Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 06:57 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,546,327 times

Advertisements

I'm hearing that these fees can get pretty hefty, and would like to get a handle on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2006, 09:55 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
The norm for an area that does not have a community pool but some common areas but still not a large park or anything is usually about $25 a month. Then there are some that are much higher. Where I am I have to be a member of two, our neighborhood HOA and the larger community swim & rec club. So if you are in a really nice one w/ the community pools and all it can run you to about $600 a year. Just depends on what you want.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:04 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,148,644 times
As you look, sites such as Realtor.com or my personal favorite ziprealty.com (for the map based view that maps the homes that meet your criteria) often show you the HOA fees.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:11 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,435,670 times
momof2dfw is spot on. I've shopped all over the area and the lowest I've seen is $25 per month. These areas have no pool/parks, but may have some area greenery than needs upkeep. 680 is the highest I've seen and that was in Stonebridge. Stonebridge has alot of ammeniteis, so personally I think that's cheap.

I pay $90 a month here in San Diego and that was a selling point to the home I bought. Most people here pay closer to $200 a month for hoa. My mother-in-law pays $275 !! Again, Stonebride is a deal for about $60 a month.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:11 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,673,809 times
Default HOA Fees

Though not living in Dallas, San Antonio also has HOAs. The one I live in costs $257 a year (comes out to $21.42 a month), payable quarterly or yearly. Here is what we get for this:

Two large recreation areas (The first is 14 acres and the second about 1/2 mile away is 25 acres)

First area has:
Large swimming pool
Fenced children's play area
Two tennis courts
One basketball court
Volleyball area
Walking/running track
Football/soccer field
Large pavilion

Second area has:
Large swimming pool
Large clubhouse/office
Walking trails in the future

Right now we have about 2,500 homes. We also have an HOA manager, assistant manager, and secretary (all have salaries). I'd say we get our moneys worth.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:50 PM

633 posts, read 2,542,272 times
Do all areas have HOA's? I find them to be somewhat restrictive. If I wanted to live in a hotel or an institution where everything was the same I'd do so.

I'm not a slob or trashy by any means, but I think it's crazy they can tell you what color to paint your house, or what color of window treatments to have or what kind of landscaping you choose. After all, it is YOUR home, not theirs. Or at least so I thought

Old 04-04-2007, 05:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawksweetie View Post
Do all areas have HOA's? I find them to be somewhat restrictive. If I wanted to live in a hotel or an institution where everything was the same I'd do so.

I'm not a slob or trashy by any means, but I think it's crazy they can tell you what color to paint your house, or what color of window treatments to have or what kind of landscaping you choose. After all, it is YOUR home, not theirs. Or at least so I thought
Most new and newer developments do have them. Not all of them are THAT restrictive but there are some that are. I know of one in McKinney that has a list of approved plants, flowers, bushes and trees and forbids swingsets even the wooden fort kind. And it is supposed to be "family friendly". LOL!!! If you find a house you like and it is part of an HOA you can ask the seller to view their CC&R's (Covenant, Codes and Restrictions) and their Bylaws. I would also stop and ask people you see out about the HOA. Some can be very good and sensible while some are just plain gestapo (or what I call people that have no control over anything in their life and suddenly find themselves in a position of "power").

Old 04-04-2007, 05:06 PM

633 posts, read 2,542,272 times
Thanks, that helps me a lot

Old 04-04-2007, 05:21 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,275,819 times
We live in what's called Chase Oaks in Plano. Our homeowners' association dues are only $60.00 a year. Now we do not have a community pool/park etc. In our case, joining is voluntary.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:22 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,435,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I know of one in McKinney that has a list of approved plants, flowers, bushes and trees and forbids swingsets even the wooden fort kind. And it is supposed to be "family friendly".
I know where you are talking about....And you have to admit, it's one of the nicest looking overall areas in North Dallas. In 5-10 years, it will still look good. Add that they have weekly dance and reading activities for kids, area golf tournaments, fishing events, etc. Not sure why you hate that area so much. Trafic is tough, but it's a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas