Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 AM

371 posts, read 543,800 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
I moved here in early December, and am getting the hang of working a crazy schedule (I work 12 hr rotating shifts) and am ready to start trying to make friends and meeting new people. I am originally from south of Houston, and lived there for 25 years before moving to finish up some school, and then finally, I moved to this area after school.
I really am not the bar scene sort of person (and kind of do not feel safe going there alone!), I am in my upper 20s, single woman with no children. I live in a fairly rural area, so I know I probably will have to do some driving to get anywhere to socialize. I am more of an active outdoorsy person, but unfortunately I am pretty shy so that has always gotten in the way. Any suggestions? I am going to join a local gym in the next week- but it is fairly small and did not seem to have too much activity in it so I am not sure about the opportunities with meeting people there.
Thanks in advance everyone. =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 12:29 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,923 times
Have you tried going to any events through meetup.com? You can find people in your area who share your interests -- whether it's sports, music, speaking a foreign language, going to ethnic restaurants, etc., and whoever's in charge of that particular group puts together events for members. It's a good non-date, non-work environment way to meet people.

Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup -- and then filter for Dallas.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:43 PM

371 posts, read 543,800 times
I have tried and am a member on some groups, but have not found many groups that have much activity. My time on weekends off is fairly limited due to me working half of them- it seems like most of the activity for the outdoors is limited to weekends (I knew this coming into this field it would be like this, but did not know I was going to have such a hard time meeting people and finding things to do!) I am going to keep plugging away with it and maybe might find something that will be available when I am off of work!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:37 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,664 times
Meetup.com was going to be my suggestion too.

Another good avenue is volunteering. Find something that interests you (SPCA, homeless shelter, boys and girls club, etc), and you will meet other adults that may have similar interests.

Did you attend a particular university/college? They may have an alumni group here.

If you like being outdoorsy, join a running club or bootcamp that meet outdoors. If you have a dog, or have been thinking about getting one, a dog park can be a great place to strike up a conversation.

If you join a gym, try to go to some of the classes. You will tend to see the same people each time and it will be easier to start a connection with them.

I know when you are shy if is hard to be the one to initiate things. Try to give yourself a goal each time you are in a potential social situation....like "I will initiate a conversation with at least 2 strangers while I am here." The person may not be receptive, or they may become your new best friend...ya never know until you try

Old 03-04-2013, 08:05 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,862 times
Living in a rural area like Lancaster is going to limit your options somewhat. If you can't find any meetup groups, perhaps start one yourself centered around things you like to do. That's one way to find others that share your interests and it sounds like your demographic is rather underserved around there. Meetup groups can attract some...interesting...individuals so if you go that route, be prepared.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Living in a rural area like Lancaster is going to limit your options somewhat. If you can't find any meetup groups, perhaps start one yourself centered around things you like to do. That's one way to find others that share your interests and it sounds like your demographic is rather underserved around there. Meetup groups can attract some...interesting...individuals so if you go that route, be prepared.
That's one way to put it.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 PM

645 posts, read 835,822 times
Bars! Meet people and if you are single... women!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:34 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,862 times
[quote=FourFiftyFour;28500410]
I really am not the bar scene sort of person (and kind of do not feel safe going there alone!), I am in my upper 20s, single woman with no children. [quote]

Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,484,431 times
You mention that you are outdoorsy - try Sierra Club - Dallas Sierra Club.
OR
Volunteer Trinity River Audubon Center | Audubon
OR
Try a workshop. Oil and Cotton — Workshops I always think when all else fails, make art!! :-)

Old 03-05-2013, 05:47 PM

645 posts, read 835,822 times
Come on.... There are some nice bars out there with good people. Just go there talk and come back home. That is what i would say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas