Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:42 PM

20 posts, read 52,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
As a graduate of North Mesquite High School nearly 20 years ago, I can definitely say that things have changed since I was there, and not for the better. NMHS used to be known for a good football and marching band program, but it's no longer the powerhouse it once was. When I was there, gangs and drugs were just getting established. Now, the school has a significant drug problem, and has had several students die from overdosing on "cheese" heroin.

As for living in Mesquite, my family all moved away, starting with my parents in 1993, my grandfather in 2003, and my sister and her family in 2005.

My parents' reason for moving away was crime and the neighborhood going "downhill" because of less-than-desirable people moving in. Our neighborhood used to be nice, but as the original owners moved out and the new people moved in, houses started showing peeling paint, yards went unmowed, and low-rider cars with loud stereos started becoming more common. The last straw was when their house was broken into and vandalized. They escaped to the country in Rockwall County.

My sister's reason for moving was schools. The teachers seemed to do a very good job teaching, but my sister was really worried because the other kids were pretty rough, and her sons were the only non-minority kids in their classes. Her oldest son was getting ready to go into middle school at Vanston, and she was really worried becuase the school had a bad rating and there were gangs there. So, the family moved out to Royse City, and they are a LOT happier with the schools there!

There are a few neighborhoods of duplexes, but honestly, they are not well-maintained. The ones that come to mind first are off Americana Drive behind Town East Mall, and they are dumpy. The only "condos" I'm aware of are apartment complexes.

If you are going to put a kid in Mesquite schools, you MUST be in the area that feeds into Poteet High School. Horne HS is BAD, and MHS is not much better. WMHS was never nice, and see above about NMHS.

Mom and I still go back to Mesquite to get our hair done (by our AWESOME hair stylist), and I can honestly say I would not live there again! Too much traffic, too much crime...

Christy P you graduated from N Mesquite in 87 or 88? I got my GED at Mesquite High in 85. Did you know who Leah Patterson was the head of the Pace Setters at Noth Mesquite? I didnt know her well just knew who she was in 1985 she was the lead Pacesetter just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Unfortunately this pattern will be repeated over and over as urban sprawl and 'new is better' dominates people's thinking. Today's shiny suburb is tomorrow's ghetto unless there is some reason for people to stay and redevelop. It seems Richardson is trying to do everything they can to avoid this. Not having 'classic' homes which don't go out of style may hurt them, but if the McMansion trend marches north of LBJ, then they may be able to pull it off. But then again there may be a movement to renovate the mostly well-built homes there...but I wouldn't bet on it at this point. The other saving grace is something that has benefited Central Dallas - the further out they keep building the more desirable close-in areas become.

Mesquite has to compete with the shiny stuff across Ray Hubbard, but maybe that will eventually help them as those areas grow stale and Greenville, Texas is the new place. But Mesquite made a big mistake by not joining DART.

I also said Lake Ray Hubbard, Rowlette and Rockwall as two of my top 10 for that reason and everyone said Iw as nuts, thanks for making my point again.

BTW The news has reported Rockwall as being one of the last places to build in Dallas also Rockwall is reported as having the biggest job improvement in Dallas it has had mor ebusinesses and jobs come into Rockwall over the last year then any other suburb of Dallas and is the number one area for jobs as reported on the news for Dallas;

Old 09-09-2008, 01:50 PM

This whole thread has many points I wanted to make about Mesquite in my original Mesquite thread but when i did I was either crazy according to yall or a terrible person for not appreciating my perfect gorgeous town of Mesquite.

Thankyou for putting up this trhead, you guys have proved every singles point I tried to make under my Mesquite thread.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:57 PM

45 posts, read 126,022 times
Default Mesquite

I lived in Mesquite for 23 years

Good area (South Mesquite Creek Crossing area in particular)

Other areas of Mesquite not as nice quite a bit older very congested around Town East Mall area

Schools are very good MISD has lots of exemplary schools no nonsence school policies on behavior they have a school dress code teacher to student ratio very good

Good Luck

Old 10-02-2008, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
I knew Leah Patterson. I graduated with her in 1985. Do you know her now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas