Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:05 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonperson View Post
The same can be said of HP. As for Woodrow, well, off the top of my head, I know Woodrow students headed to Duke in 2011 and Northwestern and Yale in 2010. Yale is Ivy, and Duke and Northwestern are generally equivalent to Ivies, just in a different sports conference. See, e.g., Woodrow salutatorian awarded Gates scholarship | Advocate Magazine
6/8 of top HP grades 09-12 went Ivy. Only 1/8 of Woodrow top grads did. Even if you include Duke and Northwestern as they are T20 schools, HP's top grads still got a much higher matriculation rate into T20 schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
And just to round out the list, from 2010:
Woodrow: Northwestern and Yale
HP: Harvard and Princeton
TAG: Stanford and UT
SEM: MIT and MIT
Jesuit: SMU and Georgetown
St. Mark's: Brown and Harvard

And last, from 2008:
Woodrow: SMU and Southwestern
HP: Clemson, Yale, and Georgia Tech
SEM: Columbia and Rice
TAG: UT and Washington University
Jesuit: Dartmouth and TCU
St. Mark's: Stanford and Stanford

Clemson and Georgia Tech? Those are Ivies now? As I said, there is little real difference in any of these lists. (And I think my takeaway is that I'd be scratching my head if I were a Jesuit parent.)

I didn't say ALL - I said 6/8 which is a much higher batting average than Woodrow. Not sure why you're dropping Hillcrest, BA, etc into this thread since it has nothing to do with the schools OP inquired about.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:09 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
6/8 of top HP grades 09-12 went Ivy. Only 1/8 of Woodrow top grads did. Even if you include Duke and Northwestern as they are T20 schools, HP's top grads still got a much higher matriculation rate into T20 schools.
Do you think choosing Woodrow over HP would preclude your children from getting into Brown?

Old 03-15-2013, 02:10 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,776 times
Quote:
I didn't say ALL - I said 6/8 which is a much higher batting average than Woodrow. Not sure why you're dropping Hillcrest, BA, etc into this thread since it has nothing to do with the schools OP inquired about.
Hillcrest is in PH. And this thread long ago devolved. I mean, OP wasn't asking about HPHS either...

Old 03-15-2013, 02:15 PM

256 posts, read 448,381 times
Quote:
Just like to give a shout out to the smart poor superstars. And to point out that DISD's superstars compete at the exact same level as the "elites." You care about the abilities of your own kid and your own budget and opportunity costs, not the entire class. And if the ROI is going to be LSU, I'd say that HP was a pretty crummy investment.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Hillcrest is in PH. And this thread long ago devolved. I mean, OP wasn't asking about HPHS either...
Yeah really. Maybe this convo should be split off into an HPISD vs DISD smackdown where all discussions about that subject would go from now on.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Exactly, LOL. Wonder how it feels for competitive mom and dad to drop $1million on a house and have junior end up at LSU? That's gotta sting a bit, especially looking at the kid from Rockwall who got into Harvard in 2011.
Not every kid / parent is gunning for Ivy / T20 colleges. And that's ok. This thread was discussing top students and I doubt any HP kids in the top 20% are picking LSU (unless it's a ridiculous full ride and then, more power to them).

Considering the bottom 20% kids at Woodrow either aren't going to college at all or are at El Centro, the bottom 20% of HP kids who end up at Tech, Alabama, Ole Miss, etc are still a few legs up on their WW counterparts and are matriculating into the same tier 2 schools their private school counterparts are.

Also considering pretty much everyone with a substantial (3000SF, single family detached) family home in the Park Cities is paying $1M+ to live there, there are MANY more reasons to choose the Park Cities than just the great public schools -> "concierge" quality fire & police departments, well kept public parks & pools, near 0% crime rate, best central suburban-feeling location in Dallas, community events & support, etc. Even if jr isn't destined for Ivy, it's hardly as though the family "suffered" through their Park Cities existence for 20+ years to educate him. They got to live in one of the best urban enclaves in the US.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
Do you think choosing Woodrow over HP would preclude your children from getting into Brown?
The better the high school profile, the deeper a kid can rank in his/her class and still get into a better school because the colleges know & respect the strength of curriculum. The valedictorian from Skyline can get into Ivy, but someone ranking after 1-2 probably wouldn't. Maybe a T10 kid at Woodrow can get in. At HP, a kid could probably rank down to about 25-30 and still get in (based on people I know).

Same reason why kids outside T8% won't get into UT from Woodrow but a T40% kid can still get in from HP. HP's 40th% is probably equivalent to Woodrow's 8th% pool.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Just like to give a shout out to the smart poor superstars. And to point out that DISD's superstars compete at the exact same level as the "elites." You care about the abilities of your own kid and your own budget and opportunity costs, not the entire class. And if the ROI is going to be LSU, I'd say that HP was a pretty crummy investment.
But this thread isn't about DISD's top superstars. Val's and Sal's at every DISD have a good shot at a fabulous college.

This thread is about comparing HP's top quintile vs Woodrow's....a conversation anonperson brought about. In no way can a rational human being who can read statistics and scores argue that Woodrow's top performers best HP's, which is exactly what anonperson is arguing.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:30 PM

256 posts, read 448,381 times
Quote:
Not every kid / parent is gunning for Ivy / T20 colleges. And that's ok. This thread was discussing top students and I doubt any HP kids in the top 20% are picking LSU (unless it's a ridiculous full ride and then, more power to them).

Considering the bottom 20% kids at Woodrow either aren't going to college at all or are at El Centro, the bottom 20% of HP kids who end up at Tech, Alabama, Ole Miss, etc are still a leg up on their WW counterparts and are matriculating into the same tier 2 schools their private school counterparts are.

Also considering pretty much everyone with a substantial (3000SF, single family detached) family home in the Park Cities is paying $1M+ to live there, there are MANY more reasons to choose the Park Cities than just the great public schools -> "concierge" quality fire & police departments, well kept public parks & pools, near 0% crime rate, best central suburban-feeling location in Dallas, community events & support, etc. Even if jr isn't destined for Ivy, it's hardly as though the family "suffered" through their Park Cities existence for 20+ years to educate him. They got to live in one of the best urban enclaves in the US.
Comparing apples to apples, I suspect the bottom 20 percent of the white professional Lakewood population of Woodrow is going to the same LSU as the bottom 20 percent of the white professional HP population. We are not comparing poor minority low-performing Woodrow students who are not going to college at all with the affluent HP population. And the dumb rich white kids at Woodrow are no dumber than the dumb rich white kids at HP. And the smart kids at any DISD school are as smart, as evidenced by their college acceptance, as the smart kids of HP or the privates.

I don't disagree that you get other benefits from living in PC, just as you get other benefits from living in PH or Lakewood. But if people are going to act like education is the driving factor, then recognize that you don't need to pay private school or insane home prices if your kid is an elite. (Nobody really wants to admit that his kid is in the mediocre middle.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: