Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 AM

24 posts, read 59,914 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Dallas and have been invited to submit a late application to Hockaday and St. Marks for my kiddiwinks and I need a bit more input if anyone has any...
Firstly, academic rigour is very important to me and I lean towards the principles of a classical education. Does anyone know whether these schools ascribe to that ethos..I realise that the teaching of Latin, Ancient Greek and Classical Civilisation as subjects may well be present but I'm wondering if the principles of Logic, Philosophy and Rhetoric are interweaved in any way with the formal curriculum?
Secondly, being British and unfamiliar with the culture of private schools here, I am curious to know about the general tone of the personal aspects of a successful application. In England, we're very big on a school contributing greatly to the character of a child and slightly less, I think, than America, on their academic performance. It seems to me that over here the outcome of their education is measured to a large degree, by their various scores, matriculation to a reputable University etc. Is that correct or am I mistaken?
My concern is that if I were to apply as I would at home, I would be emphasising the importance of Aristotelian virtue, self discipline and the ability to reason, aswell as to be provided with the opportunity to benefit from and contribute to meaningful relationships. Would this be an utterly redundant conceptual framework (ha!ha!) to present as a prospective family? What do people in America put on their applications do you think? I'm not suggesting that I would be in any way deceptive about my wishes, rather that I might more appropriately emphasise other aspects of my objectives for the children's education. Any ideas..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,093,497 times
I'm assuming since you are considering both Hockaday & St. Marks that your children are both girls & boys going to each. I'm not that familiar with St. Marks, but have heard great things. I am familiar w/ Hockaday in that a few of my Sr. partners at work send their daughters there, and I have to say I am always impressed with them after each encounter.

The core values of the school are concern for their fellow man, friendship, love of learning and a foundation in ethical principals to last for life. I would say that at least on the surface and hearing what these girls are involved in, they have learned well.

This is from their site:

Quote:
hrough small classes, creative teaching, and an approach which emphasizes the process of learning, Hockaday seeks to discover unique aptitudes and awaken the intellectual curiosity of every girl.

Through a strong physical education program and the challenge of competitive sport, Hockaday seeks to develop in each girl an enthusiastic spirit, a healthy body, and a sense of responsibility for herself and her actions.

Through a continual exposure to the arts, Hockaday seeks to engender an appreciation of beauty and joy in self-expression that will bring added enrichment to each girl’s life.

Through constant emphasis on moral and ethical values, Hockaday seeks to nurture a courteous attitude, a sense of grace, respect for the ideals of human worth and dignity, and a harmonious and mature character well equipped to make responsible choices and withstand the pressures of today’s society.
If I lived closer to the area I would love to have my girls in this program. I would highly encourage a visit to tour and analyze the campus/environment. I believe that your foundation and core belief(s), wishes and concerns vis-a-vis the Aristotelian ethics would be a good match to their ethos.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 AM

269 posts, read 863,517 times
Although neither Hockaday nor St. Mark's seeks to deliver anything close to a classical education in the true sense of the term, you can definitely safely apply to Hockaday or St. Mark's "with a focus on Aristotelian virtue, self discipline and the ability to reason, as well as to be provided with the opportunity to benefit from and contribute to meaningful relationships." If you are indeed looking for a classical education, The Cambridge School might be worth a look -- it is definitely the most traditionally classical education among high schools in Dallas -- though its emphasis is perhaps too heavily Christian to appeal to many Europeans. (Among elementary schools Providence provides a very similar option -- classical education, but heavy emphasis on Christian worldview.)

Old 03-27-2013, 12:03 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
I was going to recommend Providence as well. They have a really unique curriculum as far as the Dallas private schools go.
It is absolutely a Christian school, but their commitment to providing a classical education rooted in philosophy, languages (Latin begins in elementary school), classic texts (classicap to the point their library doesn't even stock Harry Potter or other current books!) may be quite appealing to you.

It is co-Ed, preschool thru 8th grade and is on Lovers Lane between the Tollroad & Love Field (close to the Park Cities, if that is where you ended up focusing your search).

From their website:
Providence defines “classical” education in the broad sense of being traditional, time-tested, and intellectually rigorous rather than in the narrower sense of being centered in Latin and Greek studies. A classical education is based on great ideas, great books (including primary sources when possible), foundational truths and principles, and enduring traditions and skills. See the Core Values for further explanation.

Providence Christian School of Texas | Classical Education

Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 PM

"...though its emphasis is perhaps too heavily Christian to appeal to many Europeans."

Spot on. I've found all of that somewhat tricky..we're more your sort of C.S. Lewis Christian types..

Thank you - those replies were very helpful and I'm grateful to you for taking the time to help. I am slowly figuring it all out.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:21 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedolala View Post
"...though its emphasis is perhaps too heavily Christian to appeal to many Europeans."

Spot on. I've found all of that somewhat tricky..we're more your sort of C.S. Lewis Christian types..
t.
The hideously strong kind.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
The hideously strong kind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas