Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:16 PM

9 posts, read 17,194 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband and I will be moving to Dallas next year. I will be transferring from my Milwaukee, WI location to Dallas TX. The job location is off the 1200 block of West Mockingbird Ln (I believe this is by Dallas Love Field). My husband will also be transferring from his job to a Dallas location, so the jobs are taken care of! Its the location we are having issues with. We are 30 and 31 with no children but would like to start a family within the next couple of years once we get down there.

So, here are my questions:

1. Which location should I be looking to rent the first year?
a. Our rent would be okay at $800 for an one bedroom, we currently at two bedroom for around $1100, but we want to save for a house..

2. Which area would provide an easy commute within a 30 minutes rush hour, etc, but a low-crime area, don't mind travel to stores, etc, we do that now.

3. Living in a diverse community is exactly we are looking for, we love to be around other ethinicities, so that isn't a concern for us (since I've been reading postings about living within their race) we want a neighborhood that is diverse, safe, down to earth, and friendly (my husband is a character and loves to have fun)!

We currently live in the city, it's not the inner city, but its the city...so we are totally city people but we are about 20 to 25 from downtown, so I really don't care being farther away from downtown.

Some members from our church stated we should live in North Dallas, but what cities does that include? What zip codes should we be considering?

Thanks in advance for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 12:36 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
I say save living in North Dallas for after you have kids, while you're still a young couple enjoy the lifestyle in Uptown/Knox-Henderson or M Streets. Lots of great people in those areas in your age group that are professionals, coupled and single.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:54 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
There are some new apartments just to the east of Love Field behind Sewell (car dealership) you might check out. You could live there until you find a neighborhood you like.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,846 times
Unhappy Get out of town while you can!

I'm so sorry that you are moving to Dallas. I'm from Canada and moved here because my husband is American and it was easier for me to move than him. Nursing is great that way.You can move anywhere.
Dallas is not the place to have children. The crime is horrendous, the schools are awful. I have never seen such an ugly city in all my life. I have travelled all over the USA and more and this is what hell is."DALLAS" Dead dogs along the highways, people killing each other, people driving without car insurance, people carrying guns. Remember there is a reason why they carry guns here.And if your a nurse here, you will see that MOST patients are rude, obnoxious and clueless about health. I guess it has to do with greed. It overflows here! Racisim is still around and strong here. Never encountered it until I moved here.So much hatred. So a good place to live- Orgeon, Seattle, New York, Maine if you can't move out of the USA. Yes, better place to live would be North of Dallas Frisco. Anyway good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by DST2Sentinel View Post
Hello all,

My husband and I will be moving to Dallas next year. I will be transferring from my Milwaukee, WI location to Dallas TX. The job location is off the 1200 block of West Mockingbird Ln (I believe this is by Dallas Love Field). My husband will also be transferring from his job to a Dallas location, so the jobs are taken care of! Its the location we are having issues with. We are 30 and 31 with no children but would like to start a family within the next couple of years once we get down there.

So, here are my questions:

1. Which location should I be looking to rent the first year?
a. Our rent would be okay at $800 for an one bedroom, we currently at two bedroom for around $1100, but we want to save for a house..

2. Which area would provide an easy commute within a 30 minutes rush hour, etc, but a low-crime area, don't mind travel to stores, etc, we do that now.

3. Living in a diverse community is exactly we are looking for, we love to be around other ethinicities, so that isn't a concern for us (since I've been reading postings about living within their race) we want a neighborhood that is diverse, safe, down to earth, and friendly (my husband is a character and loves to have fun)!

We currently live in the city, it's not the inner city, but its the city...so we are totally city people but we are about 20 to 25 from downtown, so I really don't care being farther away from downtown.

Some members from our church stated we should live in North Dallas, but what cities does that include? What zip codes should we be considering?

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:54 AM

585 posts, read 362,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendlewilkie View Post
I'm so sorry that you are moving to Dallas. I'm from Canada and moved here because my husband is American and it was easier for me to move than him. Nursing is great that way.You can move anywhere.
Dallas is not the place to have children. The crime is horrendous, the schools are awful. I have never seen such an ugly city in all my life. I have travelled all over the USA and more and this is what hell is."DALLAS" Dead dogs along the highways, people killing each other, people driving without car insurance, people carrying guns. Remember there is a reason why they carry guns here.And if your a nurse here, you will see that MOST patients are rude, obnoxious and clueless about health. I guess it has to do with greed. It overflows here! Racisim is still around and strong here. Never encountered it until I moved here.So much hatred. So a good place to live- Orgeon, Seattle, New York, Maine if you can't move out of the USA. Yes, better place to live would be North of Dallas Frisco. Anyway good luck
I hope to God that you're joking.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:58 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWAg View Post
I hope to God that you're joking.

I doubt it. Pretty accurate based on my experience there.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:39 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Quote:
It would be interesting to note where exactly you live and work in the Dallas area as I do not see dead dogs along highways or people killing each other. I don't even see the guns that you state we are all carrying.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:06 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:

Exagerate much????
Surely you must be in a different "Dallas" and NOT Dallas, Texas as the description you give does NOT fit Dallas, Texas at all.

OP, avoid this one as it is clearly a very exagertated individual that obviously does not much about Dallas and the area at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
It would be interesting to note where exactly you live and work in the Dallas area as I do not see dead dogs along highways or people killing each other. I don't even see the guns that you state we are all carrying.
No kidding. I'd say a wee bit much of the bottle on that one.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:38 PM

28 posts, read 100,541 times
I have to say the Canadian poster is representing TX in a bad light.. Texas is one of the most polite states in the country, has some of the most courteous drivers, and is just a great state. ( I am originally from TX BTW).All cities have bad parts but my gosh, she made it sould like St Louis or something.I am not from Dallas but i can imagine it being that bad.

Last edited by ryanruns; 02-16-2010 at 01:45 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 09:29 PM

122 posts, read 348,947 times
I'll agree that the DISD is really not a good school district but Dallas is a really cool place to live. A lot of the murders happen because of drugs and all that comes with that. You don't cause any problems and you will be ok. I do not hear a lot about murders to just random people. Just like any big city, yes, there is crime. But it is not as bad as people make it out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: