Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 07:31 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Feel bad I only have a TV and not a 110'' screen. Really bad.
Hey, I don't even have a TV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 07:53 PM

297 posts, read 512,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
Feel bad I only have a TV and not a 110'' screen. Really bad.
It's a giant step up from that old box thing that we had to go across the room to change the channel and volume. Or to readjust the homemade antenna of a brick wrapped in foil with two wire coat hangers.

It's also nice for these old eyes that can't see as well as they used to.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:55 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Hey, I don't even have a TV!
Yeah, we know...

Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,015 times
How much does a decent projector cost? More or less than a decent sized tv?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:47 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
How much does a decent projector cost? More or less than a decent sized tv?
Decent is a very subjective word... If you don't care about 3D, and you have a dedicated theater room that you can keep pitch black when watching movies, then I'd recommend the Epson 8350, it'll run you about $11-1200.

There are other choices out there from the $1k to $1400 range that will also work, but the 8350 is pretty much the top projector in that price range while still giving you an incredible picture.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
there is also that projector you can plug into your IPhone ...

Old 02-14-2013, 08:45 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Has modern day home projectors improved that much that people would buy them instead of a large quality flat screen? I'm more interested in quality vs size and the last projectors I saw wasn't all that great.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:01 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Has modern day home projectors improved that much that people would buy them instead of a large quality flat screen? I'm more interested in quality vs size and the last projectors I saw wasn't all that great.
We have a couple high quality flat-screens and an LCD projector. IMO if you can control ambient light in your video room pjs offer a better experience - you don't need a pitch black room but a very bright room won't work. If you can't an LCD is better. Technically, flat=screens have better resolution. That said ultimate resolution isn't a huge deal with pjs because watchers don't sit close to the screen, normally anyway.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,683,015 times
I'm beginning to think I'm just going to go with a projector. I mean, the media room will be enclosed and 14x20 feet... should be enough for a 100 inch screen.

This is going to be awesome!

Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM

77 posts, read 341,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
We have a couple high quality flat-screens and an LCD projector. IMO if you can control ambient light in your video room pjs offer a better experience - you don't need a pitch black room but a very bright room won't work. If you can't an LCD is better. Technically, flat=screens have better resolution. That said ultimate resolution isn't a huge deal with pjs because watchers don't sit close to the screen, normally anyway.
The resolution is the same for a 1080p TV and a 1080p projector, it's 1080p. The main difference is brightness, contrast, handling of motion, etc. Different technologies have different looks as well, DLP, LCD, LED, DILA, SXRD, etc. And for those wondering about the picture quality of a projector, modern projectors are excellent when ambient light can be controlled.

Another great projector under $1400 is the Mitsubishi HC4000. Better contrast than the Epson 8350 but not as bright overall. Sony, JVC and Epson also have great projectors.

Regarding coax and cat 5/5e/6, I'd run both to the areas where you would have a cable box. Some services like Uverse can use either but Directv and Dish still require coax to the box. From the box to the TV or projector is where you can use cat 5e or cat 6 to distribute audio/video rather than use HDMI. Quality baluns to convert HDMI to run over cat 5e/6 aren't cheap so sometimes it makes more sense to run HDMI. (or just run conduit so you can do anything)

As streaming media is becoming more prevalent, having your equipment hard wired over cat 5e/6 is better than using wireless. Use wireless for your laptops and ipads but hard wire your smart TVs, bluray players, etc. That is one reason to run multiple cables to your primary TV locations (2 coax and 2 cat is pretty common)

Upstairs, downstairs is just a preference thing. The location that is convenient so it gets used is what is important. That's why downstairs off the kitchen or family room is a nice option, those are often the areas where people hang out. I spend as much time watching the 19" in the kitchen as I do going upstairs and watching in our media room. lol (my wife won't let me put a 60" in the kitchen, go figure.)
I see many downstairs that are now multi function rooms with windows, etc. Close the blinds and it's perfect for a projector or leave them open for play time with the kids or entertaining or just reading a book in a quiet room.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas