that is safe price range really CHEAP (350-550) until i can find my way around so i dont waste too much money in a place i dont like. Please help. If you can recommend a REALLY great place then price is no issue. I am looking for a diverse area as well in SAFE area. Thanks alot....Cant wait to see my Cowboys play in person!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 06:09 PM

307 posts, read 532,134 times
I think you'd love my area in Cedar Hill, diverse, safe, but you need to double your rent amount. It would be hard to find anything in that price range and still meet your criteria. Will you be working in a certain area? If you want more of a singles area you might look across town in Uptown area, but again, your rate is a problem.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
Where will your work be located? DFW is huge and commutes here can be really lengthy...

Old 09-19-2013, 09:14 PM

988 posts, read 1,829,045 times
I moved to Dallas area a little over three months ago, so take that for what it's worth. But at least I might be able to help you from the perspective of having gone through the process recently (and I'm also a former Midwesterner - though other side of the Mississippi River).

I would agree if you can find a place near a job (so find the job first) is a good piece of advice. Traffic can be a total bear in my experience, and I am very happy I do not have much commute.

I would also agree, from what I saw when looking, your rate will be your problem. Admittedly, to live near work I had to pay more, but I don't think I found much (if anything) in the price range you were looking.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,104,421 times
I haven't seen rent prices for a 1 bedroom apt in North TX below $500-550 or so, usually even higher. Only way you'd find a rate like you're looking for is if someone is looking to rent out a bedroom of their house or something.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:27 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
I would try Gaston Avenue East Dallas/Lakewood area (if you are working in a central location)-- however you need to know what you are doing (or get help) selecting an apartment - some are good, some are great (more expensive than your budget), some not-so-good and some are really bad. To start, search 75214 and 75206. This will be at the top of your budget. I don't think you will find anything less than $500 in a safe area, unless someone is renting a room, but most of those I have seen were at least $400 and that was some time ago. Gaston is on the bus line.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:33 AM

4 posts, read 7,257 times
thanks for all the replies, I am able to pay more but I set this limit because I don't want to blow a lot of cash in a place I don't like. I am willing to pay $800 max, if it worth it. I will be working near west moreland and groveview dr, what is this area called....what type of area is this? middle income,high income, low income??

Last edited by FoxxyLadyG; 09-23-2013 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-23-2013, 04:42 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
That's called South Oak Cliff, and it is very low income. It's also very high crime. Please be careful.

Cedar Hill would be fairly close to that area, and still would be safe.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:07 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
It's not South Oak Cliff (east of 35/67), it's Oak Cliff. There are some pretty nice homes on wooded lots with creeks in that general area, but I'm not sure about the apartments. I have driven there to various school events over the years and two or three in the past year. Some of the apartments I saw on the major roads did not look very nice. I would suggest you try a little north of there, say north of Jefferson. There are many new shops and restaurants and a bohemian, almost yuppiesh crowd moving in there. Google Bishop Arts District. To the north of that are the super nice residential areas of Kessler Park and Stevens Park. Many options for housing but you may have to do some driving and digging around to find something suitable at that price.

Cedar Hill is also a good suggestion but I don't know anything about the prices there, I am thinking they will be higher.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,301 times
this is some good info to have i am also moving to dallas soon. so south oak cliff is bad and north oak cliff is ok??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas